Having potato at lunch?

Options

Replies

• KatieCuth
    KatieCuth Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I was asking this because I was looking for something that might benefit my health more. I thought that the purity of a potato might be more health beneficial than processed bread! I'm not too sure what Potassium is all about. I am a bit of a noob when it comes to this sort of stuff.

Seems to have caused quite the stir. I am ever so confused! I think I'll just stick to the bread hahaha I wouldn't mind dodging the amount of calories in bread though... it always seems to make my lunch add up to a lot! and I have turkey bolognaise sitting in the fridge at home that I need to consume within the next two days so I thought potato + bolognaise was a good idea :P

maybe not!? :indifferent:

A baked potato (with skin) is a fantastic lunch time meal topped with your lean turkey bolognese. It will keep you full and give you more energy for the gym... Maybe go light on the carbs for dinner which you normally DO! As previous posters said before the silly **** fight began if you stick to your macro's you will be fine.
    A baked potato is low in fat, contain a wide raing of vitamins and minerals...

Just mix it up!
  • queenpushycat
    queenpushycat Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I am gonna make Japanese style potato salad.
  • AnnaValek
    AnnaValek Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I AM NOT SAYING THAT CARBS, STARCHY CARBS, YOLKS, OR WHITE BREAD IS BAD.

I am trying to get it out that sometimes, some carbs should be taken over others, some fat choices should be made over others, and that you should not have a diet incorporating only white bread. Don't eat one thing or another and ignore alternatives or substitutes, but keep in mind what you want the food to do for you. If you want quick energy, potatoes are awesome. Long lasting energy, reach for a whole grain bagel. Having some not-so-fat-free breakfast? Skip the yolks. Want to grab some extra nutrients one fine day to make sure you're balanced, pick a whole grain or wheat slice of toast for breakfast, save the white for lunch.
  • gleechick609
    Options
    potatotard-meme-generator-i-can-count-to-potato-57195f.jpg?1307366897.jpg
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I was asking this because I was looking for something that might benefit my health more. I thought that the purity of a potato might be more health beneficial than processed bread! I'm not too sure what Potassium is all about. I am a bit of a noob when it comes to this sort of stuff.

Seems to have caused quite the stir. I am ever so confused! I think I'll just stick to the bread hahaha I wouldn't mind dodging the amount of calories in bread though... it always seems to make my lunch add up to a lot! and I have turkey bolognaise sitting in the fridge at home that I need to consume within the next two days so I thought potato + bolognaise was a good idea :P

A baked potato (with skin) is a fantastic lunch time meal topped with your lean turkey bolognese. It will keep you full and give you more energy for the gym... Maybe go light on the carbs for dinner which you normally DO! As previous posters said before the silly **** fight began if you stick to your macro's you will be fine.

Just mix it up!

This is what I was going to suggest, too. You'll get more fiber if you leave the skin on and bake it. However, if you're within your daily intake, and you want some mashed potatoes, by all means, enjoy them! (I LOVE mashed potatoes!) And eggs with yolks, too! :laugh: It's amazing some of the off the wall comments people get on their posts around here. :huh:
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Or you can just eat what fits in your macros, enjoy what ever food you decide you want at the time, and have a mix of foods to get your micros. No need to make things complicated
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I am trying to get it out that sometimes, some carbs should be taken over others, some fat choices should be made over others, and that you should not have a diet incorporating only white bread. Don't eat one thing or another and ignore alternatives or substitutes, but keep in mind what you want the food to do for you. If you want quick energy, potatoes are awesome. Long lasting energy, reach for a whole grain bagel. Having some not-so-fat-free breakfast? Skip the yolks. Want to grab some extra nutrients one fine day to make sure you're balanced, pick a whole grain or wheat slice of toast for breakfast, save the white for lunch.

You keep working under the assumption that the extra minerals/nutrients in whole grain bread get absorbed when in reality it leads to minimal to no increases over white bread
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Or you can just eat what fits in your macros, enjoy what ever food you decide you want at the time, and have a mix of foods to get your micros. No need to make things complicated

you+win+at+life+internet+everything+_eb5f8e38f8c24709e54c2ace6f4f0aff.jpg
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

Just mix it up!

