Having potato at lunch?

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    You can eat starchy carbs anytime you want. You act like your body is going to detect starches and immediately add +100 pounds. A carb is 4 calories per gram. It doesn't matter if it's potato or a piece of fruit.

So, would you like to continue to spew your broscience nonsense?.

What are you talking about? Eating starchy carbs one day or another won't impact your health curve as long as you remain active, but eating only potatoes as a carb isn't "healthy" and you should try to derive your source of carbs from other sources. Starches can turn to sugar more quickly, despite having the same carbohydrate amount as a piece of bread. We need some starches, but sometimes we need the long lasting effect of whole grain carbohydrates to stay in our system longer than a starch carb will. Since plants convert sugars to starches as a form of food storage, our bodies can easily switch it back when it comes to certain food items, such as potatoes.

So are you saying that a low GI diet is superior and that whole grain carbs are better then other carbs?
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Eat whatever you prefer! Or switch it up so you don't get bored ;)
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    yall are making my hungry for starchy carbs.
  • AnnaValek
    AnnaValek Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    It's fine, but balance out your intake of potatoes with wheat breads and egg (no yolk) or wheat noodles. Carbs are good for energy, but starchy carbs can add up quicker.

First why wheat bread over let's say white bread, keeping in mind the effect of phytate content in wheat bread on mineral absorption and why no yolks int he eggs? mother nature cries when you throw out the yolk
    With wheat or whole grain, you get the unprocessed everything of the wheat, no just portions of it. You could also eat white bread, but you get more nutritionally from wheat. In a balanced diet, mineral absorption usually is able to work with an elastic metabolism. As for the yolks in the eggs, there's fat there which isn't present in egg whites.
  • MissFit0101
    Options
    It's fine, but balance out your intake of potatoes with wheat breads and egg (no yolk) or wheat noodles. Carbs are good for energy, but starchy carbs can add up quicker.

First why wheat bread over let's say white bread, keeping in mind the effect of phytate content in wheat bread on mineral absorption and why no yolks int he eggs? mother nature cries when you throw out the yolk
    With wheat or whole grain, you get the unprocessed everything of the wheat, no just portions of it. You could also eat white bread, but you get more nutritionally from wheat. In a balanced diet, mineral absorption usually is able to work with an elastic metabolism. As for the yolks in the eggs, there's fat there which isn't present in egg whites.

What's wrong with the fat in eggs?
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options

WHY do I suddenly want eggs over easy on hash browns now? WHHHHYYYYY?!?!?!?!
  • Acg67
    Options

Eek! not fat!

As for mineral absorption and whole grains;

Bohn T, et al. Phytic acid added to white-wheat bread inhibits fractional apparent magnesium absorption in humans. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, March 2004; (79) 3: 418-423.

Torre M, et al. Effects of dietary fiber and phytic acid on mineral availability. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, 1991; 30 (1): 1-22.

Reinhold JG, et al. Effects of purified phytate and phytate-rich bread upon metabolism of zinc, calcium, phosphorous, and nitrogen in man. Lancet, Feb. 10, 1973; 1 (7798): 283-288.

Campbell BJ, et al. The effects of prolonged consumption of wholemeal bread upon metabolism of calcium, magnesium, zinc and phosphorus of two young American adults. Pahlavi Medical Journal, Jan, 1976; 7 (1): 1-17.

Reinhold JG, et al. Decreased absorption of calcium, magnesium, zinc and phosphorus by humans due to increased fiber and phosphorus consumption as wheat bread. Journal of Nutrition, Apr, 1976; 106 (4): 493-503.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    You can eat starchy carbs anytime you want. You act like your body is going to detect starches and immediately add +100 pounds. A carb is 4 calories per gram. It doesn't matter if it's potato or a piece of fruit.

What are you talking about? Eating starchy carbs one day or another won't impact your health curve as long as you remain active, but eating only potatoes as a carb isn't "healthy" and you should try to derive your source of carbs from other sources. Starches can turn to sugar more quickly, despite having the same carbohydrate amount as a piece of bread. We need some starches, but sometimes we need the long lasting effect of whole grain carbohydrates to stay in our system longer than a starch carb will. Since plants convert sugars to starches as a form of food storage, our bodies can easily switch it back when it comes to certain food items, such as potatoes.
    The GI index is pretty much useless. Glycemic Load is more accurate, even then it doesn't matter for the average person.
  • MissFit0101
    Options

WHY do I suddenly want eggs over easy on hash browns now? WHHHHYYYYY?!?!?!?!

THAT sounds delish!
  • AnnaValek
    Options
    I'm saying that some diets work more for some than others will, and that a low GL diet is better for upkeep, especially when one has to do other things during the day that impedes their ability to be physically active. Carbs can be adjusted and, ignoring the idea of bread and potatoes, come from a variety of other sources. Whole grain carbs, as compared to other carbs, there is no difference. But with whole grain bread, you receive more of the nutrients. Wheat bread is made from flour using all three parts of the wheat. It is known as "whole grain" flour. Whole grain flour contains the nutrients found in the bran, the embryo and the endosperm. White bread, on the other hand, is the finely ground endosperm of the wheat kernel only. Nutrients provided by the bran and embryo are stripped away in the process of making white bread.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I'm still not understanding what is wrong with potatoes? They are PACKED with potassium and other nutrients, fiber, and are very filling. I think it is a wonderful choice.

