Discovered Greek Yogurt

Options
I'll be honest. I hated yogurt before. I tried to eat it because it was "good for me" but I just couldn't get it down. Even the yoplait ones and I tried mixing yogurt with granola and it just didn't appeal to me.

For the past month I've been adding greek yogurt to my smoothies. I'd been using oikos and chobani. I'd just buy different ones at random. Then today while I was buying some I decided I'd try and eat one by itself. I got the keylime oikos for that.

I have to say it totally changed how I felt about yogurt. It actually tasted like keylime pie filling. I had tried the yoplait one and that did not at all. I also liked the texture more than regular yogurt. I also like that it's more protein. Some people whine about the sugar but frankly it's either I eat this or I eat something much worse for me. So imo it's not a bad swap and I usually have issues meeting my daily protein requirement anyway.

I looove sour creme but I know it's bad, so I think I'm going to get a plain one to try and use it in place of sour creme. I think it would actually work. I'm more partial to sour things so maybe that's why i like it so much.

Not sure if I'll like the chobani as much but I'll try it next time before I put it in the smoothie. I got some of the new flavors they came out with "blood orange" and cinnimon apple

Replies

• wyclefan
    Options
    Plain Greek yogurt is a great replacement for mayo in tuna salad, chicken salad, etc.
  • gollyitsmolly
    Options
    best ingredient ever! I eat it all the time and love it in chicken salad (add curry powder mmm), in breakfast burritos like sour cream, shakes, oatmeal, mixed with PB and cinnamon to dips apples in.. I prefer Fage personally.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I think I eat around 8-10 lbs per week haha
  • kiwi1003
    kiwi1003 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Fage is definitely my fave! Today I puréed frozen cherries and Fage 0% plain in my food processor, added a tsp. of sugar, split into 2 little cups, and just let it freeze for about 20 minutes while I hopped in the shower. Great sweet afternoon snack after a workout, about 100 cals.! So good!
  • kiwi1003
    Options
    best ingredient ever! I eat it all the time and love it in chicken salad (add curry powder mmm), in breakfast burritos like sour cream, shakes, oatmeal, mixed with PB and cinnamon to dips apples in.. I prefer Fage personally.

Love the PB/apple idea too! What are the proportions?
  • MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I tried greek yogurt because I hear people here rave about it. I gotta tell you, its one of the nastiest things I have ever tasted. I thought maybe I could just choke some down but I couldnt. It was terrible.
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    chobani cinnamon apple, and thier pineapple one are my FAVORITES! Fage seems to have the best protein and lowest carbs if i recall... another way to get a fruity TASTE without the added sugars is the plain...and add a few almonds and a lil' bit of a packet of sugar free apple cider. SO good. You could also use the plain and part of a sugar free packet of berry drink mix etc. For some reason I seem to adore Fiber one 's bran cereal... GREAT on the fiber and low on cals... I add a little of that for some crunch!!! :)
  • Lisa2374
    Lisa2374 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    What is FAGE? I'm from Ireland, so not sure if it's something that we don't have or an abbreviation for something else? Thanks
  • kiwi1003
    Options
    What is FAGE? I'm from Ireland, so not sure if it's something that we don't have or an abbreviation for something else? Thanks

It's just a brand of Greek yogurt. I live in the Southeast US, hope you can find it there!
  • cneajna
    Options
    Fage is a brand of greek yogurt. It is possible that you do not have that over there. I also just started eating greek yogurt the past week. I got Brown Cow brand because it came in the smallest package. They were also only 100 calories a cup which seemed to be the lowest when I was looking at all the other brands.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest. I hated yogurt before. I tried to eat it because it was "good for me" but I just couldn't get it down. Even the yoplait ones and I tried mixing yogurt with granola and it just didn't appeal to me.

For the past month I've been adding greek yogurt to my smoothies. I'd been using oikos and chobani. I'd just buy different ones at random. Then today while I was buying some I decided I'd try and eat one by itself. I got the keylime oikos for that.

I have to say it totally changed how I felt about yogurt. It actually tasted like keylime pie filling. I had tried the yoplait one and that did not at all. I also liked the texture more than regular yogurt. I also like that it's more protein. Some people whine about the sugar but frankly it's either I eat this or I eat something much worse for me. So imo it's not a bad swap and I usually have issues meeting my daily protein requirement anyway.

I looove sour creme but I know it's bad, so I think I'm going to get a plain one to try and use it in place of sour creme. I think it would actually work. I'm more partial to sour things so maybe that's why i like it so much.

Not sure if I'll like the chobani as much but I'll try it next time before I put it in the smoothie. I got some of the new flavors they came out with "blood orange" and cinnimon apple

Ditto!! Was a major epiphany for me as well. I never liked regular yogurt's consistency... it even activated my gag reflex. So, I gave up on it years ago. But I tried Cabot's Greek 10% and it is heavenly.

And OMG... you mentioned Chobani's apple cinnamon... that **** is so good! I love it. It's by far my favorite flavor and I've tried several. I throw about 10 almonds in one of those and add extra cinnamon. Wonderful :)
  • PeggysDad
    Options
    We have Fage in the UK, it's just called Total, comes in 0% or 2% fat, obviously 0% is the preferred choice.
  • taliesyn_
    taliesyn_ Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    We have Fage in the UK, it's just called Total, comes in 0% or 2% fat, obviously 0% is the preferred choice.
    The "real" Total Greek Yogurt is 10% - but is also Heaven on a spoon!
  • hollythehutt
    Options
    I love Greek yoghurt. I eat it almost every day. Below 5% fat can be hard to find in my area, though. Does anyone else sometimes put berries and oats in theirs?
  • TexNut
    TexNut Posts: 53
    Options
    I love Greek yogurt! It does make a nice sour cream substitiute (which I use for some TexMex dishes), doesn't it? I also make a veggie dip with it (add your choice of seasonings/spices and a little lemon juice) and use it in the feaux-alfredo sauce I make (with coconut milk, sea salt, black pepper). YUM! :)
  • Katgan
    Katgan Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I started eating Greek yogurt about 6 months ago and love it. I didn't realize there were different levels of fat. I just checked mine and it 0%. I'll look for some 10% today.
  • RiverTom
    RiverTom Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I love Greek yoghurt. I eat it almost every day. Below 5% fat can be hard to find in my area, though. Does anyone else sometimes put berries and oats in theirs?

Most UK Supermarkets sell the Fage Total 0% - Fat Free Greek Strained Yoghurt in 170g pots or 500g pots. It is a great source of Protein. 0 % fat and not high in natural milk sugar either.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I hate normal yogurt too. I'm one of those weird people who likes non-sweet tasting stuff.

I get Chobani or Fage plain nonfat yogurts and mix in my chocolate protein powder and a packet of sugar for breakfast. It's about 43g protein and tastes like chocolate pudding (1 cup yogurt + 1 scoop Bodybuilding 100% whey chocolate flavoring). LOVE IT.

I usually combine it with some hard boiled eggs for more protein.
  • ATK57
    ATK57 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I eat it! I do add a teaspoon of honey to it though...
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Someone suggested this to me the other day. Definitely gonna see if I can locate it here in Jamaica.