Do you "eat" calories burned during exercise?

Options
I have ramped up my cardio these past few weeks and some days, I have constant hunger. I do not like to feel hungry because I don't make the best decisions when my tummy is growling. I prefer to eat 5 to 6 small meals a day so that my blood sugar stays steady and I also don't feel deprived. But with some of my long distance training runs (10+ miles this past Sunday), I'm famished the entire next day.

So..... do you "EAT" your calories that you burned during your work outs?

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    You might want to try using the search function. There is literally about 10 posts about this same topic EVERY day.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

Abso-f**ing-lutely
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Tattoos_and_Tea Posts: 529 Member
    Options

Abso-f**ing-lutely

LOL!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

Abso-f**ing-lutely

That! Hell, it's my biggest motivation to exercise LOL. I try to stay 50 to 100 calories under actually. I usually burn about 400 in a workout so eat back *most* of them.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Technically yes, but I don't try to estimate calories burned and "eat them back" as MFP recommends. I just keep calories and activity consistent, monitor my progress, and make adjustments as needed.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Yes. Most of them, anyway. I've got my calorie goal set at 1700 to begin with, so I don't necessarily add back ALL of them - I just try to make sure my net at the end of the day is somewhere close to or over 1700 most days. (BMR is about 1650)
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    You might want to try using the search function. There is literally about 10 posts about this same topic EVERY day.
    I actually got a warning from a mod for telling someone to use the search function.
    I thought I was helping them. Apparently not the case.
  • ninakir88
    ninakir88 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    if im feeling hungry..
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Technically yes, but I don't try to estimate calories burned and "eat them back" as MFP recommends. I just keep calories and activity consistent, monitor my progress, and make adjustments as needed.

This is also a completely valid approach, and a lot of my knowledgeable friends do this. But they get their calorie goals from sources other than MFP. If you use MFP's numbers you are supposed to eat them. I like doing it MFPs way because I'd never ever do cardio if I didn't think of it as a way to eat more food.
  • mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Not always, no. NUT, my calorie allowance is 2100 to begin with. I rack up a lot of exercise calories as well. The only days I eat over 2100 is leg days or if I am feeling especially hungry/tired from that day's work out. Most days, I stay under 2000.

That said, if your calorie allowance is under 1500, I would recommend eating back at least half your exercise.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I eat some exercise calories, if I am hungry for them.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Yes, I eat most of my exercise calories daily. As close to what MFP wants me to eat as possible.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I actually got a warning from a mod for telling someone to use the search function.

Seriously?!?!? Hmm...wow!

http://www.shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/ <<<<will probably get me into trouble then, eh?
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    And if you're running 10 miles you DEFINATELY need to eat more than your BMR. Your body is starving that's why your so hungry.
  • mrschappet
    mrschappet Posts: 488 Member
    Options

Thats because it comes across very rude and unhelpful.. people post for "live" and current feedback. its nice to bounce ideas off people ya know :-)
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

Seriously?!?!? Hmm...wow!

http://www.shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/ <<<<will probably get me into trouble then, eh?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    excercise for 1000.
    record it as 700
    eat 350

just to avoid error
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I try to net my BMR... Sometimes I'll go a little under in case mfp overestimated the calories I burned. I don't have an HRM.
  • mrschappet
    mrschappet Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I have ramped up my cardio these past few weeks and some days, I have constant hunger. I do not like to feel hungry because I don't make the best decisions when my tummy is growling. I prefer to eat 5 to 6 small meals a day so that my blood sugar stays steady and I also don't feel deprived. But with some of my long distance training runs (10+ miles this past Sunday), I'm famished the entire next day.

Yes I eat back my calories burned.. or at least half. Its important to keep your body fueled with the proper amount of nutrients so that you are able to keep up with your exercise routines :-) ( I am another one of those who exercises to eat LMAO)
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Hell yes I do!! At least the great majority of them, since it is an estimate. But especially on long run days that like that, I make sure I fuel my body!