Giving up anything for Lent that will help you lose weight?

Options

Replies

• jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I am not Catholic, but my hubby and I decided to give up meat on Fridays. We said that we will spend that day filling up on veggies and fruits!
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    No more Pepsi or soda of any kind. I actually started that Monday and I am really missing my morning Pepsi :( I've done it before and kept it up for 4 years, i can do this!!!
  • Greyseal
    Options
    I'm not giving up anything; I've decided instead to ADD some things during Lent: more focused reading and entertainment, all aimed at helping me spiritually and physically. Starting by bringing an inspirational book to the gym this morning. And, of course, Ash Wednesday service today to make it all official :-)
  • verybusybee
    verybusybee Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Though it could very well kill me, I'm giving up pasta.

I should give this up as this is a huge down fall for me, but lately I have been into Burger King and I don't know why cuz it is so unhealthy. I am giving up fast food, all of it, Wendy's, McD's, BK etc. I am also going to add something new to my eating each week. I will by trying salmon next week.
  • Boingo1
    Boingo1 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Im giving up TV! LOL it helps me get off my butt.

That's a tough one! Good for you!
  • anchees
    anchees Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I plan to give up candy. I eat candy in the afternoons at work almost every day! It is just too much. I'm going to try to replace it with healthier snacks and hopefully it will become a habit.
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    I am not giving something up, but made a commitment to myself to go swimming every day during Lent, preferably in the sea!!
  • Boingo1
    Boingo1 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up chocolate (unhealthy chocolate). BIG one for me!

I'm also going to commit to spending time "with" God, either in prayer or reading the Bible or something related.
  • Gogobecky
    Options
    A bunch of my friends are taking part in a 47 day running streak... you have to run (or walk) at least 10 min every day of lent. While I'm not back up running form... this will sure help me get back into shape! To add the religious spin to it for those that are especially religious, some are meditating on a bible verse every day while working out.

That's a good idea. You could even increase it each day...start out at 10 min, then the next go to 11 or if you are adventurous another 10! Now THAT would help you get in shape! ;)
  • luvnthenewme
    luvnthenewme Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I would give up smoking, but I did that 12 years ago....
    I would give up caffeine, but I did that 7 years ago.....
    I would give up added sugar, but I did that 2 months ago....
    I would give up starch, but ....yeah.... already did that too....

I KNOW!!!!

I will give up MY BODY FAT!! For Lent, I will not put on any more weight!!!!

:) Think that counts????
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    :embarassed: I'm not Catholic, but I am a Christian and I love the idea of giving something up for the Lenten season. I will be giving up Soda pop and also ....(embarrassed to admit this ) swearing. Yep, i am a Christian who has a problem with swearing.... believe me I am truly ashamed to admit that!!!
  • nikki778
    nikki778 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm not Catholic...but I'm going to try to give up my negative thoughts. They lead to self-doubt and depression and that derails me in a lot of ways, not just my fat loss efforts...

This is what I am doing as well. I am "letting go" & moving on. XO
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I've already given up everything I'm willing to. Plus, I'm not Catholic :tongue:
  • maryellen8301
    maryellen8301 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I am not giving something up, but made a commitment to myself to go swimming every day during Lent, preferably in the sea!!

i Agree with you.. im not giving up anything food related.. im going to make a commitment to work out a little each day..
    but i am giving up using my phone in the car.. no texting no calling.. thats a big thing for me.. did it last year too..
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Every year I give up a vice, and my vices typically revolve around food. This year, I am giving up alcohol, junk/fried food and cigarettes. Last year, it was noodles and rice. I don't really want to lose weight, so I will just up my food intake.
  • AshliKrasz
    AshliKrasz Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Rather than give anything up which I feel would be too easy for me (I don't have any addictions to food worth giving up and sweets is impossible since I have a cake business and need to taste test). I'm going to log in here every day and record my food, I'm also going to do my workout 5 times a week no excuses. This is the stuff that's hard for me.
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I have always given up soda before for Lent. But, this year, I have eliminated it out of my diet for weight loss. I am still struggling with junk food. So, I am going to cut out junk food for snacks.
  • ClareB1974
    ClareB1974 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I've given up swearing and weighing myself for lent, despite not being even a teensy bit religious. There was a third thing, but I've already forgotten what it was. I'm feeling very virtuous so I can't have broken the third one yet......I hope I remember soon!
  • lmhuffinc
    Options
    I am giving up negative thinking..
  • Geckokat
    Geckokat Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am no longer Catholic either, but we do participate in Lent as an exercise in family focus and will power. Our go-to is take out coffee (bye, bye Timmies) and timbits for the kids, as it is a bad habit we have on weekends when we are on the go. We are adding chocolate, as a family. I am also extending that to any sweets for myself.

I am adding in that the children and I will attend services and Sunday School every Sunday. DH and I are both trying to get more exercise (not necessarily Lenten, but it is something we need to make a better habit of, as we tend to go in fits and starts), and I would like to spend more time hiking as a family.

I like Lent better than New Year's resolutions, personally.