Options

Replies

• fabulousby45
    Options
    Which came first? The chicken or the egg?? :laugh:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Egg whites are good, yolks have some good in them too, but the bad makes it not worth it.

I've been eating 3 boiled eggs and a hand full of celery stalks for weekday lunch (at work) for the last couple years, chucking the yolk every time (and not worrying if little pieces of it remained). I work out during lunch--mostly weight training--and eat them after the workout. Been doing yearly cholesterol checks, and there isn't a difference in my before-eggs and after-eggs periods.

I started eating the eggs in earnest a couple years ago after reading an article about it. For a month I ate a tonn of eggs, like 12-15 a day, basically every time I'd feel hungry I'd eat one or two (WHITES only btw, no yolk). Lost 10 pounds fast, then it plateaud (plus my focus on the "an-egg-for-hunger-diet" dissipated).

Now that I started MFP calorie counting, I love how small the numeric impact is compared to how "not-hungry" I feel when eating my daily 3x boiled eggs minus yolk. I'm convinced that the key to long term success is finding other foods/groups that have low calorific/high I-feel-like-i-ate-a-bunch foods :) Eggs fit the bill perfectly, especially if you skip the yolk.

What is the Bad part you refer to in the yolk?
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options

The yolk-less chicken :)

Newbie question of the day: How do y'all make your ticker appear in your posts?
  • kschmi24
    kschmi24 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I can't do just egg whites (gross, in my opinion) so I'll mix 2 or 3 whites in with one whole egg.

Good and bad are kind of subjective in the case of the egg. Someone who is looking for the omega 3's and a high punch of protein in a food would say "great! eggs are good for you". And then perhaps someone who is watching their cholesterol or is avoiding things that are higher in fats would say "no no no, stay away from eggs". I really depends on your own nutritional needs and goals, I think. Try the mixing with egg beaters or egg whites thing, try poached eggs or hard boiled eggs. No need to blame the egg for the way it is cooked if you use oil and butter.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

i-think-i-did-chicken-or-egg-came-first-tshirt.jpg
  • boston6
    boston6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I say eggs are GOOD.
  • SirZee
    Options
    Egg whites are good, yolks have some good in them too, but the bad makes it not worth it.

I've been eating 3 boiled eggs and a hand full of celery stalks for weekday lunch (at work) for the last couple years, chucking the yolk every time (and not worrying if little pieces of it remained). I work out during lunch--mostly weight training--and eat them after the workout. Been doing yearly cholesterol checks, and there isn't a difference in my before-eggs and after-eggs periods.

I started eating the eggs in earnest a couple years ago after reading an article about it. For a month I ate a tonn of eggs, like 12-15 a day, basically every time I'd feel hungry I'd eat one or two (WHITES only btw, no yolk). Lost 10 pounds fast, then it plateaud (plus my focus on the "an-egg-for-hunger-diet" dissipated).

Now that I started MFP calorie counting, I love how small the numeric impact is compared to how "not-hungry" I feel when eating my daily 3x boiled eggs minus yolk. I'm convinced that the key to long term success is finding other foods/groups that have low calorific/high I-feel-like-i-ate-a-bunch foods :) Eggs fit the bill perfectly, especially if you skip the yolk.

Ok, I'll use your chart for your convenience:

- calories, 55
    - Total fat, 4.5g
    - cholesterol 184mg
  • zincalloy
    Options
    Eggs are incredibly good for you.

You can eat as many as you like (calorie allowing).

Full of goodness and tasty with it.
  • spatters77
    Options
    Eggs are good, just high in calories.

Not sure what your idea of high in calories is, but one egg is about 70 calories.

I personally love eggs and think they are good for you. My favorite way is to poach a couple of eggs and then put them on top of a slice of wheat bread or wheat flat bread.
  • SirZee
    Options
    One more thing,

While it is admirable that people make an effort to substantiate claims in a post with a reference, please don't undermine the process by linking a conflict of interest website. When the name of the website is "incredibleegg" and is owned by the American Egg Board, there is a very obvious bias that is not going to do much in terms of scientific substantiation of a claim.

Here is a short article on "egg yolk" from the Mayo Clinic (foreign heads of state pay through the nose to come to it to get themselves treated, that should give a heads up on where it fits as a medical institution):

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/HQ00608
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

i-think-i-did-chicken-or-egg-came-first-tshirt.jpg

OMG! SCREAMING with laughter at this!
  • mmapags
    Options

Ok, I'll use your chart for your convenience:

- calories, 55
    - Total fat, 4.5g
    - cholesterol 184mg

Well first, your assumption is that fat is bad and that is not true. Fat does not make you fat, nor, based on credible research as I refered to in an earlier post, does dietary cholesterol ahve any relationship to serum cholesterol.

Secondly, if you are going to use the chart give the whole story:
    Whole Egg Egg White
    Vitamin B12 .45 mg ..03
    Folate 24 mg 1 mg
    Vitamin D 41 mg 0
    Vitamin A 270 mg 0
    Vitamin B6 .09 mg 0
    Vitamin E .05 mg 0
    Selenium 15.4 mg 6.6 mg
    Phosphorus 99 mg 5 mg
    Iron .88 mg .03 mg
    zinc .65 mg .01 mg
    Calcium 28 mg 2 mg

A little different than how you misrepresented it. You want the lower calories of an egg white and are willing to sacrifice the rest of the nutrition, help yourself. I'll take all the goodness of the whole food and save on calories elsewhere.