This is what I was going to suggest, too. You'll get more fiber if you leave the skin on and bake it. However, if you're within your daily intake, and you want some mashed potatoes, by all means, enjoy them! (I LOVE mashed potatoes!) And eggs with yolks, too! :laugh: It's amazing some of the off the wall comments people get on their posts around here. :huh:

Or make baked skins for dinner and the mashed for lunch! Mmmm :]
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

FWIW, you can make mashed potatoes with the skins on too. I always do them that way because I like the flavor better.
  • ishallnotwant
    Options
    I cooked a white potato in duck fat tonight which i guess was a double whammy of awfulness from the starch and fat

I fried my potatoes in bacon grease and swelled up like a pufferfish immediately after eating them. It was probably that whole egg I ate with it. I shouldn't have combined the potato with a yolk + egg, ya know? Just whites when consuming potatoes. :tongue:
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options

And in a genuine attempt to be more helpful...

Potassium is a great nutrient that we need for daily living. It's involved in a host of biochemical events, but one of the most important (in my opinion) is that it helps maintain the polarity of our cells. Polarity just means the electrical charge- there's a charge difference across the membranes of our cells and this charge difference is used for cell-signaling.

As for the issue with 'purity', I personally don't worry about the processedness of food (can I use that word? processedness?), BUT if I was worried about it, then yes, a potato would be 'better' than store bought bread in terms of being less processed.

Enjoy your lunch :D

Oh... and variety is good- it gives your body a wide array of nutrients to choose from- so 'tatoes sometimes, bread sometimes, squash sometimes... whatever suits your fancy. They all have advantages!
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Stop over thinking everything so much...

Here's the methodology I use that has been very effective for me:

Eat a serving of fruit and green veggies, hit your fiber count, then fill in foods YOU LIKE to hit your macros surgically.

And I'll be truthful I don't always eat my green veggies, but do take a great multi.
  • ishallnotwant
    Options

FWIW, you can make mashed potatoes with the skins on too. I always do them that way because I like the flavor better.

My mom always makes them like that, too. I do, rarely, but i'm not super fond of skin in my mashed potatoes. It's a texture thing, for me. :smile:
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Bohn T, et al. Phytic acid added to white-wheat bread inhibits fractional apparent magnesium absorption in humans. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, March 2004; (79) 3: 418-423.

Torre M, et al. Effects of dietary fiber and phytic acid on mineral availability. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, 1991; 30 (1): 1-22.

Reinhold JG, et al. Effects of purified phytate and phytate-rich bread upon metabolism of zinc, calcium, phosphorous, and nitrogen in man. Lancet, Feb. 10, 1973; 1 (7798): 283-288.

Campbell BJ, et al. The effects of prolonged consumption of wholemeal bread upon metabolism of calcium, magnesium, zinc and phosphorus of two young American adults. Pahlavi Medical Journal, Jan, 1976; 7 (1): 1-17.

Reinhold JG, et al. Decreased absorption of calcium, magnesium, zinc and phosphorus by humans due to increased fiber and phosphorus consumption as wheat bread. Journal of Nutrition, Apr, 1976; 106 (4): 493-503.

Your references are not in alphabetical order. I must deduct 10 points from an otherwise excellent presentation.
  • AnnaValek
    AnnaValek Posts: 129 Member
    Options

You keep working under the assumption that the extra minerals/nutrients in whole grain bread get absorbed when in reality it leads to minimal to no increases over white bread

Due to the inhibition of absorption? When a study says "inhibited", it could be by less than .05 percent and still be a true statement. (.05 as a significance is what, in most states, legally holds up in court.) You have to pick and choose your goods and bads. I prefer wheat bread because I feel I get more out of it than white bread, and I've grown accustomed to the taste. Besides this, I don't find that wheat or whole grain bread inhibits the body's absorption of minerals and nutrients anywhere close enough to cause a deficiency. Also, a well balanced diet would negate that concern anyway.
  • ishallnotwant
    Options

Just mix it up!

Or make baked skins for dinner and the mashed for lunch! Mmmm :]

OOhhhhh the perfect combination! :heart:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Due to the inhibition of absorption? When a study says "inhibited", it could be by less than .05 percent and still be a true statement. (.05 as a significance is what, in most states, legally holds up in court.) You have to pick and choose your goods and bads. I prefer wheat bread because I feel I get more out of it than white bread, and I've grown accustomed to the taste. Besides this, I don't find that wheat or whole grain bread inhibits the body's absorption of minerals and nutrients anywhere close enough to cause a deficiency. Also, a well balanced diet would negate that concern anyway.

What i'm saying, recommending whole grain bread due it's greater amount of nutrients over white bread is faulty, since the greater amounts of nutrients don't get all absorbed, making the absorbed nutrient content between the 2 much more similar and to make choosing the whole grain bread for nutrients moot
  • KatieCuth
    KatieCuth Posts: 569 Member
    Options

we call them smashed potatoes... yummy
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

we call them smashed potatoes... yummy

haggis_om_nom_nom.jpg