Best bread to eat?

Options
I think everyone I've talked to says white is straight out of the pictures, but I've also heard that many brown breads can be decieving. Anyone know the best bread.... I went shopping this morning and some of those "dempsters" 12 grains and whole wheat looked "good" but one slice was like 120 cals and 3% of my daily fat. Is it worth the cals compared to the "wonderbread invisibles" that i bought (120 cals for 2 slices)?

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    ezekial bread...my fav is the cinnamon raisin

I get mine at Trader Joes
  • monharri
    Options
    ezekial sprouted bread. my favorite are the english muffins. you can get them at krogers, publix, or a well stocked farmer's market.
  • needlework
    needlework Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    bump
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Bump...
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I usually have kirkland split top wheat (80 calories & 3g fiber) or Natures Price whole wheat (70 calories, 2 grams). I agree with you Snazzy, I don't want to spend all my calories on bread. I read quite a few labels to arrive at a basic bread that would be good with breakfast, sandwiches, garlic, etc. For burgers and dogs, I get Roman Meal buns. They are smaller and less calories than more popular brands and more fiber than other similar sized buns.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot if bread these days. It sucks up all my carbs, lol! When I do, it's either my own homemade (and thus worth the sacrifice) or Sara Lee Soft and Smooth wheat bread.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    None. :sad:

If you eat bread, get sprouted grain breads such as Ezekiel bread. You'll probably only find it in a health food store, unless you're so lucky to have a grocer who carries it.
  • JDiveley
    Options
    its whole wheat bread
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I like Brownberry, especially healthnut and oatnut. So tasty! No HFCS, artifical colors or flavors and I just love the little nut pieces in them! Alas, they are also 120 calories so sometimes I opt for their Healthful Nuttygrain. 80 cals and 5g of protein and fiber per slice. http://brownberry.com/Our-Products/Breads/Health-full/Nutty-Grain.aspx
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    None. But if you must any whole grain without sugar. Make sure whole grain is the first incredient not jut in the name.
  • madmutt
    Options
    Ezekial Bread, sprouted grain breads are the only kind I will eat now
  • jeccalou
    jeccalou Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel or homemade
  • pasturepilot
    pasturepilot Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I usually keep Martin's potato bread (whole wheat) around the kitchen. Good protein content IIRC.
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I look for bread that says 100% whole grain. Alot of them say whole grain but they're not 100%.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I like Dave's Killer Bread, but frankly whatever fits into your macros should be fine.
  • yogamom16
    Options
    None... but if you must, Ezekiel Bread.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I eat pitas now... I have found a high protein one, it's super high in protein and fiber and low in calories and carbs (check my diary for the name of it... ).
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    Ezekiel bread can be found at Stop and Shop---with all the "healthy & organic" stuff. It comes frozen
  • lesliefunk
    lesliefunk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Dave's Killer Bread is a little more calorie dense (about 130 for a slice) but it has 4g of fiber, 6g of protein and 610mg omega 3. If you happen to be looking for a more nutritional bagel, Dave's bagels have 11g fiber, 14g protein and 1360mg omega 3 for 310 calories. I only eat half at a time because they are 100% whole grain and very filling.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Any sprouted grain bread. Love the Ezekiel breads, cinnamon raisin toasted is DA BOMB!!!