Giving up anything for Lent that will help you lose weight?

Options

Replies

• nmzeta
    nmzeta Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I like the TV idea. I would also have to give up the computer because sitting in front of my laptop is as bad as sitting and watching Law and Order. I will only allow myself 1 hr a day of TV/PC when I am not at work. Thanks for the ideas! I was struggling on what I would do

- limit 1 hour of TV/PC a day
  • luvdooney33
    Options
    if you can give up alcohol , or soda. even try give up eating at any place with a drive thru ??
  • clioratha
    clioratha Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My daughter decided she was giving up meat this Lent, so hubby and I will be going pescetarian as well. I think that should also serve to improve our overall health.

As an added kicker for me, I'm going to try to learn to drink my coffee black. I've taken it without sugar for years, but I can't take it without cream. And yet, that's a source of sneaky calories, and learning to drink it black should hopefully be something that continues past Lent.

I like merrylea's idea of the 10-minute run - i'm certainly not in shape enough to run yet, but maybe if i use the stationary bike daily that's a start...

I am also doing other things that are more oriented toward improving my spiritual life as well (I'm Catholic), but the OP just asked about weight loss :laugh:

15145631.png
  • MsKekeSoFocused
    MsKekeSoFocused Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up pre- made frozen food. No more lean cuisines, lean pockets, ect.

This is good, cause processed food isn't good for you no way..
  • sarakelseym
    sarakelseym Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm not Catholic either, but I still observe Lent as a chance to challenge myself. Hopefully change something for the better, you know? Anyway, I'm giving up something strange...the scale! I'm not weighing myself the next 40 days. I find that I've been getting frustrated and get really negative when the scale doesn't shift. I'm also going to be doing Jillian Michael's 30 DS...but the main thing is I hope that by not weighing myself obsessively I'll realize that there's more to getting healthy than a number.
  • sdawkins04
    sdawkins04 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I will be on the 21 day Daniel Fast which basically consists of only eating frutis, vegetables, beans, whole grains, and nuts/seeds. The biggest challenge for me is giving up sweets and bread. However, I am expecting great results in both my health and spiritual life :)
  • mickij3
    mickij3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    red meat...ground beef, steaks...all of it!! :frown:
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Beer :sad:

I hear ya man... Im giving up all alcohol. I miss wine already :cry:
  • mickij3
    mickij3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options

LOL...you can do it!!
  • Tiffa0909
    Tiffa0909 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I don't observe lent and I already had chocolate today , but I want to give up something for 39.5 days.

I will give up chocolate and every other sweets.
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up pre- made frozen food. No more lean cuisines, lean pockets, ect.

This is good, cause processed food isn't good for you no way..

^^ That was my new years resolution (I stole the idea from a co-worker... sorry mary) and I've been sticking to it! It's amazing how long it takes to make lunch now. HAHA
  • soomiles
    Options
    For me it will be Chocolate (sob, sob), Crisps and Diet Coke! :sad:
  • merrylea
    merrylea Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    A bunch of my friends are taking part in a 47 day running streak... you have to run (or walk) at least 10 min every day of lent. While I'm not back up running form... this will sure help me get back into shape! To add the religious spin to it for those that are especially religious, some are meditating on a bible verse every day while working out.

That's a good idea. You could even increase it each day...start out at 10 min, then the next go to 11 or if you are adventurous another 10! Now THAT would help you get in shape! ;)

I plan on doing more than 10 min a day... but those days that you just don't feel like doing nothing... or you need a rest... just doing 10 minutes of activity is an option to keep you going. Can't wait to see what happens by Easter!!!!
  • kar2083
    kar2083 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Timbits/Doughnuts and Chips. I normally have one or two mini donuts whenever I'd go on break at work, especially with tea (they were 50 cal a pop). As for Chips, I'm an addict. I've pretty much given them up since January, but have had maybe a handful since then. I was just thinking of having some yesterday so I'm gonna hold off for the rest of lent. Those and of course, no meat on fridays.
  • Tiff1124
    Tiff1124 Posts: 261 Member
    Options

LOL...you can do it!!

Keeping my fingers crossed :) It was either that or meat, and I know I can't give that up lol
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I don't practice Lent anymore, but did as a child. I also don't believe in resolutions, giving things up, or most of the ideas surrounding Lent. I am a Christian (but not an overly religious person), and try to just live each day to the best of my ability.

That being said, I will continue on the successful path of my life - one day at at time (sometimes, one MINUTE at a time). I will enjoy each day, I will be positive and content with what I have, I will thank God for all He has taken me through, and all He has promised me for my future. I will try to inspire others, I will keep my MFP connections, and I will just be happy!

Life is good.
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • jesusislove1526
    jesusislove1526 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up all candy that is not chocolate, and all drinks that are not water. I am also adding on a 20 minute walk to my exercise routine.
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Red meat.
  • sara8carol3
    sara8carol3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Giving up french fries, my most favorite thing in the world.
  • scoop250
    Options
    I'm giving up chocolate, even the 100 calorie packs of cookies. I've been slipping lately and this will help me tremendously and I added doughnuts to this as well, since my 5 year old has an occasional doughnut and they are so hard to resist!! Now that I think about it, I should give up Facebook as well!! LOL That one would really get me off of my butt!!! One day at at time, I suppose... I have put my goals up on the Fridge to remind me of where I want to be and what I need to do on a Daily basis!!! Good Luck everybody!!!