Do you have a physical disability that

Options
prevents you from exercise like jogging or doing weight training or many of the other forms of physical activity? That walking 1/2 block and back is a cause for celebration? Doesn't matter your age, where you live or what your health issues are I would really like to find others who deal with some of the same frustrations as I do. We could share and help motivate each other.

I just found this site a week ago. I've used a couple of other sites before but this one is so user friendly and I've been enjoying being on it.

Replies

• ranewell
    ranewell Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia and there are days that every move is painful. I work through it when I can, and losing 60 lbs has helped my condition (giving me more energy, making me better able to do things physically) But there are still days that I can't be as active as I would like (or at all). It's frustrating, I have the mindset that I refuse to become debilitated by it, and sometimes it helps, but honestly, stubborn tenacity or not, some days I have no choice but to give in to it. That's why I stick to it so much, in hopes it continues to improve, and on my good days I try to do as much as my schedule allows! I understand your frustration, Best of luck to you!!!
  • KLK1986
    Options
    Yes, but mine is a bit strange as in most people have no idea how it prevents me from exercising until I explain it! I have proliferative diabetic retinopathy.

This means the blood vessels in my retinas hemorrhage. I've had dozens of laser treatments for it (can't get any more - too much scar tissue) and a surgery on my left eye. I have not yet had surgery on my right eye, and am hoping to avoid that. However, any form of weight-bearing exercise is too much strain and I pop blood vessels. Same with hard running, etc. When this happens I can't see out of that eye for a week or more, until the blood clears. It is possible to lose my sight permanently. In fact, it's a leading cause of blindness in America.

As of right now I can do some things, like walking, or light biking, but that's about it.

As I often tell others - I'd rather be a little chunky or flabby and be able to see, than be fit as hell but be permanently blind!
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I'm in recovery from brain damage so there are some things I can't do and some things I can do but just not as well as I'd like to. I don't know if I'm as disabled as you were hoping to relate to- I will gladly be your friend though. I understand the frustration. :)
  • ginamarie16
    Options
    I've been living with chronic back pain for 14 years before that I was a very active person.I played softball, volley ball , bowling and was full of energy and life and now so much has changed.If you would see me you wouldn't think anything is wrong since my battle is in inside my body and doesn't show.My hardest thing is staying modivated since the pain is so intense is so hard to get up and go excerise.I was thin my whole life & never had to diet but then menopause hit me and now it's put weight on me and being in such pain it's so much harder to take it off.I try to do something every day since I know if I don't I'll end up in a wheel chair so I'm determined to not let that happen to me.I can exercise but not without pain so that's where I need to be motivated. The motivation that I do have is out of stubbourness and sometimes pride. When I'm at my lowest I think of other people that I know that are worst off then me so that keeps me going.My goal is to loose 25/30lbs and it's going to be difficult.I'm not a big eater I just eat the wrong things.Since I started logging in my food I realize what I put in my body which I never knew how much sugar, cabs and ect.that I was suppose to have so now that I can see it I think that will help me with my food choices.So here's my thought for everyone who has some kind of disability log in your food everyday and then you'll see what your eating and what is good for you and if you can't do much excerise go out and walk it doen't matter how far you can do it just do it ! Walk around your house and if you have stairs go up and down if you can.Remember some excersise is better then none! When your in your most pain think of someone else that is suffering more then you and that will help you through your pain.Remember baby steps is a begining and hopefully you'll get farther if you don't stop.Good Luck to everyone becasue I do feel your pain !
  • josephinelucy
    josephinelucy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just joined this group,

Yes I know how you feel, the worst part is that you must lower you food intakes so much to compenste for the lasck of exersize that it's almost impossible to stick with the tracking
    I was so excited to see that there are some people out there with big challenges like me . I have been failing this weight battle all my life. If you think going out to eat is hard, can you imanage owning a restaurant and being a chef with the sight and smell of food all around you all the time? well thats how I got to where I am today. I am 67years old, just 4'10" and I have at least 120 lbs to lose. The weight finaly got to me, so I had to retire last year. if I am to have any quality of life, for whatever years I have left, I absolutlyI must lose weight. My doctor will not do knee replacement surgery until I lose some weight. I can hardly stand or walk, I am in constact pain, and unable to drive, so I am home alone most of the day just learning how to cook for two after cooking for 100+ people daily for over 40 years .
    I wish with all my heart that I had done what you "kids" are doing now. i encourage all of you to "work out" while you still can, because if you don't deal with the weight now, belive me, the reality of of what life will be like is a lot worse than you can imajine.

