100 Colonoscopies

Options

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I'm too young to have one so far, but I wholeheartedly agree with your post. My dad was diagnosed with stage 3C colon cancer last summer. Preventable with both diet, and regular checkups, neither of which he did. :(
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Opinions please.....last month, while at my checkup, I asked my doctor if I should get a colonoscopy done. She replied that if I didn't have colon cancer in my family then I didn't need to get one done. My co-workers think that this is bad advice. I am not sure who to believe. After all....shouldn't my doctor know what is right for me?

If you didnt have one at age 50, then you are long overdue and should have one done.

If you have an HMO, you must get a referral from your PCP to a Gastroenterologist. If your PCP continues to give difficulty (again, if you havent had one yet), you can contact your insurance and let them know the PCP is noncompliant.

If you have a PPO - you do not need a referral. You will though, need to consider if your copay might have an increase penalty where you are self-referring yourself (Harvard Pilgrim is notorious for penalties on their PPO plans). Otherwise a PPO does not require your PCP to give you a referral to a GI.

If you would like, in a private message, I am willing to offer you some help in learning about what your benefits are with the insurance.... I will follow HIPAA guidlines if you choose to accept my help (in other words hold your privacy to the highest standard)
  • MelisandreRed
    MelisandreRed Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've had 2, does that count for you already? One was last August.
  • StrengthIDidntKnow
    StrengthIDidntKnow Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    You are 15! My dh lost a pound through the process.

I lost 2 when I had I think it was my 3rd one done in October.

I had my first done at 22 and 2 more since then.
  • 77Maria
    77Maria Posts: 90
    Options
    I am having one done in May. I have had 3 so far. Sadly my sister passed away 2 years ago. Yes Colon cancer. I know the heartbreak of this cancer and its preventable. Last year I had 2 polyps that were removed precancerous both, it was also the first time I did have some complications and ended up bleeding from where they took one of the polyps out and was in overnight in the hospital - Not fun but I never want to see anyone including myself go through what my sister did.....so you know what I go every year. I am not sure what my number is for your 100 - but count me in!!
    (fyi -I lose between 3-7 lbs each procedure - fyi)
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    had mine jan of 2011. have to have one every 3 yrs. polyps.
  • mkaluzny
    mkaluzny Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I had mine in January; my hubby goes in May - count us as 2
  • urbancyclist
    Options
    I'm 40 and had the honor of being double scoped in February. Glad I did. They removed two polyps, and discovered 12 ulcers in my stomach. Well worth the "embarrassment" to finally begin to feel better and have peace of mind.
  • Rockerchick77
    Options
    what a great post! I worked in a cancer clinic for three years and learned a whole lot and have changed my lifestyle a lot because of it.

Personally I have had three myself for Celiac disease but after having mine and after working in the cancer clinic I bug everyone I know to request one as well as request all women keep up to date on their paps and mammos. The standard for paps is trying to be pushed out to every 2-3 years. Had I done that I would have had full blown Cervical Cancer. I have one every 12 months and they caught it at the "stage 0"...which means thankfully it had only invaded so much of my cervix. After having surgery almost 2 yrs ago now where they removed 75% of it, I am happy to say my last two paps showed it was gone!!!! My doc told me had if I waited even a few months it would have been much worse, that they would have had to do a hysterectomy.

Preventive appts are important....please keep regular yearly physicals!! :flowerforyou:
  • mikhar
    mikhar Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Mikhar
    You can count me in. My mother passed away in 2000 of colon cancer. She thought it was hermoids and both she and her doctor just sort of dismissed it. Finally it was caught but unfortunately it was too late. I have been 3 times in the last decade and seriously the procedure is not that uncomfortable for the peace of mind that it brings....Mike
  • ashreynolds09
    ashreynolds09 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    What a great post! I am 25, so not gonna be getting one anytime soon but here's a bump for getting 100
  • mkaluzny
    mkaluzny Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    my husband had his colonoscopy yesterday. A few diverticula but no polyps. A clean (literally) colon and bill of health. Count him as one happy customer.
  • tdogdunn
    tdogdunn Posts: 1
    Options
    Had one 2 weeks ago. Polyp removed. Next one scheduled in 3 years.
  • zclark13
    zclark13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My first one is tomorrow. I just had a "light breakfast" and will continue with a liquid diet. I'm not so worried about the test...just the prep and the posibillity of spending the entire night in the bathroom!

My question is....how do you log colonoscopy prep? Just breakfast and whatever else you "eat"/drink? I honestly don't know why I am so nervous about this...
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    My first one is tomorrow. I just had a "light breakfast" and will continue with a liquid diet. I'm not so worried about the test...just the prep and the posibillity of spending the entire night in the bathroom!

My question is....how do you log colonoscopy prep? Just breakfast and whatever else you "eat"/drink? I honestly don't know why I am so nervous about this...

You dont log colonoscopy prep solutions... its definitely not something for caloric intake, its sole purpose is to clean the entire large intestine....
  • rockinright
    rockinright Posts: 241
    Options
    I am on a mission to get 100 of my MFP family to schedule a colonoscopy. My FIL is in stage 4 colon cancer that could have been prevevnted if he had payed attention and had his done. My husband had his and they removed polyps that we are waiting on results foor.

2 people responded on my first post that they were going ahead and talking to their doctoers about it.

So starting with number 3, post the number, your MFP handle and your commitment to have your colonoscopy and lets get to 100. We could seriously save some lives here.

I had one 6 months ago, does that count? Clear as a bell BTW.
  • paisano2000
    paisano2000 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello all, My colonoscopy went well with minor exceptions. The doctor had had an emergency earlier in the day, so he was about 2 hours behind schedule, but I just napped in the waiting room until the delay passed. The actual procedure went well. The Demerol cocktail kicked in quickly and I slept nicely through the procedure. Another minor exception was that I had some difficulty expelling the air pumped, which cause some very painful cramps until I achieved the desired results. The doctor was optimistic that day, saying I could wait 3 years until the next one, but upon further review of the five polyps he found, I will be back again next year for colonoscopy #13. (That's the third minor exception) No cancer is of course an excellent result, despite the fact that I will remain a regular customer for the foreseeable future. Paisano:happy:
  • Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    @paisano2000 - that is good news. Glad all went well.

@rockinright we will definitely count that one!

Any other takers?
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    26. I guess I'll be number 26. I'm on the "5 year plan" as well. I've already had two. Colon cancer runs in the family.
  • davidmcgowan1987
    Options
    Hello all, My colonoscopy went well with minor exceptions. The actual procedure went well. The Demerol cocktail kicked in quickly and I slept nicely through the procedure.

You got Demerol!

jammie git, i had mine neat!

never felt like i needed to fart so bad in my life! so put me down as number whatever, a few ahem hemmaroids but otherwise clear