Options

Replies

• mbroskey
    mbroskey Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Pasta
  • Puppylover27
    Options
    i give up love i fell in love with chocolate,my dogs, friends,& family. Maybe one a day that guy will come but right now i dont care. maybe he'll come for easter.
  • bethanyweathers
    bethanyweathers Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Desserts from the dinings halls
    Extra bread like rolls and breadsticks
    pop
    alcohol
    Eating out on weekends
  • kseltzer
    kseltzer Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    One year I gave up Wal-Mart....I didn't step foot in the place for the entire 40 days! I went to every other store BUT there!
    It was amazing!

Last year we gave up fried food and chocolate.....the fried food we stuck with and have now been fried food free for one year...unless we eat at a restaurant then the husband and kids go for it if they want, I usually don't but I do have the occasional french fry.....just nohing fried at home anymore!

This year I am giving up ice cream and frozen yogurt(yes, this is a saccrifice for me. I eat ice cream almost every day)
    I have a few other things that I'm planning on cutting back on but not truly givng up completely!

Good Luck everyone!

WTG on giving up WalMart!~ That's awesome!
  • VanishaDawn
    Options
    Facebook, fried foods, and soda!:sad:
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Sloth. I am going to celebrate the Resurrection by taking better care of the body God gave me.

THIS!! -Laziness in general, about exercise, housekeeping, and my job. I have been a very poor steward of what God has entrusted to me.

I have also given up coffee, started that a couple weeks ago for various reasons. Decided to stay with it thru Lent.
  • May63
    May63 Posts: 162
    Options
    Facebook
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    One year I gave up Wal-Mart....I didn't step foot in the place for the entire 40 days! I went to every other store BUT there!
    It was amazing!

And that was a sacrifice? I normally avoid Walmart at all costs!
  • HealthyAlison
    HealthyAlison Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    This year I have decided to give up Lent for Lent.

Amen to that. I've given up on Catholic hypocrisy and rules. I've been burned to many times by those who treat me like crap in the name of the "God of Love".
  • angijunbug
    Options
    In my eyes, Lent is a time of repentance. It's not so much about the "giving up" of food or things.

Repentance means to have a change of thought to correct a wrong and gain forgiveness from a person who is wronged.

So, I try to remember to forgive others more, to treat everyone the way I would want them to treat me.

I try to give up "my bad temper" for Lent.
  • NicolCook
    NicolCook Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I am giving up fried foods. No deep-fried foods, or pan-fried meats for me!
    Also devoted to posting a Bible verse(s) on my facebook page. Trying to grow closer to Christ durning this time of Lent!
  • stefanieanne14
    stefanieanne14 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up yelling and arguing (I know these aren't necessarily luxuries). I work full time, go to the gym daily and have a 1 and 3 year old. My patience can wear thin. I don't want to be short with my family though so I'm hoping this will allow me to find other ways to deal with my feelings and help my kids learn how to calmly deal with things too.

In addition, I'm going to TRY and give up gossiping. I work in a room with 4 other women though so we'll see how long that last ;)
  • kseltzer
    kseltzer Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I have bitten my nails for the first 30 years of my life and so this Lent I am going to give up biting them. Just before Lent is over and when my nails have grown out, I'm going to treat myself to having a professional manicure. I've only had one manicure in my life and that was the day before my wedding day!!
  • nurseloopy
    Options
    Procrastination :happy:
  • viclee1
    viclee1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I am giving up stuff, as part of de-cluttering, I want to get rid of 1 un-needed, or un-used, or un-loved object per day.
  • Suzannejl
    Options
    Happy Lenten Season Everyone!

Today is Ash Wednesday and for Lent::

I am giving up CARBS, or doing the South Beach diet. We'll see how I am after the first 2 weeks!!! LOL

For the giving back part, I am following The Fly Lady's decluttering/houseing cleaning program. (15 min a day everyone has to clean or pick up) Then once a week we're having 1 hr of family time, each person gets to choose what we do!

My prayer partner and I will be going to bible study on Friday's.

Good luck with what ever you are doing for Lent!
  • yogi_meg
    yogi_meg Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up dark colas. I've been cutting back on my coke zeros and diet pepsi, but ready to go cold turkey. Leaving sprite and gingerale as an option for the occasional belly ache.
  • Suzannejl
    Options
    I am giving up stuff, as part of de-cluttering, I want to get rid of 1 un-needed, or un-used, or un-loved object per day.

That's part of ours too! Every Friday I'm going to Safe Haven and donating what ever is in the box from the week! Good luck!
  • mnishi
    mnishi Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Religion and all its misogynist and child-abusing trappings......not just for Lent......for the rest of my life.

^^this
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Normally I give up sweets but I no longer eat them so that wouldn't be 'right'. I'd like to give up 10 more pounds but it needs to be something I'll miss or the whole idea is pointless.haha
    I'm kind of addicted to eating roasted edamame and/or nuts after dinner while I watch tv. Eureka! I'll give up eating while watching tv! Thanks for the inspiration. :)