Ps: sorry I cannot get this to format very well.
  • mmapags
    Options
    One more thing,

While it is admirable that people make an effort to substantiate claims in a post with a reference, please don't undermine the process by linking a conflict of interest website. When the name of the website is "incredibleegg" and is owned by the American Egg Board, there is a very obvious bias that is not going to do much in terms of scientific substantiation of a claim.

Here is a short article on "egg yolk" from the Mayo Clinic (foreign heads of state pay through the nose to come to it to get themselves treated, that should give a heads up on where it fits as a medical institution):

While that chart was on the egg association site it is from the USDA as you could easily see at the bottom of the reference chart on the page. Source: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, 2010. USDA National Nutrient Database

Also, I'd love to see the research this doctor on the Mayo Clinic bases his research on. He does not reference any and as I've already stated, the longest running study on coronary heath, The Framingham Heart Study, which has been in existence since 1946 and is still ongoing, shows no connection to dietary cholesterol and serum cholesterol. You of course are free to beleive whatever you choose whether based in facts or not.
  • MizCJ84
    MizCJ84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    One more thing,

Thank you for posting this. People jumped down my throat when I wrote about skipping on the "yucky yolk." It was just my personal opinion, and I've read plenty of research to substantiate claims against eating so many egg yolks. Don't get me wrong, I think one or two whole eggs per day is perfectly fine and they can offer some nutritional benefits. I choose not to eat very many egg yolks because, based on research I have done, I believe the bad outweighs the good in high doses.

I would also like to agree that posting a website link directly to the "incredibleegg" site is only going to get us to a page full of bias information. If you would like to prove a point, then please post an unbiased and credible source. I'm all for learning new things about health, but not from biased sources.
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
  • Joannie1987
    Joannie1987 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Oooh they best be good I eat them quite a lot! Ahh!
  • mmapags
    Options
    One more thing,

Thank you for posting this. People jumped down my throat when I wrote about skipping on the "yucky yolk." It was just my personal opinion, and I've read plenty of research to substantiate claims against eating so many egg yolks. Don't get me wrong, I think one or two whole eggs per day is perfectly fine and they can offer some nutritional benefits. I choose not to eat very many egg yolks because, based on research I have done, I believe the bad outweighs the good in high doses.

I would also like to agree that posting a website link directly to the "incredibleegg" site is only going to get us to a page full of bias information. If you would like to prove a point, then please post an unbiased and credible source. I'm all for learning new things about health, but not from biased sources.

Apparently you missed the part about the chart, while being posted to the egg council site, is actually a USDA chart?
    Source: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, 2010. USDA National Nutrient Database

On the website this is identified clearly at the bottom of the chart. I guess you consider, as does the person you quoted, the USDA baised in favor of eggs??
  • MizCJ84
    MizCJ84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    One more thing,

Apparently you missed the part about the chart, while being posted to the egg council site, is actually a USDA chart?
    Source: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, 2010. USDA National Nutrient Database

On the website this is identified clearly at the bottom of the chart. I guess you consider, as does the person you quoted, the USDA baised in favor of eggs??

I apologize, I must have missed your chart. You don't have to get upset with me, I just I always thought it was best to not eat more than 2 egg yolks per day. I'm not really worried about the cholesterol because I know that is a myth, but the fat can add up pretty fast. I like to get fat from other sources throughout the day like olive oil and nuts, not from a few eggs. Do you know if there is a recommendation on how many eggs per day one can consume? Maybe I've been wrong on this, and I'm wondering if there is a limit.
  • mmapags
    Options
    One more thing,

I apologize, I must have missed your chart. You don't have to get upset with me, I just I always thought it was best to not eat more than 2 egg yolks per day. I'm not really worried about the cholesterol because I know that is a myth, but the fat can add up pretty fast. I like to get fat from other sources throughout the day like olive oil and nuts, not from a few eggs. Do you know if there is a recommendation on how many eggs per day one can consume? Maybe I've been wrong on this, and I'm wondering if there is a limit.

From what I've read, as many as five servings a week of 2 eggs at time is fine. Managing your fats/ calories is fine. What bugs me is when a food or part of a food is demonized and it is not based in fact. I'm not upset at all with you personally. I don't really know you and if I met you I'd probably really like you.

You are correct that 2 whole eggs per day is probably fine. The "Conventional Wisdom" is that is too much. I don't buy it. As you said the whole cholesterol thing has been so blown out of proportion without fact. In an article on The Framingham Heart Study, the doctor who was in charge of the study some years ago even espoused the fact that there had to be some dietary connection even though his own study for over 40 years at the time said differently. So no hard feelings and I hope I didn't create any. I do get a little passionate about the whole nutrition thing as it is part of my life work. And I enjoy a vigorous debate!:wink: