Bump
  • Spamee
    Spamee Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I want to thank you for this post. Yes it is a generous offer to answer peoples question but it was really a question and your answer that I am grateful for. You were asked whether you would recommend one eating below their BMR in order to lose. You said generally no and then said something about maybe a little under certain situations. It made me start looking into whether I was eating below my BMR and if so how much etc. etc. I have had many stalls since I started on here although I have lost 30-33 pounds but recently I have upped my calories. I usually get a good amount of exercise and did before I came here (MFP). I am starting to see my weight budge. It is too soon to telll. But if I am not going to lose I might as well do it healthily rather than eating at so far under BMR for so long. I never set my goal at 2 pounds lost on here but still my deficit I believe now was too low. Everytime I upped my exercise I would stall out. I finally think I know why.
  • kazzamcamille
    kazzamcamille Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!! Just making sure I'm in the right calorie zone:)
  • ysamatar
    ysamatar Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the previous advice to work on losing body fat over building muscle. I'd really like to make sure I'm not losing muscle in the process. How much weight training is enough to maintain while also doing cardio 5x per week? What is the recommended calorie deficit to keep within that window of losing fat instead of mucle? I've dropped my calories from 2000 to 1800 and I currently do weights 3x per week along with short but intense cardio. I'm trying to add more cardio on my rest days, but I'm wondering if cardio should be the bigger focus.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    3 days of strength training, so monday wednesday and friday or a schedule similiar to that would be optimal for most people. If you lift in a split training form then you may have a schedule like upper body monday and thursday, lower body tuesday friday. Its up to you but the minimum would be 3 days a week.A Small cal deficit and slow weightloss are the key to preserve muscle mass. Your body burns carbs,fat, and protein in that order in a ratio. So if you have to much of a cal deficit you start to tap into your last reserve.... protein. So if you burn 2500 cals a day with exercise included in that total ,eat at least 2000 cals. You want no more than a 500 cal deficit, preferably smaller but you need to lose some bodyfat so aim for a 400-500 cal deficit.

Thanks again - I'm glad to hear I can keep up the weight training and 3x per week. I'm already seeing some improvement simply from dropping my calories slightly.
  • taylorblues
    taylorblues Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Bump! interesting - want to read later
  • sportyskylar
    Options
    bump
  • IslandDer
    IslandDer Posts: 27
    Options
    Bump :-)
  • allnewskinnyme
    allnewskinnyme Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • adjoa84
    adjoa84 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    This is so kind of you. BUMP
  • adjoa84
    adjoa84 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Hiya, wanting to work up to full pull ups :-) are there any strength exercises i can do using my own body weight or hand weights to help? I'm not a member of a gym but i do a mixture of circuit training, kettlebell and running. I've also started doing full push ups so im hoping this will help with my new goal? Thanks a mil