Best exercises to lose fat? (Please!!!!!!!)

Options
Ok. I just wanna make sure my thinking is right. Cardio gets rid of fat. Weight training builds muscle which can burn more calories. Ideally, a mix of the two is the best.

I'm in the middle of the Shred, 6 days a week. Before that, I had been exercising (usually circuit training videos or elliptical) 3-4 times a week. I've been eating my exercise calories. I have a Polar Ft4 hrm. Weight loss was pretty well stalling out which was disconcerting because I'm only halfway to healthy. I decided to up my calories a bit and change my goal to 1 lb a week. Lost a lb and then this week I gained half a pound. I know it's water weight but it still sucks because I've been at this for 5 months and I'm only half way there and I thought I was following the rules.

So, question, should I up the cardio and stop focusing on strength? I mainly do exercise DVDs because that's what I have. I would eventually love to be able to lift heavy but until I can by a gym membership or a weight bench, I've got to use the Wii and the public library.

If you've been in the situation before, tell me how you got through it. I'm grasping at straws here. Diary is open.

Replies

• ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I always think the best exercise we do is the one we DO!
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Cycling worked for me, down 5 stone
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

So, question, should I up the cardio and stop focusing on strength?

Absolutely not. That is probably the worst thing you could do. All that would do would increase muscle loss, slow metabolism, and create an undesirable effect on your body composition.

Strength training is very important
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    you should start strength training. start last week if possible.
  • sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I've heard interval training is a great way to burn fat. maybe you should give that a try. I would not give up strength training if I were you though! Keep at it. Good luck! :)
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I'm concentrating on strength and doing a little cardio with pleasing results. Muscle mass is important.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    No, cardio doesn't get rid of fat. A calorie deficit creates weight loss. However this weight loss is often a mix of fat AND muscle. Strength training and adequate protein intake minimizes muscle loss as much as possible. It won't build very much muscle while you are dieting but it might build some if you are new to it. Cardio is a tool by which you can increase your calorie deficit while eating more food.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Keep doing them both.

http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/WT&End.html

Wayne Westcott, Ph.D. conducted a study in which 72 over weight individuals participated in an eight week exercise program. The participants were placed in two groups. The first group performed 30 minutes of endurance exercise on a stationary cycle. The second group performed only 15 minutes of exercise on the stationary cycle plus an additional 15 minutes on weight resistant exercises. At the conclusion of the study, the "endurance only" group lost a total of 3.5 lbs.; 3 lbs. of which was fat and a half pound was muscle loss. On the other hand, the "endurance and weight resistive" group lost 8 lbs. with an actual fat loss of 10 lbs. and an increase of 2 lbs. of lean body weight.
  • figurekat
    figurekat Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    To be honest a combination is best. Weight training when done properly will increase your metabolism and burn more calories overall. The only calories youburn with cardio are the ones DURING your exercise with the exception of HIIT (High intensity interval training). A good combination would be 30-45 minutes of strength training 3-4 times a week followed by 20-30 minutes of HIIT cardio (an RPE of 9-10 for 30-60 seconds followed by 60-90 seconds of recovery at about an RPE of 4 repeated). If you can't afford a gym membership, I highly suggest resistance bands. Bodylastics makes a great product you can get on amazon for cheap, and you can approximate almost any move you can do with weights or cable machines.
    Options
    Exactly what Rae said.

Also yes gaining muscle mass can be achieved by strength training. But that includes heavy lifting. 30 day shred is not heavy lifting
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Firstly, I had a quick look at your food diary for the last week or so - good job. You seem to be sticking to your cals, but varying the amounts a little so you're not eating the same thing every day (good for sanity :tongue: )

I completely understand the frustration with not losing the weight, but really all I can say is that every person is different and my main piece of advice is to concentrate 10X harder on the process than you do on the result. You know that when all is said and done, a good diet that is at a caloric deficit and has mostly good wholesome foods is the right thing to do, and you know that regular exercise is the right thing to do. In my opinion keep at it- you know in time it will work. Maybe not as quickl.y as you would like, but it will work!

My personal story, I tend to lose 3-4 lbs at a time, then plateau for up to three weeks without losing a thing, then lose again etc etc. Most recently I had gone for over three weeks with a 1lb net gain. So frustrating... then for some unknown reason the fatloss fairy decided to pay a visit, and the scales went down by 7lbs in 2 weeks.

