Would You?

Options

Replies

• polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend would not. He claims it's the kiss of death in relationships.
    He speaks the troof!

This ^^^
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I do not think they should be tattoos..kids is one thing...but SO..no way!. We have a symbol to represent each other..but no names..
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Serioulsy but in a jokingly way I think ....I once had a crazy ex girl friend that I was dating ask me to get a tattoo of her phone number on my johnson. She said she wanted it to say if you see this then call this number. And here I thought maybe she didnt like me.. :bigsmile:
  • salberic
    Options
    Depending on how long you have been together? I saw an episode of NY ink and for an anniversary gift the husband got a portrait of his wife. Do it as a gift later on down the road for a big anniversary or birthday! 25 years of marriage, 30 years of marriage, 50th birthday. Just suggestions. Hope this helps!

Usually it is a death sentence for relationships that are early on.
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    nope bad carma
  • Shock_Wave
    Options
    Depending on how long you have been together? I saw an episode of NY ink and for an anniversary gift the husband got a portrait of his wife. Do it as a gift later on down the road for a big anniversary or birthday! 25 years of marriage, 30 years of marriage, 50th birthday. Just suggestions. Hope this helps!

The real question is was that tat of her when she was young or old? :)
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Personally I think tattooing someone's name on yourself is tacky. One of the high schools I attended, I saw a lot of the other students with names all up and down their arms. Some were boyfriends/girlfriends, some were their kids, some were their OWN names or nicknames, and some were the "In Loving Memory Of" ones. There's a woman I know who came to me one day and was looking for a good parlor (I have a tattoo of my own, it's just barely a year old) because she wanted the name of her youngest son tattooed on the inside of her arm. This would have been her first tattoo and she has 3 other kids, to me that's playing favorites.

Tattoos are art and I think they ought to be creative even if the purpose is just because it's pretty. If you really love someone then get a tattoo that will remind you of them or something you share in your relationship. Or hell just do something not so permanent. For an anniversary last year I had personalized dog tags made for my boyfriend and I, because he had been in the military, and his had his nickname, mine has mine but the backs both say the same thing.

Personal feelings aside I think some tattoo artists will give you a lecture about names if they're your SO, I know a few of them here do because while it's not technically permanent, the removal process cost twice as much and can leave a scar in the shape of it. But, y'know, all the same, it's that person's body and their money. However, I do think it should be discussed with that person whose name they want on their skin because if your girl or guy feels uncomfortable about it or wherever you decide to get it (I've seen names in weird places...) then it can really be a deal breaker. Some people wouldn't be comfortable with that type of commitment display.
  • saragato
    Options

The real question is was that tat of her when she was young or old? :)

It was the wife as she was at current, the artist took a picture of her in the parlor then drew it from that. In short, when she was old. The couple in question are from a show called Cake Boss and they are very committed to one another and have been together for a long time.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    My Chinese ex boyfriend and I were walking around one day and saw a lady with her hair pulled back and his name first name tattooed on the back of her neck.

It was supposed to mean, "hope" or something lol. I thought it looked pretty legit, so would not be opposed after marriage because it would still look cool.

One advantage to dating people who use Chinese characters for their names haha.
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Hell no, not unless I died and it was a memory tattoo.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I have my husband's zodiac symbol tattooed on my inner right ankle. Mine is on my inner left. He's my balance. I got it after we were married for a year. He didn't care. :)
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I wanted a tattoo to symbolise my hubby because of what he had done for me, however, no way was going to get his name permantently marked into my body. I'm not nuts. Lol. I had his star sign tattooed instead. I have mine done on my lower back (not a tramp stamp) and his on my right, outer ankle (I have also got my fathers, mothers and sisters star symbols tattooed on the top of my back down the spine, small in comparison).
  • saragato
    Options
    I think it's awful how many people here say that it's just a relationship and relationships don't last forever lol I married my husband because I love him... and I will love him forever. I do NOT have his name tattooed on my body, and I won't do it -- But NOT because I don't see it working out!!!! HE does have my name tattooed over his heart. He got it 7 years ago. It was not the kiss of death for us.

It's called being real. Any relationship, no matter how good, can end for one reason or another even with the commitment of marriage. If someone breaks up with you or divorces you, you don't keep mementos of them in your house, do you? That's basically what the tattoo is and it's harder and more painful to get rid of than any other reminder. It doesn't necessarily spell doom for a relationship, but it's not anything to be taken lightly either. I've known guys barely in their twenties who are covered with girls' names because they jump into relationships and think this girl's the one, or even sometimes they're PRESSURED into getting the tattoo, and then for whatever reason it ends and they're stuck with it.

Tattoos can easily be used stupidly or carelessly. Doesn't mean they always are or that names are a bad thing, it's just sometimes people jump the gun as they might in the relationship itself. It's nothing to be offended about, you're obviously happily married and there's no problem stemming from ink on your man. That and these are all opinions of strangers on the internet, take it all with a grain of salt.
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt do a name... But my SO and I have been toying with the idea of getting a matching tattoo... I want birds on my shoulder and he wants a sleve, so were were going to have the same exact bird somewhere in our tattoos. :)

That way if we break up its just....a bird.
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    The only names that would ever appear on my body are the ones of the 2 kiddos that came from my body :wink:
  • Shock_Wave
    Options
    Personally I think tattooing someone's name on yourself is tacky.

I think your hat is tacky but if you like it then to each their own. Personally I would like to see you tat that tacky hat on your head now wouldnt that be some thing. :laugh:
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I would be flattered if ANYONE got my name tattoo'd on their body:laugh:

Unless it was the strange man with the baggy trousers and missing teeth who talks to himself at the bus stop:noway:
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I think it's awful how many people here say that it's just a relationship and relationships don't last forever lol I married my husband because I love him... and I will love him forever. I do NOT have his name tattooed on my body, and I won't do it -- But NOT because I don't see it working out!!!! HE does have my name tattooed over his heart. He got it 7 years ago. It was not the kiss of death for us.

Finally, someone who thinks like me lol
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    That would put too much pressure on me and scare me off having the opposite reaction it was supposed to.
  • zincalloy
    Options
    It's quite sad how many people get married when they obviously don't love their partners as much as they should.
    All you doubters really shouldn't be married.

As for those claiming it 'usually' ends up the kiss of death for a relationship, really? Do you know what the word 'usually' means?

Just because a few of you know some silly people who got unlucky doesn't account for the many tens of thousands of people who have their partners name tattooed on them and are very stable and very happy.

Not all of us live on trailer parks.