Reasons for eating under 1200 cals

Options
13»

Replies

• elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry that you're not feeling well and that eating makes you feel sick.

I would say eat as much as you can - perhaps if you make up high calorie shakes and sip them slowly, that might help getting towards 1,200 calories?

Have you spoken to your doctor about this? It might be best to get a medical opinion. If you're in the UK, try ringing NHS Direct and asking them.

This is the most sensible suggestion - especially when you are on medication (and some do have side effects of nausea loss of appetite) i completely understand where you are coming from, as only this year went to A&E as i had an accident with my back and they gave me morphine, diazepam and codeine and then when i eent home, i was on duazepam and codeine for a while. I have never had anything stronger than a paracetemol before so i had the exact same as you.... No appetite, nausea and stomach ache.... Thing is dont force yourself to have the calories atm.....but please consult a doctor or nhs direct asap to voice concerns. And get a diagnosis for proper professional advice
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I agree to give it some time for your body to adjust to your medication. IF You feel like you can..I would suggest making a smoothie or protein shake each day to get some calories in you.

1 Banana
    1/2 Yogurt (Vanilla)
    1 cup Berries of choice (I like Blue berries and strawberries)
    1/2 cup of OJ
    Ice
    (add 1 scoop of protein powder if you have it)

1/2 Cup Vanila Yogurt
    1-2 TBLS Peanut Butter
    1 Banana
    Ice
    (protein Powder if you have it)
    Cocoa Powder is a yummy addition as well.

If you cannot have dairy...google dairy free smoothies.

Best of luck to you..that stinks when you are not feeling right.

I make one with chocolate whey protein::
    1 c. plain almond milk
    1/2 banana
    5 frozen strawberries (about 1 c.)
    2 scoops chocolate protein powder
    ice
    Whip up in the blender. Tastes like a chocolate shake!! :) Also good (and adds cals) to skip the strawberries and put in a tablespoon or two of peanut butter or PB2.
    whip up in the blender. only about 255 cals.
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    To the OP - nothing bad will happen to you if you don't eat exactly 1200 cal/day every day. I have, in the past and currently, suffer from poor appetite related to illness. I've spent weeks at a time struggling to eat even 1000 calories and I never had serious consequences outside of weight loss. So, don't worry!

The only thing I would recommend is to focus on getting minimal adequate protein - at least 50g a day.

There are different anti-depressents you can try if the low appetite problems continue, so don't despair if this one doesn't work out for you. People react differently to different medications and such.

Good luck!