women trying to lean out with strength...how much cardio?

Options

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    People gain weight due to an abundance of food, not the lack of cardio.

That sums it up. You don't need cardio to lean out.
  • AntWrig
    Options
    Have you tried to P90X? There is a lean program to follow for women who don't want to become manly like... Just a thought

LOL... manly? I can't wait to post the manly pics of my body after six months of Starting Strength.

I was looking for a way to express OVER MUSCULAR... for lack of a better expression.. I used the term manly... Sorry. We all know some people over do it... Its still better than being too fat!!! lol... I support anyone who is happy with themselves and would love to see your success pictures.
    Regardless, no female on this site will ever look "over muscular" as you put it. You don't produce enough of the hormone (testosterone). So, please stop with the fear mongering.
  • brookelittle
    Options
    Have you tried to P90X? There is a lean program to follow for women who don't want to become manly like... Just a thought

LOL... manly? I can't wait to post the manly pics of my body after six months of Starting Strength.

I was looking for a way to express OVER MUSCULAR... for lack of a better expression.. I used the term manly... Sorry. We all know some people over do it... Its still better than being too fat!!! lol... I support anyone who is happy with themselves and would love to see your success pictures.
    Regardless, no female on this site will ever look "over muscular" as you put it. You don't produce enough of the hormone (testosterone). So, please stop with the fear mongering.
    Seriously.. thats not what I meant so please stop reading more into it. I didn't mean to bash anyone and you don't know what EVERYONE'S hormone levels are? What if they have cushings disease then their corticosteroids could be through the roof. I think I know a little about hormone values working in the medical field of nursing! IJS... Cushing's disease causes an enourmous trunk in severe cases and it is all due to extremely elevated steroid levels and STEROIDS would make you MUSCULAR!! Also they are a hormone just like testosteron. Estrogin and testosterone are not the only hormones that affect muscle mass or lack of. Please don't give "false hope" to someone that if they OVER TRAIN that they want look like Arnold Swartzanegger or however you spell it. Some people do not want that and some do... Let them be the judge of what they like. Don't judge someone because of their personal preference. I apologized for my careless wording and don't think that you should jump down my throat or accuse me of fear mongering. I applaud EVERYONE who is doing ANYTHING>> STRENGTH TRAINING OR HIIT OR JUST WALKING 10 MINUTES PER DAY!!! GOOD JOB...
  • nursegnet
    nursegnet Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Great posts!
  • AntWrig
    Options

Seriously.. thats not what I meant so please stop reading more into it. I didn't mean to bash anyone and you don't know what EVERYONE'S hormone levels are? What if they have cushings disease then their corticosteroids could be through the roof. I think I know a little about hormone values working in the medical field of nursing! IJS... Cushing's disease causes an enourmous trunk in severe cases and it is all due to extremely elevated steroid levels and STEROIDS would make you MUSCULAR!! Also they are a hormone just like testosteron. Estrogin and testosterone are not the only hormones that affect muscle mass or lack of. Please don't give "false hope" to someone that if they OVER TRAIN that they want look like Arnold Swartzanegger or however you spell it. Some people do not want that and some do... Let them be the judge of what they like. Don't judge someone because of their personal preference. I apologized for my careless wording and don't think that you should jump down my throat or accuse me of fear mongering. I applaud EVERYONE who is doing ANYTHING>> STRENGTH TRAINING OR HIIT OR JUST WALKING 10 MINUTES PER DAY!!! GOOD JOB...
    If any female was taking steroids, they would be far too advanced for "myfitnesspal". Regrading hormones you're correct. However, I believe it's less than 10% of the female population, that produce enough test. Regardless that is very,very,very,very low.

I never said anything about anyone over training and looking a man.
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    LADIES WHO ARE TALKING ABOUT LIFTING:

DO YOU LIFTS WEIGHTS AT HOME OR IN A GYM
    DO YOU HAVE A TRAINER OR MAKEUP YOUR OWN ROUTINE

JUST CURIOUS.:bigsmile: ..I NEED TO ADD STRENGTH TRAINING TO MY ROUTINE
    I CANNOT LIFT HEAVY WEIGHTS ... I HAVE NO UPPER BODY STRENGTH:cry:
  • CookieCrumble
    CookieCrumble Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    How much cardio do you do if you are lifting, particularly heavy, to lean out? Which is more important...more strength or more cardio?

I do light cardio (HR no higher than 130 the whole time) for no longer than 20-30 minutes. I usually strength train for over 60 minutes 3x per week.

I lift heavy (90-100% max) every time I lift with low reps. I'm working on setting up a scheduled program.

Lifting light doesn't do you any good unless you are working on your form. Don't be afraid to go heavy. As long as you have good form, you will be just fine. A good guide is that if after 8 lifts, you cannot do another, that's a good heavy weight for you for that exercise.
  • CookieCrumble
    CookieCrumble Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    How much cardio do you do if you are lifting, particularly heavy, to lean out? Which is more important...more strength or more cardio?

I do light cardio (HR no higher than 130 the whole time) for no longer than 20-30 minutes. I usually strength train for over 60 minutes 3x per week.

I lift heavy (90-100% max) every time I lift with low reps. I'm working on setting up a scheduled program.

Lifting light doesn't do you any good unless you are working on your form. Don't be afraid to go heavy. As long as you have good form, you will be just fine. A good guide is that if after 8 lifts, you cannot do another, that's a good heavy weight for you for that exercise.

