Cutting Back Alcohol

Options
Is any out there trying to cut back on alcohol? Interested in starting a group? I'm having a hard time and could use some support!

Replies

• July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    Is any out there trying to cut back on alcohol? Interested in starting a group? I'm having a hard time and could use some support!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    sure- I have been cutting back because it is so high in calories. If I drink, I know I'm gonna have to give up some (more filling) food. But I'd be happy to lend support! :flowerforyou:
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    sure- I have been cutting back because it is so high in calories. If I drink, I know I'm gonna have to give up some (more filling) food. But I'd be happy to lend support! :flowerforyou:

IM IN!!! i drink daily!! i have either wine or beer every evening to wind down from my day! and i know that's why my butt won't lose weight!!!! SO IM IN BIG TIME!!!!
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    before my lifestyle change I would drink a beer a night. I have not had one in nearly 5 weeks although I still have a ton laying around my house. I am not giving it up for good, but I am giving it up until I am at least half way to my goal, then I will allow myself 1 a week until i reach my goal.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    I am trying to cut back. No alcohol thru the week and less on the weekends. No need to see how many beers I can drink on a Friday and Saturday night! Sunday drinks are hard to stay away from too! :blushing:
  • hulfordca
    Options
    I can stay away from candy, cookies, and ice cream but when it comes to the booze. No way. It's not that I crave it, but it's a social thing. When I'm hanging with friends, that's what we do. Have a few beers. I'm not drinking during the week, but the weekends kill me. I really try to make an honest effort to cut back but it's hard when everyone else is having a good time.

I'm in...
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    Great! Any tips to share on cutting back on alcohol?
    Here are some I have:

1. Alternate with diet soda, water, or seltzer every other drink
    2. Make a weaker drink - a wine cooler with flavored seltzer water, or more diet soda in a mixed drink

My goal for this week is to make sure that I count the drinks!
  • laurenjill
    laurenjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    This is my biggest problem with weight gain! I've realized that I don't eat enough calories, but DRINK them all up! Heck, a while back, I even considered a low-carb diet just so I could still consume hard liquor! I hate to admit it, but I'm still budgeting my calories for booze.
    I am so in. I'm going through this cycle, when I drop enough weight, I'm going to quit smoking, but that's gonna be really hard to go unless I cut back on the drinking!
  • mgibson0063
    Options
    Im also a social drinker. When Im out having drinks, dancing is usually also involved at some point so I was hoping that would burn the calories that I drank.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    probably not gibson- you have to run a mile to lose 100 calories, so dancing will do some good, but probably not balance it out completely- sorry:embarassed:
  • mbmempireranch
    Options
    Count Me in on this one too.. In fact I just spent the last hour searching this very topic On MFP ! And then I sign back on and here you are ! I'm in !

I drink wine nightly ( hence my 30 lbs now I have to re-lose ) I'm not so sure for me if actually saving those calories is a good thing. I'm not sure how it all works but I am thinking of doing the no drinking during the weekdays and only on the weekends... Crazy isnt it !

On that note I'll start Monday :drinker:

LOL !!!!

Honestly, I know its why I have gained weight ! I still have a TON of calories left to eat today and I've been eating all day it seems !
  • laurenjill
    laurenjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    On that note I'll start Monday :drinker:
    Haha, that's exactly what I said to myself after reading this post.
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    OK, so here it is Monday morning, and did I cut back at all this weekend - not exactly.

Friday I think I had 4 beers and a shot of tequila. Saturday, I had 2 while working in the yard, then had friends over. I know I had 2 mixed drinks (Beam and Diet Coke) and probably ummmm 6 beers (at least). Not to mention the ribs, mac n cheese, and baked beans for dinner! AHHH weekends!!!!
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    OH! I also forgot Friday we went to lunch for a coworker's b-day and we split a bottle of wine which was 2 glasses for me!
  • hulfordca
    Options
    I was also terrible. Saturday was a Bar Golf Tournament in Boston. Needless to say you are supposed to wonder from bar to bar and have a drink. I was drinking from 1pm to midnight. I easily could have had 20 beers. At least it was light beer. :)
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    DH and I killed a bottle of tequila yesterday. I had an awful headache, and went to bed early. Woke up dehydrated, feeling like crap.

UGH.

What a waste of calories:frown:
  • skinnymel
    skinnymel Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    i am IN! i also realized when i signed on to mfp that between starbucks and red wine, almost all my calories are liquid! argh!!!
  • wildkat318
    wildkat318 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I'm in too! I'm a nightly drinker of wine. :bigsmile: My first goal is to keep it to Friday and Saturday so I will start tonight! :sad: Good thread, thanks for posting it. Good luck to everyone, we can do it! :drinker:
  • erlehmkuhle
    Options
    I'm in too even though I quit drinking totally 5 years ago. I used to be an alcoholic and used it to drown my sorrows. But after legal issues and my community respect destroyed, I decided to give up the booze. I substitute my negative alcohol problem with my positive family. It has worked out a lot. It suprised everyone in my family since I'm the dark horse of the family. Now, I'm the only sober one. Cutting back is definately good. I encourage all of you to do so. A clear head makes clear decisions.
  • wildkat318
    wildkat318 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    A clear head makes clear decisions.

True words!

After a glass of wine or two my decisions are certainly not the best or in line with what I'm trying to do. When struggling with a decision/choice I ask myself "What is it I want, What am I doing to get it? Is it working?" and it always helps. BUT...after wine I can't remember the questions. :blushing: