Definition of "buff" via a woman + attractiveness

Options
I had a discussion (some may say disagreement lol) with my boyfriend today because I told him that I wanted to get "buff". I think he interpreted my version of "buff" as his version of "ripped" "jacked" or "juice head". I am only 22 and I want to see what I can push my body to do. I've never been muscular but I want to be seriously toned. I don't want to live in the gym but I want to eat clean and kick my *kitten* when I do hit the gym. He says that "buff" is not something that girls "do", I told him he was full of sh*! and that I do a lot of things girls don't "do" (ie: COD, GOW, working on cars, etc...).

I think that "buff" is a very subjective word but is wanting to be seriously fit and healthy wrong?
I look at some women that have amazing arms and think "man her body is amazing" then I go to the gym, I want people to be motivated by me, is that a crime?
I know some guys are going to say that ripped women are hot, I dont want to look like a body builder, but I wouldn't mind toting around a couple of guns if you know what I mean lol.

My definition of "buff":
http://pinterest.com/pin/122019471123878890/
http://pinterest.com/pin/122019471123989519/

This is not what I'm shooting for...
http://pinterest.com/pin/122019471123973245/

Replies

• Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I thnk I was able to pick the images out of that lot for you! :) Fingers crossed.
    I had a discussion (some may say disagreement lol) with my boyfriend today because I told him that I wanted to get "buff". I think he interpreted my version of "buff" as his version of "ripped" "jacked" or "juice head". I am only 22 and I want to see what I can push my body to do. I've never been muscular but I want to be seriously toned. I don't want to live in the gym but I want to eat clean and kick my *kitten* when I do hit the gym. He says that "buff" is not something that girls "do", I told him he was full of sh*! and that I do a lot of things girls don't "do" (ie: COD, GOW, working on cars, etc...).

I think that "buff" is a very subjective word but is wanting to be seriously fit and healthy wrong?
    I look at some women that have amazing arms and think "man her body is amazing" then I go to the gym, I want people to be motivated by me, is that a crime?
    I know some guys are going to say that ripped women are hot, I dont want to look like a body builder, but I wouldn't mind toting around a couple of guns if you know what I mean lol.

122019471123989519_3eSTkMjC_c.jpg

This is not what I'm shooting for...
    122019471123973245_emcif1Ba_c.jpg
  • Chloe_Chaos_
    Chloe_Chaos_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Ahaha! Thank you!
    I'm unsure of what the code for embedding on here is!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Exactly! When most people think buff women, that is what they thing of though. I think "lean and strong" is what I usually say when I am not on here.

Btw thx for the links. Now I can pin them too! :D
  • Rayman79
    Options
    In truth though, I don't think there is a huge amount of difference in amount of muscle mass between these two women. If the model in the top pic did an agressive cut, and dehydrated (as the bottom model likely did for the photo shoot), they wouldn't look too different - other than the quad size maybe.

It just goes to show what a difference having that extra few %bf does for overall appearance and the buff vs ripped look.
  • Chloe_Chaos_
    Options
    In truth though, I don't think there is a huge amount of difference in amount of muscle mass between these two women. If the model in the top pic did an agressive cut, and dehydrated (as the bottom model likely did for the photo shoot), they wouldn't look too different - other than the quad size maybe.

I guess I just mean that I'm not trying to eat hundreds of grams of protein and train for hours and hours. I do not wish to do laundry on my abs. I just want to be lean with a killer back and arms. I've been working on my pull-ups :happy:
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Agree with Rayman... not too much of a difference. I like them all.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I would be scared to look at myself if I looked like the girl in the second picture... I think being fit is attractive so that's what I'm aiming for.. But I don't think muscles as the size of golf balls popping out of my next and thighs would attract the guys :/
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options

It just goes to show what a difference having that extra few %bf does for overall appearance and the buff vs ripped look.
    Probably not in the quad size even. Look at the stance, the top girl has her feet turned in and the girl on the bottom has her feet turned out, ehancing the appearance of her quads.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I don't think women usually refer to themselves as buff so that is why I think there was confusion. I would say "toned."
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I personally think the first 2 images you've posted aren't very attractive for females either.
  • JennieAL
    Options
    Clothed, the second girl probably isn't going to look too much out of the ordinary, maybe just in her thighs. But only the guy (or guys) who sees her in a swimsuit or naked in bed are gonna see the definition...

Do guys honestly find this is too much definition on a woman? Curious.
  • Chloe_Chaos_
    Options
    I don't think women usually refer to themselves as buff so that is why I think there was confusion. I would say "toned."

but I supposed that's where I think it's unfair because my definition of "toned" is less than "buff" lol

I know it's entirely subjective to what each individual decides of which meaning.

I just think, is it wrong for me to want to push my body to see how far I can go with the amount of effort I'm willing to put in?
  • Chloe_Chaos_
    Options
    Clothed, the second girl probably isn't going to look too much out of the ordinary, maybe just in her thighs. But only the guy (or guys) who sees her in a swimsuit or naked in bed are gonna see the definition...

Do guys honestly find this is too much definition on a woman? Curious.

I think it totally depends on the guy.
    Just like some girls wouldn't want to look like any of the pictures I posted.
  • JennieAL
    Options

I just think, is it wrong for me to want to push my body to see how far I can go with the amount of effort I'm willing to put in?

Hell no. Go for it!
  • Chloe_Chaos_
    Options
    Mostly I just want to know (regardless of what your preference of body image is), is it wrong for me to want people to see my physique and be motivated by me? Is it wrong for me to want to be a normal girl but "buff" "toned" or whatever your definition might be?
  • Rayman79
    Options

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is what we should strive for. Be it physically, intellectually, spiritually, or with any aspect of our life, I believe we should always be pushing ourselves to achieve what we may at first deem impossible.

Good on you for wanting to strive to see what you can achieve. Your husband will (or at least should) always love you for who you are, and being happier in yourself is an incredibly attractive quality!
  • Chloe_Chaos_
    Options

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is what we should strive for. Be it physically, intellectually, spiritually, or with any aspect of our life, I believe we should always be pushing ourselves to achieve what we may at first deem impossible.

Good on you for wanting to strive to see what you can achieve. Your husband will (or at least should) always love you for who you are, and being happier in yourself is an incredibly attractive quality!

Thank you! That's what I think!
  • Chloe_Chaos_
    Options
    I recently caved and took "before" pictures (cringe) so that I HAVE to take "after" pictures. And trust me when I say that I want the "after" to be something that I am PROUD to show everyone everywhere! lol
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    All three pics are a little bit more "buff" than what I am aiming for. Nevertheless, it should not matter what I (or anyone else thinks is attractive). It is YOUR body and you shouldn't let anyone else put limits on your goals and dreams.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    of course it's not wrong. i have a feeling you know that. check out a superhero, admired by many of us here. she's motivating and buff (yes, buff):

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/