How could your metabolism slow down if you don't eat enough

Options
yet anorexics still lose weight and they don't eat anything?

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    11961075.jpg
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Oh...boy.
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options

it slows down 10%. as per peer reviewed research medical article...
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    .sigh.
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    11961075.jpg

OMG, this is my favorite show and he is awesome!! Good response.
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    11961075.jpg

84k8F.gif
  • Mynue_Jeens
    Mynue_Jeens Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    It slows down to a point in order to preserve the body tissue you currently have, but at some point it has to use something for fuel and begins to consume muscle, and then fat until there is nothing left to consume. Next organ failure, etc and death.
  • ger53
    ger53 Posts: 35
    Options

They are burning the muscle in their bodies, that is why they look like skin and bones.
  • WishfulShrinking331
    Options
    I just don't understand why MFP yells at me that I'm eating too few calories if the weight I will b in 5 weeks is lower what does it matter if my metabolism slows down? Won't I still achieve the same results?
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Wow, this concept just won't die. Lol, healthy weight loss or anorexia type weight loss, not all weight loss is equal, but whatever.
  • kristi_asco
    Options
    11961075.jpg

84k8F.gif

hahahaaha omg i just laughed so hard
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    If you don't give your body enough energy to work the way it's used to working, it will slow down to try to adapt so it doesn't have to resort to feeding off itself.

Eventually anorexics get to the point where their body has no other choice but to feed off itself because it just can't slow itself down any more to adapt. It's a survival mechanism.

This is important because if your body slows down and you start giving it more food again, it will suddenly have too much energy and will more easily store it as fat. It's a lot harder to speed back up after you've slowed down.
  • stefv86
    Options
    11961075.jpg

I laughed SO HARD.
    I love that guy.
  • cherrytulips
    Options
    tumblr_lotor3vXRq1qdmjgpo1_500.gif
  • Kori18
    Kori18 Posts: 48
    Options
    Say a typical anorexic eats: an apple for breakfast, dry salad for lunch, and dry cereal at dinner or maybe a can of tuna for dinner coming up to no more than 350 calories a day, with verrrry little fat.

Say you don't eat much: You grab mcds bfast sandwhich, soup for lunch, and noodles for dinner your around 800 calories.

But the anorexic is eating little with almost no fats and greases so the body doesn't have fat to cling too.
    When you eat very little but still manage to eat enough calories to slow the body with unhealthy grease and fats it clings to them longer.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand why MFP yells at me that I'm eating too few calories if the weight I will b in 5 weeks is lower what does it matter if my metabolism slows down? Won't I still achieve the same results?

No? Because you won't be able to burn the same amount of calories whilst at rest.
  • Kori18
    Kori18 Posts: 48
    Options
    Also trying to develop a mental illness won't last.. you will become malnourished and give in and binge unlike the anorexic who is compulsive with what they are doing.
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Anorexia is your body shutting down and killing itself.......

It tries to survive by doing all the other things that everyone else has send but eventually it shuts down your organs and dies. If you don't want to go that far.

The more you starve yourself for a while, you rebel against yourself, eat like a horse, then put all of the weight back because your body hasn't realised you are feeding it. and keeps trying to store. Hence if you eat more you will gain, if you have been doing that for a while. but if you do it healthily and incorporate exercise as well, you will see better results and have a lot more energy.

Just remember also, MFP+the computer = calculations, it's not your body and will calculate what you put in to it as fact, but fact is your own body and what you do to it
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Um, no. Once your metabolism slows down you will basically have to eat like you're on a diet for the rest of your life, or you will end up gaining all the weight back, plus extra.
  • WishfulShrinking331
    Options
    Never was trying to develop a mental illness I was just asking a question