I joined myitnesspal before Christmas and I have been off and on many times since then, I have never communicated with a group before, so i thought that perhaps I coud get/give some encouragement this time, to see if that will help my effort. In spite of all my "problems" I will count my blessings, I have a wonderful husband who still loves me and helps me me with everthing, everday. I have three wonderful children and five grandchildren who I know would be thrilled to see me get around better. I am happy to be alive and i am looking foward with God's help to being sucsessfull this time. Thanks for listening, looking foward to communicating with you but I'm not sure how this message board works . Jo
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I have fibro and arthritis.

I find as I eat well, keep my sodium levels low, stay away from alcohol, and get a massage every week (yay!), I have less problems with mobility, so I can walk more. If I have a fibro flare, I'm immobile.

Just understanding it has helped me a lot. I spent YEARS trying to "work through the pain", and just injuring myself worse.
  • anyonebutmehaha
    Options
    me! after breaking 24 bones and being in hospital bed/wheelchair for couple of years i am finally at the point where i can sorta get around. walking to mailbox is a big accomplishment. like ginamarie i was thin and super active my whole life before the 'accident' and gained weight during this recovery period...and got hit w/ menopause too, which combined is making getting the recovery weight off super difficult. however i can get to gym (just have to drive w/ my left leg only, lol) and can do non-weight-baring work outs there and i go to p/t 3 times a week.
    i am determined to get my life and old body back though so if you're looking for a stubborn friend that will not give up add me.:wink:
  • Kehnj
    Kehnj Posts: 33
    Options
    I was born with cerebral palsy.

The doctors did surgery on my leg when I was 5 and I'm now 21. I can walk unlike the majority of other's diagnosed with the same problem. It's hard to run for me, and typically I feel pain in my lower back and right leg that compensates for my weaker left leg. I can't move the foot or toes on my left leg, but I am determined to loose this weight. I can run in short bursts as long as I focus hard on keeping my foot out of the way from tripping me, but, I've fallen hard several times and skinned myself up. The Pain isn't as bad as the frustration and lacking ability to control my own foot to run properly. But I can walk fine for the most part! so I try to just walk as much as I can. Eventually my right side will start to hurt and I have to take it easy but I don't stop I just walk a little slower.
    I've never been able to ice skate, or roller blade because my other foot doesn't support me, The doctors said over time it would but As from what I can tell I just gained the ability to walk, and for that I'm grateful. I can walk, run- for a little while at least, Jump, swim and snowboard. So, I like to think I'm making the most of it. and I figure if I can do all those things, I can sure as hell loose this weight! ^^ So far so good~ I've lost 12 pounds and I'm trying to loose 100~ I'd love to be your friend
  • deedster_a
    deedster_a Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis that has resulted in one knee replacement, both hips replaced and I have also had a rotator cuff repair. I also have back problems and a digestive disorder that prevents me from eating raw fruits and vegetables, high fiber, whole grains and very much fat. I have been tracking my calories here since the middle of January and I am usually under, but don't seem to be losing weight. I need to get back to exercising after finishing PT. I love water aerobics because it is easy on all my joints. I hop the support here will get me back on the right track.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I have a rare neurological condition that causes sensory (I'm also hearing impaired) and physical disabilities. It didn't start until my early thirties so I had normal mobility before that and was fit. I have been in wheelchair since I was 35 (now 42).

I have problems with balance and co-ordination and have involuntary movements.. still mild at this stage but enough to make daily living a challenge! It's difficult to explain but at the moment my movements are similar to someone with athetoid CP (mild) if you have ever seen that.

I love my Wii, I started using it as physical therapy.. mild stretching and balance games and built up to been able to do cardio exercises (boxing and tennis). I can do quite a few exercises games now I either do them from wheelchair or on mat on floor.

One of my fav is jogging around island on wii fit but by using a pedal exerciser!. I strap wii remote to my leg and put legs in pedals.. I switch it on (its motorised so moves my legs for me as I don't have the co-ordination) and the movement makes my Mii jog around the island!! :happy:

