The real key to losing weight is Metabolism!!

Options

Replies

• DyannAlvarez
    DyannAlvarez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Till later!
  • Marty_D
    Marty_D Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Interesting, MFP says 8 cups of water is what I should take in. Seems reasonable. Also read on here, something written by someone "in the know", suggesting 4 litres a day!! Now that sounds like overkill on the water! What is one to do? It seems that for every expert that says one thing, you can find an expert that will say differently.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options
    It's not broscience, it's Biology 101. Food equals fuel, and as long as you have food in your system being digested, you are not burning fat. Period. Eating constant small meals, and keeping your body in a fed state all day every day can create havoc on a hormonal level, as insulin stays high all the time (yes, eating constantly keeps insulin from spiking and crashing, as it stays continuously spiked

How do you explain my 63lbs lost then? I eat every couple of hours and have lost very consistently since I started this. I'm not diabetic, I don't even have IR anymore (confirmed by blood tests in Nov) I'm lifting weights and am a somewhat decent number for a beginner. Surely I have lost some fat in there?

I did a program a couple of years ago called SureSlim. They are advocates of three meals a day. I was to not eat for five hours at a time. I couldn't keep that up and fell off the wagon and gained.

There's no science to prove that constant eating works. There's none to prove it doesn't either. Like the endless debate over exercising in the morning or evening, it's whatever works best for the person doing it.

The issue here is not that eating 5 meal or even more will not help you personally. The point is the 5 meals in and of themselves have no effect on fat loss or metabolism. The way they help you as an individual is not in those areas, and your response shows that. The problem with the other diet in your own words was, "I couldn't keep that up and fell off the wagon and gained." Do you see what you said, the issue was falling off the wagon. What the 3 meals a day did was make that more likely for you. For me it is eating 5-6 meals a day that does the same thing. Every time I have fell off the wagon was when I ate more that 3 meals a day within my calories. I could not maintain that, so saying, incorrectly, that it increases metabolism if accepted by people like me would make them fall off the wagon.

Thankfully, the actual clinical research shows that you can eat one meal a day or nine. Neither one is preferable in itself. That is, if a person maintains the same deficit with 1 meal or 9 in a day they will lose the same amount of weight.

The take away from that is eat what will help you stick with the diet. Pure and simple. Don't start thinking we are saying you must eat 3 meals a day or 5 or 1 or any other number. Meal frequency has no effect.
  • bigredisback
    bigredisback Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The differences these things make are very small the keys are simiple.

- Diet, get you daily carbs below 100g (which is easy and still allows you to eat bread etc)
    - Aim for net calories of 1,500 which with exercise is easy to do, especially if can burn 600 each workout as means you can have 1900 a day of food

The weight will then just fly off, and in the end you will be happy as larry, as your diet will be better you will feel healthier and the exercise will give you the metabolism boost anyway.
  • rdunlap81
    rdunlap81 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information. I do agree that you need to eat 6 small meals a day. I had gestational diabetes and my father has type 2. I was told that if I don't eat healthy and move more to lose weight then I have a 60% chance of getting type 2 diabetes. This was information given to me by the endocrinologist. They also told me they same information that you are sharing and even if the others don't agree with you I do because a doctor said the same. Good luck on your goals.
  • randylevy
    randylevy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I found this very informative. Thank you.
  • zweven
    zweven Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for taking your time to post this very detailed point of view about weight loss. I've been distracted and have not been logging for many weeks, and weighed in 4 pounds up today. So this was a very good first post to see upon my return. While I was making progress before and doing well, it's great to see your lists and food ideas most of all (so I can "get back to it"). Thanks again.
  • bstoetzer
    Options
    bump
  • AmyWalsh711
    AmyWalsh711 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH for all this info in plain english!!!
  • misseypamps
    misseypamps Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree,drinking water is good for you and I personally also choose to drink water.I have 1 cup of coffee a day then it is water or herbal or green tea plain. I am trying to stay away from splenda which is what I use when I need to. I don't drink diet drinks or anything like that and I feel better. My skin is dry by nature because I am in my mid 60's, but not like it could be I am sure. I tend to agree with the article because it goes along with all I have learned in my weight loss battle.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

- Diet, get you daily carbs below 100g (which is easy and still allows you to eat bread etc)
    - Aim for net calories of 1,500 which with exercise is easy to do, especially if can burn 600 each workout as means you can have 1900 a day of food

The weight will then just fly off, and in the end you will be happy as larry, as your diet will be better you will feel healthier and the exercise will give you the metabolism boost anyway.

lol_que.jpg

Rationale for recommending everyone eat below 100g of cho and 1500 net cals?
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    HOW DARE YOU EVEN QUESTION SENOR PEAR?!?!?!
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Staying hydrated is a good thing; helps flush out your toxins and helps clear skin. As with anything, some things work for some people and not for others. The "studies" that people keep referring to mention this point ^^. Just because those twins didn't experience different health benefits doesn't mean that no one else will. Also, there can be a ton of different factors that affected the results that were produced.