I hope that is some consolation for you, or at the very least some affirmation that you are doing the right things, and to just be confident in yourself, and patient for the results. :flowerforyou:
  • MinaAriel
    MinaAriel Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    To be honest a combination is best. Weight training when done properly will increase your metabolism and burn more calories overall. The only calories youburn with cardio are the ones DURING your exercise with the exception of HIIT (High intensity interval training). A good combination would be 30-45 minutes of strength training 3-4 times a week followed by 20-30 minutes of HIIT cardio (an RPE of 9-10 for 30-60 seconds followed by 60-90 seconds of recovery at about an RPE of 4 repeated). If you can't afford a gym membership, I highly suggest resistance bands. Bodylastics makes a great product you can get on amazon for cheap, and you can approximate almost any move you can do with weights or cable machines.

Is there an HIIT video out there so I know what I'm supposed to be doing? I'm not sure what RPE is but I'll look it up. I like the idea of resistance bands. Any particular program you would suggest that I use so I may learn how to use them correctly?
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Firstly, I had a quick look at your food diary for the last week or so - good job. You seem to be sticking to your cals, but varying the amounts a little so you're not eating the same thing every day (good for sanity :tongue: )

I completely understand the frustration with not losing the weight, but really all I can say is that every person is different and my main piece of advice is to concentrate 10X harder on the process than you do on the result. You know that when all is said and done, a good diet that is at a caloric deficit and has mostly good wholesome foods is the right thing to do, and you know that regular exercise is the right thing to do. In my opinion keep at it- you know in time it will work. Maybe not as quickl.y as you would like, but it will work!

My personal story, I tend to lose 3-4 lbs at a time, then plateau for up to three weeks without losing a thing, then lose again etc etc. Most recently I had gone for over three weeks with a 1lb net gain. So frustrating... then for some unknown reason the fatloss fairy decided to pay a visit, and the scales went down by 7lbs in 2 weeks.

I hope that is some consolation for you, or at the very least some affirmation that you are doing the right things, and to just be confident in yourself, and patient for the results. :flowerforyou:

"I tend to lose 3-4 lbs at a time, then plateau for up to three weeks without losing a thing, then lose again etc etc"

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/fawnia3.htm

Works well for me
  • figurekat
    Options
    Exactly what Rae said.

Also yes gaining muscle mass can be achieved by strength training. But that includes heavy lifting. 30 day shred is not heavy lifting

it's also HARD work for every ounce of muscle gained and you very rarely can achieve that working at a defecit.
  • MinaAriel
    Options

Thank you so very much for your thoughtful reply. I will try to be patient, dig a bit deeper, and maybe look into resistance bands as a way to vary my workout after the Shred. :flowerforyou:
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    think of resistance bands and not just lifting weights. I've heard great suff about them- mainly as effective or more so than weight lfiting because YOU DO IT.
    Options
    Exactly what Rae said.

it's also HARD work for every ounce of muscle gained and you very rarely can achieve that working at a defecit.

Yup ^^ thank you for adding that. Some newbies gain muscle while in a deficit, but that is still minimal
    I bust my *kitten* at the gym but am not gaining mass because I am in a deficit
  • MinaAriel
    Options
    Exactly what Rae said.

Yup ^^ thank you for adding that. Some newbies gain muscle while in a deficit, but that is still minimal

I am planning on getting the New Rules of Lifting for Women here in the near future in preparation of joining a gym in Spring. I would really like to learn to do the free weights and be stronger. However, I have a couple of months until that can happen and in the meantime I would like to get rid of some of the fat so it will be easier to spot the muscle when I use it. LOL
  • figurekat
    Options
    Exactly what Rae said.

I am planning on getting the New Rules of Lifting for Women here in the near future in preparation of joining a gym in Spring. I would really like to learn to do the free weights and be stronger. However, I have a couple of months until that can happen and in the meantime I would like to get rid of some of the fat so it will be easier to spot the muscle when I use it. LOL

It's a good book to start with. Just don't be afraid. I used to be so afraid of the gym, of the free weights...I felt so out of place. Once I did overcome that I learned to enjoy myself, and now lifting, and lifting heavy, is the highlight of my day. Oxygen Magazine and Muscle and Fitness hers are also good places to start as both break it down and explain what your'e doing and why. As a matter of fact Oxygen is also big on doing "at home" programs for those who can't afford gym memberships andmake good use of both dumbells and resistance bands. Worth checking out for sure.
  • rajivdubey
    rajivdubey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Cycling worked wonders for me! I burnt huge calories and lost huge body fat too.