Premade Bring To Work Breakfast Ideas

Options
Getting ready to go to the grocery store, but hoping for some ideas here.

Lately I have been taking a whole grain wheat bagel for breakfast with me to work. As delicious as those are, they are starting to wear down on me.

I would like to buy something at the grocery store that I can just pull out and take with me in the morning rather then make it and go. I would also like it to be something filling. Just a piece of fruit doesn't do it for me. I work around a computer as well, so it can't be too messy either.

Ideas?

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    On the weekends I make up a big batch of pancakes, I vary the recipe sometimes adding protein powder to the mix, or maybe stirring in a bit of syrup for ones I know I'd be using at work. Make the big batch, put them in a container separated by wax paper or parchment paper (prevents them from sticking together) freeze em, grab em on your way out the door and pop in the toaster... works just like eggo's or other frozen waffles without the hassle and you know what went in them from scratch.
  • nickyeatrunread
    nickyeatrunread Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I don't buy mine from the grocery story, but my favorite go-to on-the-go breakfast is these homemade breakfast pockets.

I base my recipe on this and then just make a batch or two and freeze them. Then, in the morning, I throw them in when I turn the oven on to 350º, and then when I'm ready to walk out the door 30 minutes later, they're perfect to grab and go.

http://www.budgetgourmetmom.com/breakfast-pockets/

For dough I sub applesauce for the oil and up to half the flour for whole wheat.
    In the filling I use low fat turkey ham or whatever I have on hand, egg beaters, and extra veggies (spinach and mushrooms are a favorite)!

I think they're great and keep me full all day (and come in really cheap at approx $1-$1.30 a pocket depending on if you add extra meat or not!)
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    My friend brings French vanilla yogurt and mixes it with a banana. I just bring hard boiled eggs.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Good Food Made simple frozen Steel Cut Oatmeal w/ Berries OR Vermont Maple Syrup/

Peanut butter and apples
  • harleygirlT
    harleygirlT Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Protein is a great way to start your day. I do a hard boiled egg (78 Calories) or a 100 calorie bagel thin with Fat Free Cream Cheese. Protein plus special K with 1% milk or a special K protein shake!
  • PediDocChicago
    PediDocChicago Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I really like "lean pockets" breakfast ones. The bacon-egg-cheese. Not perfect nutritionally, but they are yummy, a reaonable amount of calories (I think 260) and curb the desire for an egg-mcmuffin.
    I alternate that with packets of low-sugar flavored oatmeal (I like the quaker weight control with brown sugar and maple), into which you can throw a handful of berries/banana slices, if you're motivated.
    Last one - delicious, stolen from South Beach.. you can prepare in adance. 1/2 cup of lowfat or fat free cottage cheese. Mix in a packet of splenda, some cinnamon, and a 1tsp of vanilla extract. Can prepare and keep in fridge. When ready to leave, throw in a small handful of walnuts. Its sweet, crunchy, and high in protein.
  • Sweetchaos66
    Sweetchaos66 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I love hard boiled eggs. I make 10 on Sunday night and throw 2 in my bag every morning. The protein keeps me full until lunch.
  • GreyhoundGuru
    GreyhoundGuru Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Using a muffin pan, make mini omelets on Sunday night. In each muffin hole, add an egg (mix well), low fat cheese, and some veggies. Bake them until cooked, let them cool, then put them i the fridge. Then you can pull one or two of them out each morning for breakfast to go.
  • Nerdybookgirl
    Nerdybookgirl Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I like those fiber one bars. Sometimes I pair it with a protein (boiled egg, low-fat cheese stick, or yogurt).
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    On the weekend I premake egg white cupcakes and eat 3 or 4 in the morning(about a cup of eggs). Basically it is egg whites and cheese baked in a cupcake tin. You could also add veggies and use whole eggs if you like. They last in the fridge all week. I also always have hard boiled eggs on hand for quick snack.
  • JetFixer
    JetFixer Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I bring two small tupperware containers 1 with a measured portion of cereal and the other with a measured portion of skim milk. I set them up the night before so I can just grab them and go out the door. Just pour the milk into the cereal when you're ready to eat!
  • Lrt4uk
    Lrt4uk Posts: 174
    Options
    This week I made my own breakfast sandwiches, and froze them.

I used whole wheat english muffins, 1 egg on each, 1 slice of pepperjack cheese on each, and 2 slices of turkey bacon on each. I made 6 and they are around 325 cals each.

Not original, but certanly yummy!
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a microwave, I recommend a kind of insta-oatmeal called Mom's Best Naturals (I go for Plain Grain) since it cooks up nicely that way.

If not, then I'd go the insulated lunchbox/bag route and take a container of greek yogurt with me.

I have a stash of breakfast items put away in our "teacher's nook" in our classroom. It includes packets of instant coffee, sugar free hot cocoa, powdered milk, packets of protein powder and a wee container of peanut butter...along with the oatmeal. I like knowing it's there.
  • ashley67203
    Options
    I'm a big fan of peanut butter sandwiches for breakfast because they keep me from getting hungry later. You could keep a jar of peanut butter and a package of whole wheat flat buns at your desk - that way you don't have to even think about it when you leave the house.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I scramble two eggs with a handful of baby spinach the night before. I just heat it up in the microwave when I'm ready to eat at work. I make my lunch and the kids' lunches before I go to bed at night anyway so it's nothing extra for me.
  • pigwidgeon82
    pigwidgeon82 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    One thing I've been liking lately is breakfast egg rolls.

I scramble some eggs, then put the eggs in with a little cheese and roasted red peppers in an egg roll wrapper. I cook them ahead of time and just heat them up when I'm ready to eat. They are delicious. Last batch I made 8 with three eggs. It came out to 113 cal. an egg roll.
  • mbmorse1011
    mbmorse1011 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I always premake my breakfasts on sunday night

Greek Yogurt and berries
    Rolled oats cinnamon and splenda, in the morning I cut up and apple and throw in before cooking
  • twisted88
    twisted88 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MaddameKat
    MaddameKat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    last week i made banana zucchini bread for breakfast, this week it's greek yogurt or apple and cinni muffins ( when i bake them) i like cakes and breads but store bought ones have too many additives for my liking. I also worship at the altar of the boiled egg.