123457»

Replies

• deniserenee_02
    deniserenee_02 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    That will be my next big purchase :)
  • anneleavesley
    Options
    my grandaughter and i started the my fitness pal together and she insisted we weigh everything and now it is part of preparing our food it only takes seconds and we know we are eating the amount we should in the past i have guessed foods and struggled to lose weight but this time the weight has come of easier and i am sure its all through eating the correct amount hope this helps good luck
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    i measure EVERYTHING now. i've been doing it for a few weeks. sometimes its annoying, but at least im being accurate. without it i would over or under measure.

I've had the EatSmart food scale (g, lbs, kg, oz) for about 3 weeks http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Kitchen-Silver/dp/B001N07KUE/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1329808201&sr=1-1
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutley, scales all the weigh (pun intended) :wink:
  • KatieLauren19
    Options
    It's such a great idea! they are super cheap on Amazon. We don't use our as much anymore but for the first few months of our fitness plan we used it. then after a while we had a much better idea of size control and use it for new foods or foods we haven't had in a while.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I would be lost without mine. The 1st one I bought I had to return because I found it too difficult to read the numbers they were so small. The next one I bought was perfect! It is a Slater and it measures in ounces. grams, etc. I put a sheet of saran wrap on top, add the meat to measure, then throw it out and still have a clean scale for the next item. Love it and all my measuring spoons and cups!
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Just bought mine yesterday and LOVE IT!

I was really off on my portions (tracking wise).

It's a good investment, if you get a reliable one that will last you.

Katie
  • Monkee_Magic
    Monkee_Magic Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yes a digital food scale with 'tare' function. I do feel a little tied to it, but you know exactly what you are putting in. I use grams for most of my weighing and working out. With fruit and veg I don't generally weigh at the start, but do it as my bowl or plate is being filled, but for calorie dense foods or ones I need to get right, cheese, red meat etc I use the scale beforehand to ensure I have the right size portion to start with. When my wife is home and cooking she sometimes forgets to do the 'chore' of weighing for me so I try and do it by eye, but my wonky eyes aren't that accurate, so scales whenever I can.

I think on balance, (you like that) most people would be as accurate as they can be until you are where you want to be and have a good feeling for portion size. :smile:
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    :smile: Please help. I want to know how many food loggers use a scale for accurate measuring~do you, or do you guesstimate portions?

Only thing I dont weigh is some fruit as its entered in as a medium banana or a small fig.
    Why go to all this effort to create change and sabatoge yourself?
    Being in doubt about the food going in your mouth is a cr*ppy way to live. Its freeing to just enjoy your food knowing that its doing you good and not making you gain.
    I dont like the taste of guilt on my food its not a spice I relish.
    I probably seem extreme compared to others but I didnt gain 50 kilos of fat by being good at estimating calorie content and portions. So now I am losing weight why would I put someone incompetent in charge of deciding portions without some kind of external check? Even if that incompetent person is me?

Edited to add. Wow glad to see so many people weighing. I don't feel so obsessive now! :)
  • annie7hudds
    annie7hudds Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Guilty - I rarely weigh my portions either... The U Tube video was an eye opener.

I do have a food scale, but it isn't digital - so it is too easy to 'over weigh' portions.

I think I will treat myself to a cheapo set of digital scales pronto.
  • HeatherHoskins
    HeatherHoskins Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I just watched the video and I am going to be more diciplined from now on. Thank you.
  • bfeusner
    bfeusner Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I couldn't live without my food scale

Me either! My family hates it because it takes me forever to make a plate when weighing/measuring everything and logging it but it makes things way more accurate! I am a terrible judge of portion sizes!
  • theredcliche
    theredcliche Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I love weighing my food. Try scooping out 1/2 cup ice cream or pouring 3/4 cup cereal. It's more like 1 1/2 cups as a serving. I was totally under-estimating my portion sizes before weighing.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    That will be my next big purchase :)
    Mine only costed me $15 bucks at Target. LOL at "big purchace". Big purchace is like buying a car...oh and any more I guess it could be even buying gas for you car.. hahahah....:laugh:
  • LadyBuell
    Options
    I use my scale and measuring cups and spoons all the time. I even have a set of measuring cups/spoons at work and just this morning thought about getting a food scale for work. In the meantime though I will use our admin's postal scale. I sure makes it easier to know how much you are really getting.

There is a handy reference that tells you how to eye your food if you don't want to actually weigh/measure it. For example: a portion of meat is about the size of a deck of cards, 1 cup is about the size of your fist.

You can get fairly inexpensive food scales.

Yes it takes more time to measure and log your food before you eat it. If you do it that way you can tell before you eat if you are going to go over. If you are going to go over you can always reduce your portion.
  • neversettle
    neversettle Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I couldn't live without my food scale
  • L2M1D52
    L2M1D52 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I love my food scale! I learned alot more about serving sizes that way.
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Food scale? YES!!!!! I have a scale and use it regularly. It's eye opening to see a single serving of chips, or anything, really. I also have a scoop that's 1/4c. I use it when I have ice cream or mashed potatoes. Keeps me honest!