What do you give up for Lent?

Options
I was just wondering if any of you did anything to prepare for Easter. Last year I gave up coffee drinks and chocolate during lent….that is when I lost 10lbs. I was able to keep it off for a couple months then went back to eating 3-4000cal a day. Yikes!!!

Needless to say I gained it all back. I am hoping this year will be different and this will be a kick start for me...... Would love to hear what others give up for lent.

Replies

• terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    This year I have decided to give up Lent for Lent.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Nothing here...
  • gooiyw
    gooiyw Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi. A friend suggested that I join her in abstaining from meat and poultry and stick to fish and veges. I don't know about that because I've found that red meat especially seem to increase my stamina in my workouts. So... maybe alcohol? Yikes! There, I've said it. Goodbye, wine.
  • bjwbmw
    bjwbmw Posts: 55
    Options
    soda - regular and diet
  • TheYoungRetiree
    TheYoungRetiree Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am giving up the use of my debit card (for anything other than online purchases) and donating the change I get with every purchase to charity. The change I get from meals out will go to the foodbank and the money from other spending will go to a charity non-specific. When something comes to a flat dollar amount (and for every online purchase) I put a dollar in the jar.

I also give up some of my free time everyday and read the daily readings.

This year I VOW to stick with abstaining from meat. My husband has been deployed the last two Lent's and keeping track of days is harder than you'd think- I would always catch myself right after cooking or eating sausage at breakfast!
  • lostemt76
    lostemt76 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Twizzlers::huh:
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    All the foods I'm allergic to. Wheat, rice, dairy, pork, and beef.

Cold turkey.
  • bpurc22
    bpurc22 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Cookies
    Cake
    Ice Cream
    Candy
    Whip Cream
    Cereal
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Alcohol
  • lr8812
    lr8812 Posts: 111
    Options
    bread
  • FittingIn
    FittingIn Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm not Catholic so I don't do Lent. However, I am trying to give up my fat body for a better one. :-)
  • annabellio
    annabellio Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Negative talk, swearing, meat (except fish) and (gasp !) alcohol!!
    If I mess up a quarter goes into a jar - so you can imagine there could be alot of $$$ at the end of Lent !Then I donate the $$.
  • Chaquilas
    Chaquilas Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I usually give up sodas and fried foods but since I rarely have those items now, I deactivated my Facebook acct.
  • Vonny_Vr
    Vonny_Vr Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am giving up sugar and flour. I did this last year and even though it was hard I felt really great at the end of it :)
  • samrockrocks
    samrockrocks Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    religion.
  • MummyHungry
    MummyHungry Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    This year I VOW to stick with abstaining from meat. My husband has been deployed the last two Lent's and keeping track of days is harder than you'd think- I would always catch myself right after cooking or eating sausage at breakfast!

That is *exactly* why I started giving up meat for Lent a few years back...I was tired of forgetting it was Friday!
  • jjteddy1982
    Options
    Alcohol

you are very brave!!!!
  • november03
    november03 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Negative talk, swearing, meat (except fish) and (gasp !) alcohol!!
    If I mess up a quarter goes into a jar - so you can imagine there could be alot of $$$ at the end of Lent !Then I donate the $$.

Love the jar idea!!! =)
  • november03
    november03 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I usually give up sodas and fried foods but since I rarely have those items now, I deactivated my Facebook acct.

Love the deactivating your facebook acct!!! That is a great one!!