Am I lifting Heavy?

Options
I am currently doing this every second day. I am female 5'4" 140lbs size 6 with quite a bit of muscle mass. I am using 15lb dumbells in each hand unless noted. There are 3 circuits done twice 14 reps each time.

Circuit 1
Overhead dumbbell squat
Pushup
Dumbbell bulgarian split squat
Incline dumbbell bench press
Hanging leg raise

Circuit 2
Goblet Squat 25lb dumbbell
Dumbbell bench press
Dumbell Lunge
Dumbell Chest Fly
V-up with 10lb plate

Circuit 3(ab focused)
Lat Pulldown 45lb
Swiss ball hip raise and leg curl
Cable Row 45lb
Bosu ball legs up medicine ball twist 20lb
Static squat til fail about 60 sec
Plank twists

Replies

• modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Just want to make sure I am fueling my body properly.
  • addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Am I lifting Heavy?

14 reps? not heavy enough.

Lift so heavy you can only get to 10, without breaking proper form
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Are you increasing the weight? Or are you staying at the same 15 lbs?

You'll need to increase the weight so that it's "heavy" when you lift between 1-5 reps of that weight...

What is your goal? Is it to get stronger? If so, you'll need to lift heavier. And incremental increases are the key. Lifting heavy involves your central nervous system, not just muscle fibers... and you don't tap into the same fibers and signals needed when you don't lift heavy. You simply won't accomplish much at all... just a negligible calorie burn.
  • modernmom70
    Options
    So I should be heavier doing less reps?
  • JennieAL
    Options

Fueling your body is done through your diet.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I am not saying this to be discouraging, because it looks like a great work out, but to answer your question...imo that is not lifting heavy.
  • modernmom70
    Options
    Are you increasing the weight? Or are you staying at the same 15 lbs?

You'll need to increase the weight so that it's "heavy" when you lift between 1-5 reps of that weight...

What is your goal? Is it to get stronger? If so, you'll need to lift heavier. And incremental increases are the key. Lifting heavy involves your central nervous system, not just muscle fibers... and you don't tap into the same fibers and signals needed when you don't lift heavy. You simply won't accomplish much at all... just a negligible calorie burn.

I started at 12lbs so yes I am increasing, but I also increased the reps from 12 to 14 recently, should I have increased the wieght more? And I am sure based on my heart rate during the circuit that my calorie burn is pretty good. I am not trying to lose weight really.
  • addisondisease2
    Options
    You fuel your body with food.
    So I should be heavier doing less reps?
    Less reps and same weight would be easier. Go so heavy that 10 reps is barely possible.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    If you are doing 14 reps, you are not lifting heavy.
  • addisondisease2
    Options
    Lifting heavy is an anaerobic exercise, your heart rate shouldn't/doesn't matter.
  • modernmom70
    Options

Yes I understand that I am a clean eater, I just want to make sure I am getting enough calories and macros, I have quite a muscle mass. I am a size 6 and 140lbs and only 5'4" not much body fat.
  • addisondisease2
    Options

Yes I understand that I am a clean eater, I just want to make sure I am getting enough calories and macros, I have quite a muscle mass. I am a size 6 and 140lbs and only 5'4" not much body fat.

Then make your food journal public, because you've told us nothing about what you eat.
  • JennieAL
    Options
    LOL... are you asking about heavy lifting or are you talking food? Oh dear... I'm going back to mind my own business now. The forum is a f'ing time suck.
  • modernmom70
    Options

Then make your food journal public, because you've told us nothing about what you eat.

will do...you'll have to go back to the last few days as haven't had time too log yet today
  • lisao62
    lisao62 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    bump
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I'm NOT saying what you're doing isn't beneficial by any means, but I would say if you're getting that many reps it probably isn't heavy for you. Heavy is relative of course :) When I think of lifting heavy, I'm thinking a 3 or 5 rep max typically. When I first started, a heavy strict shoulder press was 40lbs or 45lbs, but now it would be 75lbs or 80lbs. A heavy back squat used to be 90lbs for me, but now it's 155lbs or so.

So it's tough to say what constitutes heavy for someone else, because it's different for everyone. But think more about approaching (and increasing of course) your maxes :) There are many different programs and schools of thought, and I don't think there is a magic number. I'm pretty sure another number I often hear floating around is 8 reps. But typically I'd say it would be in the single digits.

That said, during my actual workout - the metcon part - (following the strength training) I tend to lift around 50%-60% of my max doing multiple reps, and throwing in other things like box jumps, push ups or burpees or sprints. In other words, if I put deadlifts into a work out, I'll usually have it around 105-115lbs, but during the strength training part I might find a heavy 5 (175lbs) or a one rep max (190lbs). I'll I've certainly found benefit from this as well. I think I've seen good results from spending time doing both! Best of luck!

Edit: I am 5' 5" and 145lbs-ish and size 4 for reference
  • Justforthebacon
    Justforthebacon Posts: 61 Member
    Options

I am the same height and weight as you. I am sure I have more body fat though. For a comparison, I lift 3 times a week. I squat 155lbs, dead lift 165lbs & bench 80 lbs (all 5-6 reps). If you want to lift heavy reduce the reps and add more weight. It will take time just go slow and continue to add weight.
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Lift heavier weights and aim for 8-10 reps at the max. If you can keep going after 10 the weight is not heavy enough. :smile: Good luck.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Generally if you reach 10 reps you aren't lifting heavy enough. Often on my third set I may only reach 5.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I'd personally say that 6-8 reps is all you want to consider it heavy, strength-oriented lifting.

and honestly, you don't need to do all that different stuff. I mean, if you like it, go for it, but I'd do more compound lifts and less isolation.