Feel free to add my to your friends list. :flowerforyou:
  • RollinDawg
    RollinDawg Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I use a wheelchair due to a birth defect. I don't say I'm disabled, that means there's something I can't do...and I can do anything, just sometimes need a few minutes to figure out how to get it done. Send me a friend request if you'd like.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I have fibro and subluxing patellas (my kneecaps pop out). I do my best to not let these hinder my exercise, but I know that if I didn't have them I could do a ton more. It's frustrating at times, but I do what I can and try to not complain about it :smile:
  • becky123456
    becky123456 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have Charcot Marie Tooth Disease, a neurological disorder where the nerves in my feet and lower legs are messed up so I have terrible problems with balance and weakness. I have lost 33 pounds using MFP for the last almost 2 years, and I feel a lot stronger, but I still have days when I feel like I will fall down just walking across the floor. I have found that the elliptical is a good choice for me, and I walk the dog lots on the weekends, although it's hard sometimes.. He is very old and slow so we make a good pair ! haha. I work full time and have two teenage children and a husband so my plate is pretty full and it's easy to get lazy. Feel free to friend me if you wish - I would be happy to try to help motivate others if I can and can always use some good motivation too!
  • deedster_a
    deedster_a Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    What a good idea about the Wii shakybabe. I have a Wii Fit and I need to dust it off and get to work.
  • magtize
    magtize Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have fibro,that is majority of time under control.I do have flair ups but some come from what I eat.Food as well as stress has alot to do with fribo.I also have spinal stenosis.Have had lower back and neck surgery.I am only allowed to lift 10lbs.
    I have 20 more pounds to lose and have been struggling with it for 2 years.Up and down few pounds away then right back up.Now I am in a cast for broken ankle.Also dealing with back pain again.Seems I just can't get to goal.
    I am staying within calorie goal,but not being able to move I am gaining.
    I am usually active and line dance 2xs a week Work out with Leslie Sansone DVDS.WALK AT HOME.
    Hoping checking in here everyday ,being accountable,and having friends for encouragement will keep me motived till I can move again.
    Success to all of you with disabilities.
    If you want we can be friends
  • ekim724
    ekim724 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't have a physical disability but surfer from a few mental disability that keep me in doors, inactive, and the medications to treat my issues messes with my ability to loss weight and the side affects are stated "weight gain will most likely happen with this drug". So I can relate to allot of what you guys are saying.
  • lisabnelson
    Options
    I had chronic back pain for 10 years and was back and forth to doctors and as the pain became too much to bear and my left leg began to give out on me while trying to walk and I had to prop myself with pillows to sleep. I had to lift my legs to get them out of the car and out of bed but I kept going to work every day at 6:30 in the morning to start coking.
    I began to pray and decided that it was bad enough to have surgery and the doctor went in and fused the bones in my back where the disc were gone and there was no space left and my back now after 1 1/2 years has no pain from the surgery and I went back to work after six months. I am a cook at school and stay on my feet all day at work on concrete and I praise God and the talent in the hands of my doctor for the blessings of my mended back. I have degenerative desease in my back but for now I will be thankful and be the best I can and greatful for everyday that I have now. I do have arthritis in my back also but once I get up and start moving the better I feel so as I start my day slowly in the morning and make my way to work.
    I smile and try to see the sunshine in my everyday. I am 50 years old and have 3 boys and 6 grandkids that I want to enjoy with my husband. We hunt, fish and ride motor cycles together and we try to do different things together when we can for we know that as we make memories today we may have them to hold onto and get us through the days ahead when we may not be able to do things todether as we do now. I am not saying that I have no pain because as we age that is part of our body getting worn over the years. I have bunions on both feet and bad arches on both feet but as I can not exercise a lot I do try on my good days. Good luck and Prayers to all do not get frustrated because with every pound you shed the better you will begin to feel inside and out. God Bless!
  • cherriewilliams
    cherriewilliams Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have Pigmented Villonodular Synovitis. It causes the lining of the joints to overgrow and causes tumors. I have it in my left knee and had surgery to remove 2 1/2 quarts of tumor from my knee and thigh. It's been 4 months since my surgery and I still have physical therapy and walk with a cane. It's painful to just go grocery shopping so my activity level has slowed down over the past year. The only exercise i get is PT twice a week and some stretching exercises I have to do to try to rebuild my leg muscle.
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I do not, but I wanted to hop on here and say that you guys are such an inspiration....to keep at this no matter what...it kinda chokes me up.

(from the mom of an amazing child with multiple profound disabilities, the cutie on my ticker and reason I do this)
  • Cmuchoa
    Cmuchoa Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have emphysema / COPD and use oxygen 24/7 as well need several neubulizer breathing treatments a day - take many meds to include prednisone which makes it difficult to lose weight. I have been hospitalized 3 separate times since the week b4 Christmas for over 5 days each - 2 times for my lungs and once for an emergency removal of my gall bladder that ended up being one of the worse surgeries I have ever experience as there were some complications.

I am hoping that in the next two weeks I can feel strong enough to do my Elaine Powers floor exercise routine - back in the '70's this was a very popular exercise salon for women only and then Jane Fonda started putting out her own similar stuff on the huge VHS tapes.

Hope you feel better soon ! Feel free to friend me - today was my 365th day of logging into this site and there are many wonderful people here who can help you !