I think the tips were great, some work for me, some don't. Overall great advice.

I also agree that some people are not the "Norm", but I think this was solid advice... Thank you for posting.
  • ltowns11
    ltowns11 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    How do you explain my 63lbs lost then? I eat every couple of hours and have lost very consistently since I started this. I'm not diabetic, I don't even have IR anymore (confirmed by blood tests in Nov) I'm lifting weights and am a somewhat decent number for a beginner. Surely I have lost some fat in there?
    You lost weight based on calorie deficit. Personally for you eating numerous meals makes is easier for you, but on a physiological standpoint total calories at the end of the day is what counts whether you do it in several meals or a couple of meals.
    There's no science to prove that constant eating works. There's none to prove it doesn't either. Like the endless debate over exercising in the morning or evening, it's whatever works best for the person doing it.
    There's lots of science to prove that multiple meals DON'T raise metabolism. Journals that include NEW ENGLAND JOURNAL OF MEDICINE, JOURNAL OF CLINICAL ENDOCRINOLOGY and METABOLISM, AMERICAN JOURNAL FOR CLINICAL NUTRITION to name a few.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    You lost weight based on calorie deficit. Personally for you eating numerous meals makes is easier for you, but on a physiological standpoint total calories at the end of the day is what counts whether you do it in several meals or a couple of meals.
    There's lots of science to prove that multiple meals DON'T raise metabolism. Journals that include NEW ENGLAND JOURNAL OF MEDICINE, JOURNAL OF CLINICAL ENDOCRINOLOGY and METABOLISM, AMERICAN JOURNAL FOR CLINICAL NUTRITION to name a few.

^ here is a nice meta analysis

Bellisle F et. al. Meal frequency and energy balance. Br J Nutr. (1997) 77 (Suppl 1):S57-70

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494
    Abstract
    Several epidemiological studies have observed an inverse relationship between people's habitual frequency of eating and body weight, leading to the suggestion that a 'nibbling' meal pattern may help in the avoidance of obesity. A review of all pertinent studies shows that, although many fail to find any significant relationship, the relationship is consistently inverse in those that do observe a relationship. However, this finding is highly vulnerable to the probable confounding effects of post hoc changes in dietary patterns as a consequence of weight gain and to dietary under-reporting which undoubtedly invalidates some of the studies. We conclude that the epidemiological evidence is at best very weak, and almost certainly represents an artefact. A detailed review of the possible mechanistic explanations for a metabolic advantage of nibbling meal patterns failed to reveal significant benefits in respect of energy expenditure. Although some short-term studies suggest that the thermic effect of feeding is higher when an isoenergetic test load is divided into multiple small meals, other studies refute this, and most are neutral. More importantly, studies using whole-body calorimetry and doubly-labelled water to assess total 24 h energy expenditure find no difference between nibbling and gorging. Finally, with the exception of a single study, there is no evidence that weight loss on hypoenergetic regimens is altered by meal frequency. We conclude that any effects of meal pattern on the regulation of body weight are likely to be mediated through effects on the food intake side of the energy balance equation.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Not always good for people who are obese/very overweight. That could put them in serious calorie deficit.

IDEA Fitness member
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I read the article in Scientific american, here is my conclusion, drinking 8 glasses of water is not medically necessary, but having sufficient water will help promote digestion and the proper functioning of the body. Another advantage is when you are hungry, you can drink water to help suppress your hunger and drinking water with your meal may help you to feel full faster.

One last note, if you drink to much water you can OD on it, right, overdose and you can die from drinking to much water. There is an article in scientific American about overdosing on water. http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=strange-but-true-drinking-too-much-water-can-kill

Stick with 8 glasses of water per day, but generally you should drink till your thirst is satisfied. Marathon runners need to be especially careful about how much water they consume.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I read the article in Scientific american, here is my conclusion, drinking 8 glasses of water is not medically necessary, but having sufficient water will help promote digestion and the proper functioning of the body. Another advantage is when you are hungry, you can drink water to help suppress your hunger and drinking water with your meal may help you to feel full faster.

One last note, if you drink to much water you can OD on it, right, overdose and you can die from drinking to much water. There is an article in scientific American about overdosing on water. http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=strange-but-true-drinking-too-much-water-can-kill

Stick with 8 glasses of water per day, but generally you should drink till your thirst is satisfied. Marathon runners need to be especially careful about how much water they consume.
    Right on! While personally I drink 84oz of water a day, I do it because of exercise and because it does help with filling me up more.
    But it's true that you don't NEED to drink 8 glasses of water per day.

IDEA Fitness member