Diet Soda Warnings

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options
    My mom's best friend drank those diet sodas for 35 years. She was there from the time I was a toddler and she helped raise me. About 6 years ago she started showing signs of dementia--in her mid 50s-- and now she has full-blown Alzheimer's. The doctor said it was from 35 years of daily aspartame consumption. She weighs about 80 pounds now and doesn't recognize me, my mother, her children, or her grandkids. You don't have to believe me, but this is reality for us.

Please don't drink those awful things. I'm not interested in my friends' waistlines. I'd rather they were able to grow old with me.
    Correlation doesn't equal causation. That's what people should take from this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is fine for your brain, yes. Your brain has a barrier designed to protect it. In many ways, it's a separate compartment- isolated from the rest of your body. Some things can get past that barrier, but a lot of things can't.

"We know aspartame damages DNA and we know it destroys neurons. Dr. James Bowen, of course, explained it so it's easy to understand. And he said: "Aspartic acid, the excitotoxic component of aspartame does not cross the blood brain barrier but is secreted into the cerebral spinal fluid by the choroid plexus located in the ventricles of the brain. There, in the brain's lower area and upper terminus of the spinal is where Lou Gehrigs, Parkinson's Disease and Multiple Sclerosis damage is most prominent. These critical locations are bathed in the toxin as it removes from the blood. From the third to fourth ventricle there is a narrow canal called sylvian aqueduct which fills with this secretion and washes the roof of the hypothalamus."

http://www.wnho.net/aspartameandgulfwar.htm

I don't know anything about the doctor who stated this, but I was curious about what you said, so I Googled. From his/her perspective, it seems there could still be a disease risk.

Hmmmm. I'll look into this then, see if I can verify it with some pubmed sources.

I'm still pretty skeptical, but I'm always open to new data, and if it turns out to be true, I'll re-evaluate my stance.

But even if it does get into the brain in a round-about-way, concentration matters. Aspartic acid is not excitotoxic at the appropriate concentrations. It's present in your brain, just like glutamate and other amino acids. It doesn't cause problems until it reaches higher levels.

To know whether it has any effect at all on the brain, I'd need to know how much the aspartame in a typical diet beverage raises the blood-concentration of aspartic acid and how much of that makes it into the CSF (if it actually does). Only then would I know whether it's toxic at all.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    With several other medical opinions. Mainly that aspartame is a neurotoxin.
    Oh geez..............

IDEA Fitness member
  • greenbean7419
    Options
    once upon a time I was bartender, an had to take a course about alcohol consumption. fun fact that I learned is that the carbonation in soda slows down metabolize for 3 hours after intake, so you will be drunk longer drinking a whiskey coke than you would drinking straight shots ;). It goes to say that if your trying to shed calories through out the day drinking any carbonated beverage is only working against you. viva Le straight shots!
  • LabRat529
    Options
    Aspartame is fine for your brain, yes. Your brain has a barrier designed to protect it. In many ways, it's a separate compartment- isolated from the rest of your body. Some things can get past that barrier, but a lot of things can't.

"We know aspartame damages DNA and we know it destroys neurons. Dr. James Bowen, of course, explained it so it's easy to understand. And he said: "Aspartic acid, the excitotoxic component of aspartame does not cross the blood brain barrier but is secreted into the cerebral spinal fluid by the choroid plexus located in the ventricles of the brain. There, in the brain's lower area and upper terminus of the spinal is where Lou Gehrigs, Parkinson's Disease and Multiple Sclerosis damage is most prominent. These critical locations are bathed in the toxin as it removes from the blood. From the third to fourth ventricle there is a narrow canal called sylvian aqueduct which fills with this secretion and washes the roof of the hypothalamus."

I don't know anything about the doctor who stated this, but I was curious about what you said, so I Googled. From his/her perspective, it seems there could still be a disease risk.

Hmmmm. I'll look into this then, see if I can verify it with some pubmed sources.

I'm still pretty skeptical, but I'm always open to new data, and if it turns out to be true, I'll re-evaluate my stance.

But even if it does get into the brain in a round-about-way, concentration matters. Aspartic acid is not excitotoxic at the appropriate concentrations. It's present in your brain, just like glutamate and other amino acids. It doesn't cause problems until it reaches higher levels.

To know whether it has any effect at all on the brain, I'd need to know how much the aspartame in a typical diet beverage raises the blood-concentration of aspartic acid and how much of that makes it into the CSF (if it actually does). Only then would I know whether it's toxic at all.

