The real key to losing weight is Metabolism!!

Options
1161718192022»

Replies

• jenready
    jenready Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Prediabetes does not always lead to diabetes, and not every diabetic had pre diabetes first, those are both myths. It's just like saying overweight people automatically become diabetic. It's just not true, it's alarmist propaganda.
    Q: If I have prediabetes, will I definitely develop type 2 diabetes?
    A: No. Research shows that you can lower your risk for type 2 diabetes by 58% by:

Losing 7% of your body weight (or 15 pounds if you weigh 200 pounds)
    Exercising moderately (such as brisk walking) 30 minutes a day, five days a week
    Don't worry if you can't get to your ideal body weight. Losing just 10 to 15 pounds can make a huge difference. For some people with prediabetes, early treatment can actually return blood glucose levels to the normal range.
    Q: How many people with prediabetes go on to develop type 2 diabetes?
    A: One major study, the Diabetes Prevention Program, showed about 11% of people with prediabetes developed type 2 diabetes each year during the average three years of follow-up. Other studies show that many people with prediabetes develop type 2 diabetes in 10 years.

From the American Diabetes Association. The same site you linked.

I never said that everyone with prediabetes will become diabetic. I simply said that prediabetes indicates that these people are already showing a metabolic issue that is effecting their insulin/blood sugar levels. Of course, putting into practice the steps needed to not become diabetic can eliminate getting diabetes in many, forestall it in others, simply keep it from escalating, or perhaps a few other scenarios I haven't thought of. There are no absolutes. It all depends on what steps people take, how consistently they implement those steps, their own body's particular responses to those steps, and their genetic predisposition.

It can be quite difficult to figure out what those proper steps are, however, with all the conflicting information out there. I listened to the wrong advice for way too long. Mea culpa. The standard diabetic informed doled out in the diabetic classes at my local hospital put me on the wrong track for years. Since then, I have learned to eat to my meter which has resulted in a far more successful approach and outcome. As I have said many times, what works for me may not work for the next person. But you seem more inclined to want to tell people what to do as an absolute vs. helping people find different ways to do things so they can experiment and find their own best path to wellness and fitness. I don't understand that kind of black and white thinking. To each their own.
    So pre-diabetes is really the beginning stages of diabetes in all cases.
    That's your quote that I was responding to.

I'm not telling anyone any absolutes at all. The OP is the one who stated absolutes. Diet is a personal preference. For weight loss, all you need is a caloric deficit. Everything else is personal preference based on your specific needs. That's all there is to it.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,234 Member
    Options
    Well, I've been saying from the beginning that meal frequency is an individual thing.

That is what we have all been saying. You can eat 5-6 meals a day if that works for you to maintain your diet. No one is denying that. What we have been saying again and again is people don't HAVE TO eat 5-6 meals a day. The 5-6 meals are not what makes the difference, the calorie deficit does.
    With my diabetes, small meals with less carb intake, along with regular intense exercise, controls my blood sugar levels quite well. My blood sugar levels are usually in the 110-130 range at 1 and 2 hours post-prandial readings. When I eat a larger meal, even if carbs are still limited, my blood sugar levels can easily go above 180. A larger meal with more carbs, can easily shoot me above 200.

That is precisely because you have diabetes (type 2 I assume) so your body has a very difficult time handling carbs since they are basically sugars. Since you are so insulin resistant, your body cannot bring that sugar load down since the insulin basically does not work. This works for you, I would never say stop it unless you were not controlling your sugar that way. The study I linked to does not directly address those with diabetes, but does raise questions. Nor does it address pre-diabetics. However, it is one of the best studies methodologically in this area so far. Hopefully others will take the methodology and do further study with people with metabolic issues such as pre-diabetics and diabetics.
    Does this mean it will work for everyone? Probably not. But this doesn't mean that it's not worth trying. Especially if they are doing everything right and not losing.

If someone is doing everything right and not losing, the first place to look is probably checking to see if they have a metabolic disorder such as thyroid problems, PCOS, diabetes, and the like. The problem is often I find people are not even getting the basics right.

Looking at your response I don't think were are all that far apart in our thinking, but maybe I am wrong.