This is really interesting for me. I started doing weights, under supervision, yesterday. My trainer has drawn up a programme for me that is 30 repetitions, no rest, on varying machnes using weights starting at between 15-25kg. I thought I could lift heavier but whilst I could for 10 say, I can't for 30. Some of the weights (higher) were perfectly doable at 30reps. I think my legs are much stronger than my arms and it's easier to pull weights towards you than push them away. I imagine my weights will be increased as I get used to them; I asked the trainer to push me hard.

I then did 5,000 metres rowing and 45 minutes swimming breaststroke without stopping. I think that helped with muscle ache as i'm only a little 'worked' and not bedridden today.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    LADIES WHO ARE TALKING ABOUT LIFTING:

DO YOU LIFTS WEIGHTS AT HOME OR IN A GYM
    DO YOU HAVE A TRAINER OR MAKEUP YOUR OWN ROUTINE

JUST CURIOUS.:bigsmile: ..I NEED TO ADD STRENGTH TRAINING TO MY ROUTINE
    I CANNOT LIFT HEAVY WEIGHTS ... I HAVE NO UPPER BODY STRENGTH:cry:

At home. No trainer. I do however follow a program: Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength. I'm doing the novice program, atm.

You CAN lift heavy... "heavy" is what is heavy for you, in particular. And I bet you do have upper body strength, it's just undeveloped. I said the same thing and I just lifted 140 lbs tonight. I weight 128... do the math. LOL.
  • mxcatala
    mxcatala Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kathyhaf1
    Options
    Thanks for all the great input. I have been wondering the same things. I have been at a stand still after losing 13 lbs. I love cardio (treadmill, running outside or elliptical) but am going to add strength training to my week.

Maybe cardio 2x week and strength 3x?

I still have about 20 lbs to lose.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    s

Conditioning/cardio isn't a waste of time, and I really doubt it's the type of exercise which caused you to not be able to lose weight. Strength training helps build/retain muscle mass. More muscle mass = lower percentage of your weight is body fat. The thing about circuit training and low-weight/high-rep lifting is it isn't doing anything to make you stronger.

All of us that like heavy lifting go ape**** for Starting Strength and Stronglifts (and New Rules of Lifting For Women, but I don't really know what that program is all about). None of these programs are magic. The reason they work (at least in terms of SS and SL) is that you're doing multi-joint, multi-muscle group compound lifts with heavy (heavy being relative to your strength level) weights which stresses your body as a whole and promote the best overall adaptation. You can do this with barbells, dumbbells, or even bodyweight exercises.

i lost almost sixty lbs doing mostly RUNNING....ie CARDIO....I pottered around in the gym for months and months, and did not lose any weight, even while on WW - or lost very little....
    stayed on WW and started running...and the weight dropped off!! So the argument that cardio does not burn calories is pure nonsense....
    I am doing both now, and I love the idea that according to my HRM, running allows me to eat a lot more and still lose weight....
  • astrampe
    Options
    Both equally!
    Need cardio to burn fat. Need strength to build muscle :)

Cardio is for conditioning. Cardio is NOT needed to burn fat. A calorie deficit alone is what burns fat. Cardio can aid in burning fat but it's not an efficient or smart way to do so.

WHY would it not be smart?? If you combine it with strength it is a great way to burn calories, not te mention all the other health benefits.....Worked for me.....
  • JennieAL
    Options
    Both equally!
    Need cardio to burn fat. Need strength to build muscle :)

Cardio is for conditioning. Cardio is NOT needed to burn fat. A calorie deficit alone is what burns fat. Cardio can aid in burning fat but it's not an efficient or smart way to do so.

WHY would it not be smart?? If you combine it with strength it is a great way to burn calories, not te mention all the other health benefits.....Worked for me.....

It's much easier not to eat X amount of calories and requires much less thought/time than walking or running for an hour a day.
  • astrampe
    Options

It's much easier not to eat X amount of calories and requires much less thought/time than walking or running for an hour a day.

I love my hour or so of running a day - it requires no thought, no people, nothing but peace and my music and the road....
    And eating well is never difficult, a chore or something that should be avoided at all cost...
  • JennieAL
    Options

I love my hour or so of running a day

Then that's the best reason for you to run. Not because it burns X amount of calories.
  • ednabnana
    ednabnana Posts: 304
    Options
    Good post!
    Very informative. Thank you.
  • JennieAL
    Options
    So the argument that cardio does not burn calories is pure nonsense....

You've simply misunderstood. To my knowledge, no one here says cardio doesn't burn calories.
  • astrampe
    Options

I love my hour or so of running a day

Then that's the best reason for you to run. Not because it burns X amount of calories.
    Thank you for your input - but I think I am quite capable to decide for myself what my best reason for running is....:huh: I love running, NOW - did not when I started doing it...So I did it in order to burn calories, for which it worked brilliantly.... I still like the idea that it burns a lot of calories, even if it does not agree with your ideas:noway: :laugh: ....
  • HoLLyZ82
    HoLLyZ82 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I lift 4x week, alternating legs/biceps/shoulders and chest/tri/abs. After lifting I run or do intervals for anywhere for
    10-30 minutes. Wednesdays are either rest days or endurance cardio.

I stopped cardio the past month and have definitely noticed a difference in my body (not what I want). So, apparently that schedule works for me... Starting back up next week with running.

same here. i stopped cardio for awhile and didnt like what was happening. unfortunately i had to re-incorporate it back into my routine although my main focus is still lifting heavy. I use to do cardio for a hour or more but now like the above poster said, i do about 30 minutes after my weight lifting maybe 3 days a week.