Trouble with running, is it just a mental thing?

Options
124»

Replies

• froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I've personally never liked running. It seems I can never get enough air, and end up having a cough for a week.
    But then I was always told to run this distance, and be back in under ... minutes.
    I now started the couch to 5 k program. Yay, I went out once so far, but I am feeling positive about it. It appears to be teaching me to breathe and to portion my energy. It's also nice to do this for myself, not under any pressure.
    I use the runkeeper app on my iPhone. It uses gps to track the route, times the intervals (which are adjustable), and starts my music too. Way convenient, and if the predicted snow storm tomorrow isn't too bad, I'll try and get on the trail again.
    Oh and it's way easier with music :)
  • scott1080
    scott1080 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    i know for me its all mental i do great when i run with someone but by myself i just cant push myself
  • alaska11
    alaska11 Posts: 151
    Options
    A lot of good advice here!
  • amyotte1992
    amyotte1992 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    When I first began, I hated running so much because it was real difficult for me and I wanted to quit so soon. After I lost about fifteen pounds running was so much easier for me and i enjoyed it.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Like anything it takes practice. Since you haven't ran before, I suggest googling a C25k program. It uses walk/run intervals to help you build stamina. You have to begin somewhere. So start there.

I started it last year and stopped around week 5 because I had trouble running more than 5 minutes. Perhaps starting it over again and being consistent will work in my favor.

I think giving it another go would be good. I did C25K last year and bombed out around week 5, AND I had to repeat week 2 like 5 times! I just started back up and I'm on my way to week 3 this weekend, and its been way easier the 2nd time around so far.
  • danascot
    danascot Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice here.....i think starting slow is key as well as acknowledging it is really a mental game. Start out with a small goal...I'll run to that stop sign, then to the next, etc, etc. and before you know it you've gone 10 minutes! Just keeping telling yourself you will not stop. I am talking to myself most of the time when I run - I need the extra motivation sometimes.

Best of luck!
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I used to be a terrible runner also. I remember in high school being picked last or second to last for the relay teams or any running type of activities. My side would hurt and I could barely run a minute without stopping. The past year I started doing 5Ks, a 10K and a half marathon. I think that after I gained my confidence with my changes in my body and mind, I started thinking differently and now I enjoy running and run at a pace I never thought I would.

I started slow also. I would run for .5 K then walk .5 K and take it from there :) You can do it :)!