All the best with your diabetes.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Bump to read later.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Prediabetes does not always lead to diabetes, and not every diabetic had pre diabetes first, those are both myths. It's just like saying overweight people automatically become diabetic. It's just not true, it's alarmist propaganda.
    Q: If I have prediabetes, will I definitely develop type 2 diabetes?
    A: No. Research shows that you can lower your risk for type 2 diabetes by 58% by:

Losing 7% of your body weight (or 15 pounds if you weigh 200 pounds)
    Exercising moderately (such as brisk walking) 30 minutes a day, five days a week
    Don't worry if you can't get to your ideal body weight. Losing just 10 to 15 pounds can make a huge difference. For some people with prediabetes, early treatment can actually return blood glucose levels to the normal range.
    Q: How many people with prediabetes go on to develop type 2 diabetes?
    A: One major study, the Diabetes Prevention Program, showed about 11% of people with prediabetes developed type 2 diabetes each year during the average three years of follow-up. Other studies show that many people with prediabetes develop type 2 diabetes in 10 years.

From the American Diabetes Association. The same site you linked.

I never said that everyone with prediabetes will become diabetic. I simply said that prediabetes indicates that these people are already showing a metabolic issue that is effecting their insulin/blood sugar levels. Of course, putting into practice the steps needed to not become diabetic can eliminate getting diabetes in many, forestall it in others, simply keep it from escalating, or perhaps a few other scenarios I haven't thought of. There are no absolutes. It all depends on what steps people take, how consistently they implement those steps, their own body's particular responses to those steps, and their genetic predisposition.

It can be quite difficult to figure out what those proper steps are, however, with all the conflicting information out there. I listened to the wrong advice for way too long. Mea culpa. The standard diabetic informed doled out in the diabetic classes at my local hospital put me on the wrong track for years. Since then, I have learned to eat to my meter which has resulted in a far more successful approach and outcome. As I have said many times, what works for me may not work for the next person. But you seem more inclined to want to tell people what to do as an absolute vs. helping people find different ways to do things so they can experiment and find their own best path to wellness and fitness. I don't understand that kind of black and white thinking. To each their own.
    So pre-diabetes is really the beginning stages of diabetes in all cases.
    That's your quote that I was responding to.

I'm not telling anyone any absolutes at all. The OP is the one who stated absolutes. Diet is a personal preference. For weight loss, all you need is a caloric deficit. Everything else is personal preference based on your specific needs. That's all there is to it.

Fair enough. I guess what I should have said was that all people who become diabetics go through some kind of prediabetes stage first, but not all who have prediabetes will become diabetic. That's really what I meant by that comment.

I totally agree that we all have personal preference and specific needs. I don't really think we're in that much of a disagreement then. Glad to get this cleared up. It was a good conversation.
  • Barracuda365
    Options
    bump for nightshift reading
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Well, I've been saying from the beginning that meal frequency is an individual thing.

That is what we have all been saying. You can eat 5-6 meals a day if that works for you to maintain your diet. No one is denying that. What we have been saying again and again is people don't HAVE TO eat 5-6 meals a day. The 5-6 meals are not what makes the difference, the calorie deficit does.
    With my diabetes, small meals with less carb intake, along with regular intense exercise, controls my blood sugar levels quite well. My blood sugar levels are usually in the 110-130 range at 1 and 2 hours post-prandial readings. When I eat a larger meal, even if carbs are still limited, my blood sugar levels can easily go above 180. A larger meal with more carbs, can easily shoot me above 200.

That is precisely because you have diabetes (type 2 I assume) so your body has a very difficult time handling carbs since they are basically sugars. Since you are so insulin resistant, your body cannot bring that sugar load down since the insulin basically does not work. This works for you, I would never say stop it unless you were not controlling your sugar that way. The study I linked to does not directly address those with diabetes, but does raise questions. Nor does it address pre-diabetics. However, it is one of the best studies methodologically in this area so far. Hopefully others will take the methodology and do further study with people with metabolic issues such as pre-diabetics and diabetics.
    Does this mean it will work for everyone? Probably not. But this doesn't mean that it's not worth trying. Especially if they are doing everything right and not losing.

If someone is doing everything right and not losing, the first place to look is probably checking to see if they have a metabolic disorder such as thyroid problems, PCOS, diabetes, and the like. The problem is often I find people are not even getting the basics right.

Looking at your response I don't think were are all that far apart in our thinking, but maybe I am wrong.

All the best with your diabetes.

Thanks. Actually I thought I had been very clear in all my posts that this is what works for me personally and that it may not work for someone else. If I wasn't clear on that, my apologies. And I totally agree with the rest of your comments. So, no, I don't think we're all that far apart in our thinking at all.

I guess the bottomline is that we have to look at the scientific evidence but also do some tweaking to find out how to apply those things in ways that work best for ourselves.
  • Crystllvlnd
    Crystllvlnd Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    bump
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful info here!