Help Cooking Asparagus

13»

Replies

• I snap mine, then steam them. When they are about done I squeeze fresh lemon juice and sprinkle with a little sea salt. In the summer if I am grilling, I put the spears on the grill grate (crosswise so they don't fall through) and cook them. I add the lemon juice right at the end then too because it give it a caramelized texture to the outside. Delish!
  • crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    Thanks everyone! I'm going to try again tonight!
  • Ruthy420
    Ruthy420 Posts: 41 Member
    I'VE MADE THEM ON THE GEORGE FOREMAN GRILL, COAT THE GRILL WITH NONSTICK BUTTER FLAVORED SPRAY, SPRAY THE SPEARS TOO AND COAT WITH SEA SALT & PARMESAN CHEESE, TURN THEM AFTER A FEW MINUTES, I LOVE THE WAY VEGGIES TASTE ON THE GRILL, GIVES IT A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TASTE! DELISH, ENJOY!
  • TammyW18
    TammyW18 Posts: 244 Member
    I either steam it in my steamer or my favorite I wrap it in aluminum foil with some olive oil and garlic and put it on the grill...YUMMO!
  • beckys19
    beckys19 Posts: 119 Member
    My favorite: sautee with a little bit of butter, granulated garlic, and a tad of salt. Add salt and granulated garlic when the asparagus is almost done. I haven't tried it with olive oil, but that might work too- for stir-fries I use an oil mister (refillable, pump-air pressure driven) it'sa great way to get oil right where you need it and helps cut down total amount used.

Plus, Alton Brown usually has some really good recipes, though I can't personally vouch for the ones on this show... The link below is to the Good Eats Fan Page, where you can find the recipes and transcript of the asparagus show.
    http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/GEFP/index.htm

Or you can go to youtube and enter "age of asparagus"
  • denlyons
    denlyons Posts: 11 Member
    Spray cookie sheet with Pam lay the asparagus single layer down. (After you snap bottoms off) Drizzle with olive oil 1 tablespoon and do any kind of seasonings like garlic pepper, etc. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15-20mins. Mmmm!
  • Bump. A lot of good ideas here. I also have a terrible time making good asparagus.
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    I must be boring. I just steam them and eat them. I don't care too much for butter on my veggies.
  • beckys19
    beckys19 Posts: 119 Member
    The olive oil spray with sauteed asparagus (with salt and granulated garlic) worked great last night! I clocked my oil sprayer at 1g per 5 seconds, found out the olive oil was 11g per Tablespoon, so my 5 second blast only added 10 calories!