P.S. I'm not going to get to tonight, most likely. It will probably take a lot of digging. First I'll have to find out if it really makes it into the CSF, then I'd have to find out if it is a high enough concentration to matter.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

That doctor loses all credibility by calling aspartic acid toxic. Aspartic acid is an amino acid (aka protein) that is found in every protein source humans consume. Not only that, but aspartic acid is a nonessential amino, meaning we don't have to get it from our diet because the human body manufactures it already.

So basically this doctor says the human body regularly manufactures a substance that's highly toxic to the brain, especially odd, seeing as the body would be unable to survive without it.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Aspartame is a poison. Research it. I would never touch a diet soda (or anything w/nutrasweet in it).
    I should be dead then................as well as many others here who drink it. Researching "opinions" and not actual facts are reasons why people now are even disregarding immunization shots. Don't believe what you read unless you have actual peer reviewed studies to back them.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    once upon a time I was bartender, an had to take a course about alcohol consumption. fun fact that I learned is that the carbonation in soda slows down metabolize for 3 hours after intake, so you will be drunk longer drinking a whiskey coke than you would drinking straight shots ;). It goes to say that if your trying to shed calories through out the day drinking any carbonated beverage is only working against you. viva Le straight shots!

hmmmm...I have never heard nor read that carbonation slows down metabolism. Do you have a source for this?
    thanks
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    fun fact that I learned is that the carbonation in soda slows down metabolize for 3 hours after intake

Utter nonsense.

Carbonation doesn't slow metabolism, but it may speed absorption of alcohol.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17720590
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Thanks, Ron. I'll be sure to laugh at your questions and offer you statistics when someone you love is dying and you can't do anything to help.
    You're taking it on a personal level. It's like saying that if you had a bad experience with a chain restaurant, that ALL of the chain restaurants are bad. Science is a means to find actual results. If your grandmother's doctor can't emphatically say that aspartame was the exact cause for her Alzheimer's, then he's just speculating. And my grandfather died of it, so I'm not insensitive to it. And he didn't drink diet soda nor anything with sugar substitutes.

IDEA Fitness member
  • lissypriss
    lissypriss Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I suffered from hives nightly for years, had to take benedryl every night just to sleep. I read an article on the effects aspartame had on the body, so I quit using it. Two days later--no hives! I read labels carefully and haven't had them since. I stopped drinking diet sodas and lost a ton of water weight. I have one every once in a while, but for the most part, just water. As for people drinking them anyway, I'm reminded of the old saying.."You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."

This site is full of advice for people looking to change their lives, but you can't force them to take it. Live and learn!

Hmm. I am allergic to penicillin. By your logic, this makes it bad for everyone else too.

I don't break out in hives when I drink diet soda and I have stopped drinking it on more than one occasion and saw no weight loss. If YOU have a reaction to it, by all means, stop drinking it, but I don't see why everyone else should follow suit.

Where in my post did I suggest anyone to stop drinking sodas?? I was indeed stating FACTS that happened to ME. By all means, drink away! Maybe someone reading this may have the same issue and it could help them, that's why I posted this...
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    This is why you should just stick to water. There is no confusion about weather it's good or bad for you. Soda has lots of sugar=bad. Diet soda has artificial sugars =Bad? Good? Who knows. I have heard more bad than good and personally i prefer REAL foods. The earth provided everything we need you don't need to eat some science project.

For people who say we need artificial because were running out of food or whatever. No, we just need to learn to eat less. Also it would help if people like kate + 8 or the octamom didn't exist. 1-2 kids is all anyone needs.
    Kinda subjective there on the kids. There are lots of families out there that are happy with more than 2 kids.

IDEA Fitness member
  • akjstyles
    akjstyles Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Diet pop threads and the horrors of Aspartame always make me laugh. It sure does bring out the worst in people.
  • LabRat529
    Options
    That doctor loses all credibility by calling aspartic acid toxic. Aspartic acid is an amino acid (aka protein) that is found in every protein source humans consume. Not only that, but aspartic acid is a nonessential amino, meaning we don't have to get it from our diet because the human body manufactures it already.

So basically this doctor says the human body regularly manufactures a substance that's highly toxic to the brain, especially odd, seeing as the body would be unable to survive without it.

Well actually... while I don't particularly believe the doctor's claims, I'm willing to set aside my bias and look because... when it comes to brains, amino acids can be toxic.

But only at the right concentration.

I wrote my dissertation on the toxic effects of glutamate in the brain. When nerve cells are damaged, they release excess glutamate into their environment and that glutamate over-excites near by neurons and kills them. So it happens. It's not so crazy that I'll say instantly "no way".

But... again... the right concentration.

And again... I'm pretty skeptical that aspartic acid is elevated in the blood to any significant extent by aspartame. I mean... it's kind of like putting a cup full of salt in the sea, I'd imagine. I just don't think aspartame is going to make a dent... but I could be wrong.

