How could your metabolism slow down if you don't eat enough

Options
2»

Replies

• GreyhoundGuru
    GreyhoundGuru Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I wish there was a "LIKE" button on each message...as I've really liked some of these responses :-)
  • Kassieisproud
    Options
    Keep in mind that MFP is only an estimate based on your weight It doesnt know how much muscle mass You have Muscle burns more calories at rest If you dont eat enough you lose muscle mass which means you lose weight slower You also become whats called "Skinny fat" Which means you have a low weight but still have trouble areas No one wants that If you want to look good work out and eat enough Its just that simple
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Resting metabolic rate is the amount of energy your body requires to just get through the day and survive. You have a set number of cells in your body, including muscle tissue, lymphatic tissue, cardiac muscles, and basically every single other cell in your body. Every cell requires energy to function; that energy must come from outside the body, because otherwise, constant consumption of energy within the body destroys the organism, because the energy doesn't appear out of nowhere; it must be recycled from energy that exists already in the environment.

So say an anorexic stops eating. Their metabolism stays the same for a while, and they'll lose weight. But the problem comes in where they're losing weight, because your body will be pretty indiscriminate when it comes to energy consumption. As less and less energy comes from outside sources, the body is forced to consume its stores: Proteins in muscles, lipids in fat. As more of those cells are consumed, less of those cells require the same amount of energy to function overall in the body, lowering the resting metabolic rate. Healthy weight loss will actually increase muscle cell size, because they body can build tissue, and support growth, and it will increase the metabolic rate, because those cells require energy to function. Unhealthy weight loss will result in tissue lost, and breakdown of body functions, which lowers the metabolic rate, because there are fewer cells to support with outside energy.

So anorexics lose weight, but they're also lowering their metabolism, and destroying healthy tissue, which ultimately will have a negative impact on their health. Which shows that focusing on numbers on the scale is a ridiculous thing, because it doesn't reflect anything else about overall body health.
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Also trying to develop a mental illness won't last.. you will become malnourished and give in and binge unlike the anorexic who is compulsive with what they are doing.

Death is also a side effect of anorexia nervosa.
  • plushkitten
    plushkitten Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    11961075.jpg

OMG, this is my favorite show and he is awesome!! Good response.

Ahahahahahah omg nice. I love that show.
  • godricshollow
    godricshollow Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    11961075.jpg

Oh my god... flawless response. :flowerforyou:
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I just don't understand why MFP yells at me that I'm eating too few calories if the weight I will b in 5 weeks is lower what does it matter if my metabolism slows down? Won't I still achieve the same results?

Um, no. Once your metabolism slows down you will basically have to eat like you're on a diet for the rest of your life, or you will end up gaining all the weight back, plus extra.

Exactly. Either eat that little forever, or gain it all back. And when you gain it back it would probably be more because of the loss of muscle.

Eat at a healthy deficit and take your time. Why rush
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand why MFP yells at me that I'm eating too few calories if the weight I will b in 5 weeks is lower what does it matter if my metabolism slows down? Won't I still achieve the same results?

Um, no. Once your metabolism slows down you will basically have to eat like you're on a diet for the rest of your life, or you will end up gaining all the weight back, plus extra.

Exactly. Either eat that little forever, or gain it all back. And when you gain it back it would probably be more because of the loss of muscle.

^Exactly. I think under 1000 calories day for anyone is just wrong.
    ScreenShot2012-02-18at95347PM.png

Eat at a healthy deficit and take your time. Why rush
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Are you still in high school or something? The logic and picture backdrop seem like it.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options

it slows down 10%. as per peer reviewed research medical article...

10% is huge.
  • Aphreal
    Aphreal Posts: 103
    Options

This is what I was looking for. The key is to eat as much as you can and still loose so you can eat more on maintenance and not gain. Want to eat 500 calories a day for the rest of your life because you starved yourself to a ridiculous size 0? That is what will happen. Go back to eating normally and you gain it back. You are stuck with next to nothing because that is how you trained your body.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    11961075.jpg

Exactly.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Say a typical anorexic eats: an apple for breakfast, dry salad for lunch, and dry cereal at dinner or maybe a can of tuna for dinner coming up to no more than 350 calories a day, with verrrry little fat.

Say you don't eat much: You grab mcds bfast sandwhich, soup for lunch, and noodles for dinner your around 800 calories.

But the anorexic is eating little with almost no fats and greases so the body doesn't have fat to cling too.
    When you eat very little but still manage to eat enough calories to slow the body with unhealthy grease and fats it clings to them longer.

No, just no. 800 calories would not be enough to keep the body from slowing down. And fat gain/fat loss isn't dependent upon whether or not you eat unhealthy grease and fats.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    As well as weight, you will also lose your hair, any energy you previously possessed, long-term health and possibly your life. Yeah, I'm totally tempted *rolls eyes*