Do what your taste buds prefer. I'm a fan of the potato idea to mix it up!
  • splucy
    splucy Posts: 353
    Options
    I was asking this because I was looking for something that might benefit my health more. I thought that the purity of a potato might be more health beneficial than processed bread! I'm not too sure what Potassium is all about. I am a bit of a noob when it comes to this sort of stuff.

Seems to have caused quite the stir. I am ever so confused! I think I'll just stick to the bread hahaha I wouldn't mind dodging the amount of calories in bread though... it always seems to make my lunch add up to a lot! and I have turkey bolognaise sitting in the fridge at home that I need to consume within the next two days so I thought potato + bolognaise was a good idea :P

maybe not!? :indifferent:
  • AnnaValek
    Options

The GI index is pretty much useless. Glycemic Load is more accurate, even then it doesn't matter for the average person.

I am not using those as a reference. I am referring to how the sugars and carbs are broken down besides the actual content of the food itself. And, "the average person" is not a good term for MFP, since everyone needs their own tweaks to a certain diet or exercise program to make it fit them best.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Would be a great idea! Maybe a little variety. If you like potatoes then go for it :D

The American diet is typically very low in potassium. Potatoes can add a lot. Sodium and Potassium are your electrolytes.
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    So I've realised that I need a decent amount of carbs at lunch time to keep me fueled through out the day and give me some much needed energy for the gym after work!

My question is.... Would I be better off having say.... mashed potato instead of bread?

I am having a lot of ham and salad sandwiches at lunch time (Wholegrain bread of course!) and am just thinking that a more 'pure' carbohydrate may be more health beneficial than this processed crap.

I thought that I could perhaps have my turkey bolognaise with some mashed potato for lunch tomorrow. Good idea or nahhhhh?

Thoughts?

Have which ever one you prefer. Carbs are not bad - even starchy carbs.

The benefit potatoes have over bread is that they are LOADED with potassium.

AND PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF PETE... let's not vilify starch!

I just had a lovely potato based dinner at EIGHT O'CLOCK! Oh noes.... I might get the diabeetus or wake up wrapped up in stubborn belly fat! :wink:

LOL^^^
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Oh and lets not forget all the fiber potatoes have too ;)

Last week I made cheesy potatoes with over 20 grams fiber. It was a masterpiece.
  • AnnaValek
    Options

Eek! not fat!

As for mineral absorption and whole grains;

Bohn T, et al. Phytic acid added to white-wheat bread inhibits fractional apparent magnesium absorption in humans. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, March 2004; (79) 3: 418-423.

Torre M, et al. Effects of dietary fiber and phytic acid on mineral availability. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, 1991; 30 (1): 1-22.

Reinhold JG, et al. Effects of purified phytate and phytate-rich bread upon metabolism of zinc, calcium, phosphorous, and nitrogen in man. Lancet, Feb. 10, 1973; 1 (7798): 283-288.

Campbell BJ, et al. The effects of prolonged consumption of wholemeal bread upon metabolism of calcium, magnesium, zinc and phosphorus of two young American adults. Pahlavi Medical Journal, Jan, 1976; 7 (1): 1-17.

Reinhold JG, et al. Decreased absorption of calcium, magnesium, zinc and phosphorus by humans due to increased fiber and phosphorus consumption as wheat bread. Journal of Nutrition, Apr, 1976; 106 (4): 493-503.

These studies aren't large enough to be qualified as statistically significant, and though the insights into the studies may help an athlete or anyone for that matter reconsider their food choices, I'm not saying that everyone that reads this should only eat wheat bread or never eat egg yolks. Mineral absorption may not be a large concern for someone who takes in vast quantities anyway, and the body's metabolism is usually able, within a few weeks of adjustment, to compensate for the inhibition.
  • Acg67
    Options
    I cooked a white potato in duck fat tonight which i guess was a double whammy of awfulness from the starch and fat
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Is it really bad to admit that I have no freakin' clue what a "starchy" carb is?

I really don't. I'm trying to figure this out and I'm failing.

But turning my confusion and amusement... OP, I agree with the posters here that say eat what you'd like. Wheat bread is a great source of carbs and will fuel your work out. Potatoes are a great source of carbs and will fuel your work out. They'll differ in calorie content (probably) and in micronutrients (the vitamins and minerals that they have), but aside from that... it's just a preference thing. As long as you can meet your calorie goals, you're golden.

And potato + bolognaise sounds fabulous!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I'm saying that some diets work more for some than others will, and that a low GL diet is better for upkeep, especially when one has to do other things during the day that impedes their ability to be physically active.
    Once again for the average person glycemic load makes no difference.
    Carbs can be adjusted and, ignoring the idea of bread and potatoes, come from a variety of other sources.
    Yep, adjusted on taste.
    Whole grain carbs, as compared to other carbs, there is no difference.
    Yet, you choose one over the other.
    But with whole grain bread, you receive more of the nutrients. Wheat bread is made from flour using all three parts of the wheat. It is known as "whole grain" flour. Whole grain flour contains the nutrients found in the bran, the embryo and the endosperm. White bread, on the other hand, is the finely ground endosperm of the wheat kernel only. Nutrients provided by the bran and embryo are stripped away in the process of making white bread.
    You skipped over the issue of absorption.

It goes like this. Most people eat whole grain breads due to the fiber content. Of course whole grains have gluten (protein) in them, but as we all know, that can lead to a host of problem. So, If I am going for fiber, I am better off eating fruit. So, please tell me again how grains are better than a potato?