And then, of course... does it get into the brain through some round-about-way (since I already know it doesn't cross the blood brain barrier)?

So I'm not saying the doctor is right. Just saying... i don't know what I'm just saying... I guess that the idea isn't completely totally crazy.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Well actually... while I don't particularly believe the doctor's claims, I'm willing to set aside my bias and look because... when it comes to brains, amino acids can be toxic.

I wrote my dissertation on the toxic effects of glutamate in the brain. When nerve cells are damaged, they release excess glutamate into their environment and that glutamate over-excites near by neurons and kills them. So it happens. It's not so crazy that I'll say instantly "no way".

And again... I'm pretty skeptical that aspartic acid is elevated in the blood to any significant extent by aspartame. I mean... it's kind of like putting a cup full of salt in the sea, I'd imagine. I just don't think aspartame is going to make a dent... but I could be wrong.

And then, of course... does it get into the brain through some round-about-way (since I already know it doesn't cross the blood brain barrier)?

So I'm not saying the doctor is right. Just saying... i don't know what I'm just saying... I guess that the idea isn't completely totally crazy.

Would, or could, an excess of histamine increase the toxicity of aspartic acid?
  • lucysposaro
    lucysposaro Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    This kinda reminds me of the people who say you eat to much you dont eat enough you should exersice more this is bad for you this is better for you....I have read alot of peoples diarys and spoken to alot of people.Everyone is diffrent i may not be a expert but i find if i eat more i gain more alot of people will say oh if u eat more u will lose alot more thats a load of bull i eat twice a day and i have dropped 2 kgs. Yes i still drink coke because im addicted and have been for years no i dont have health problems besides the stomach aches but the whole theory on diet coke does does that is the same with everything else.People will also say oh if u drink water u will lose weight faster or or its better for you .I hardly drink water and i am still manging to lose weight.I exersice maybe 3 or 4 times a week just doing a simple walk.Eeveryone has there own ways not everyone has the same habbits and you cant change someone with what they do.Think about those people in the poor countrys with no food and water right they are all skinny arnt they? they dont eat 6 times a day like everyone claims u need to do in order to lose weight .Im sorry but this really anoys me and i have been through it all.I was a very small girl 5 years ago before my kids im still small and only have about 5 kg left to lose but everyone thinks because i dont eat im unhealthy? i dont even veggies and guess what im healthy.IF anyone had there way EVERYTHING is bad for you and everything is UNHEALTHY if i go buy a frozen meal 99% fat free someone will say to me oh its high in satruated fat ok so would u rather me eat dirt instead? Alot of people will say eat breaky so u can function during the day and have energy i have eaten breaky in months and im doing great.So as u can see everyones diffrent.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

That's just it, though, concentration. There is more aspartic acid in a 4 ounce piece of chicken breast than you would get drinking an entire 12 pack of diet soda. 4 ounces of chicken breast contains 3.1 grams of aspartic acid (3,096 mg) and a 12 pack of diet soda contains about 1.2 grams of aspartic acid, if my math is correct (one can is about 200 mg of aspartame, aspartame from what i've read is 50/50 aspartic acid/phenylalanine, so 100 mg aspartic acid per can or 0.1 grams,) so wouldn't this make eating chicken, or beef, or tofu, or nuts, beans, really any protein source more toxic than drinking diet soda? They all have a much higher concentration per serving of aspartic acid.
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I loved diet soda, I preferred the flavor to regular and I loved the fizz. I would get it when my fiancé and I would get take out and some weeks that was everyday, others I would only have one or two a month. I wanted to kick it all together and focus on mainly drinking water simply because when I drink 16 cups of water a day I feel great and much slimmer. I switched to flavored Italian sparkling mineral water from Whole Foods, it's delicious and satisfies my fizz addiction :smile: I do notice that when I don't have diet soda or alcohol during the week that I lose weight easier and definitely feel less puffy. Also, after switching to fizzy water and trying a diet soda while out to lunch one day, it was terrible and I haven't had one since. Good for you, bad for you, who knows but it makes me feel a little healthier giving up the diet soda, my wine, beer or mixed drinks on the weekends however, I will not give up :drinker: I will shoot for moderation though.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Basically this found that people who drank diet soda had other unhealthy behaviors. I think people do this because they justify eating more because they had a zero calorie drink.

Since we're all on MFP keeping track of our habits anyway, I think it's safe to say we're doing just fine.

I drink diet coke in my vodka when I go out, quite simply because normal coke is too sweet.
  • LabRat529
    Options
    I am working on the aspartic acid-brain questions. For kicks and giggles, I thought I'd share this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19860889

So drink your aspartame, boys. It's good for you ;)