Gas Prices?!?!

Options
whitneyrsmith
whitneyrsmith Posts: 37 Member
Is now $3.75 today, has been climbing everyday.

In Midland/Odessa, TX; in the heart of the oilfield.

Replies

• jenny031477
    jenny031477 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have to put premium in my stupid car so I'm paying about $3.89/gallon and I know it's just going to continue to go up.
  • whitneyrsmith
    whitneyrsmith Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have to put premium in my stupid car so I'm paying about $3.89/gallon and I know it's just going to continue to go up.

Bummer! They say it should hit like $4 or $5 a gallon this summer. I was thinking a bike would both be benefical for health and money, haha. I really dislike my SUV now!
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I'm in San Diego and I am pretty sure last time we got gas it was like $3.95 :cry:
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options

Bummer! They say it should hit like $4 or $5 a gallon this summer. I was thinking a bike would both be benefical for health and money, haha. I really dislike my SUV now!

I ride a motorcycle to help keep fuel costs down. I also have a bicycle, so if it gets bad enough, I'll be riding my bicycle a lot more too. My truck (V8) is 11 years old and only has 48,000 miles on it because of fuel prices. I've got a 280Z, but it barely gets to 20MPG.

JM
  • Guys I live in the UK where we recently changed from Gallons to Litres when measuring fuel.

One Gallon = about 4.5 Litres

1 Litre of petrol in the UK costs about £1.09... Or $1.72 in USD.

That means a gallon of "gas" at UK prices would cost you around $7.74

Thank your lucky stars and stripes for what you pay!
  • brenteesha
    Options
    I know, isn't it insane?! In Michigan, it was around $3.30 towards the end of last week, and I just saw on the news last night that it's now in the $3.50s. They said it could get up to $4.50 by summertime!! Crazy...
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Guys I live in the UK where we recently changed from Gallons to Litres when measuring fuel.

How much of that is taxes?
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    yep....i'm going to be investing in a bike this summer. lol
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Guys I live in the UK where we recently changed from Gallons to Litres when measuring fuel.

Petrol at £1.09? Are you buying it on the black market?

...and people wonder why I prefer to cycle to work - £2500-£3000 saved last year
  • darls25
    darls25 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Not too bad here in southern Idaho, last night it was $3.21. There really is no reason why the gas keep climbing either :/ But what are ya gonna do...
  • mrsjenfrank
    mrsjenfrank Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    We're paying approx $1.16/litre for gas in Saskatchewan. My husbands SUV usually takes around $100 every week and a half to fill. He went on Sunday down to Montana for a day trip with our friends and was down half a tank and it only cost him $25! Here it would have been $50! And we have an oil refinery in our city. What gives, seriously! I joked and told him it was almost worth the 2 hr drive across the border. LOL
  • dubw
    dubw Posts: 429
    Options
    $3.69 at 9a today in coastal NC
  • jenny031477
    jenny031477 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I wish I could invest in a bike for transportation. My commute, to and from work, is 28 miles each way, on the interstate. No way can I ride a bike. also, I'm a single mom so it's not very practical for getting the kids around.

I'm hoping to trade my car in on a hyundai that gets around 40mpg and takes regular unleaded. That will be an improvement over my 18mpg and premium gas.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    $3.65 in central IL
  • drmerc
    Options
    Not too bad here in southern Idaho, last night it was $3.21. There really is no reason why the gas keep climbing either :/ But what are ya gonna do...

Actually there is, economists call it supply and demand (and taxes)
  • jheath123
    Options
    Rich folks like the Koch brothers manipulate the prices. A tanker full will sit in international waters until the price is right. There's no shortage or high price because of the situations in the middle east, its all about the billions. Bankers making 40 cents per gallon and gas station owners profiting 40 cents a gallon. There's nearly a dollar right there.
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    You people are lucky! On this end of Canada (province of New Brunswick) it is $5.20 per Canadian gallon. Oh well, with the free health care I guess it balances out. These extra taxes in the gas help pay for it. Still D-OH! $5.20!!!
  • DL121004
    DL121004 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I wish I could invest in a bike for transportation. My commute, to and from work, is 28 miles each way, on the interstate. No way can I ride a bike. also, I'm a single mom so it's not very practical for getting the kids around.

I'm hoping to trade my car in on a hyundai that gets around 40mpg and takes regular unleaded. That will be an improvement over my 18mpg and premium gas.

I understand the single mom issue, but just a thought: I know some folks who partially commute to work. What they do is map out a decent commute (both in length and road conditions), and then drive there with the bike, then cycle in from that point.

Another strategy is to alternate drive/cycle. For example, drive to work with the bike on the car, then cycle home. Next day, cycle in and drive home.

Just some thoughts. Again, I recognize the challenges of being a single mom...
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I heard a funny discussion about the gas prices on the TV the other day. They were commenting that when gas hit $3 a gallon everyone was up in arms and blaming Bush and saying he had to do something about it. Why aren't we blaming Obama for this mess that we're in? All's fair....
  • drmerc
    Options
    You people are lucky! On this end of Canada (province of New Brunswick) it is $5.20 per Canadian gallon. Oh well, with the free health care I guess it balances out. These extra taxes in the gas help pay for it. Still D-OH! $5.20!!!

so its free AND you pay for it?
    You have a funny definition of free