Can you reduce the size of muscles?

Options
Probably sounds like a strange request but recently I've been doing a lot of arm exercises in order to help tone up my "bingo wings" it's been working fine but I've started to get quite muscly arms.. now being female I don't want to end up looking too muscly and masculine so is there a way to stop the muscle getting bigger but still tone?

Replies

• mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    bump
  • feistymoon
    Options
    Reduce the weight you lift but increase the repetitions.

That's what Ive always been told. It tones without building more apparently. I'll be honest though, my knowledge in this area is pretty limited so there will be people here far more qualified to answer than me.

Hope this helps x
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options

That's what Ive always been told. It tones without building more apparently. I'll be honest though, my knowledge in this area is pretty limited so there will be people here far more qualified to answer than me.

Hope this helps x

this...

Pilates or yoga. Both disciplines are known for their muscle-toning effects. Those who regularly practice yoga or Pilates develop long, lean muscles.
  • adamlb
    adamlb Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Muscles can only grow or shrink, and you can increase or decrease the level of body fat (though not in a targeted way); "tone" is a bit of a falsehood.
    Just looked for a reference; there might be some useful info here - http://yourtrainerdamon.blogspot.com/2010/05/theres-no-such-thing-as-tone.html
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Hope this helps x
    That does nothing.

In order to reduce muscle size, you to do activities that are muscle wasting (catabolic) for starters, stop lifting weights and start hours on end of cardio.

I highly doubt you are muscular. Most women freak out when they start to lean out and build lean muscle (which is good!) You don't produce enough testosterone to look like a man.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ As per usual, Fitnesssocial is correct.

Increasing weight to a light weight simply will waste your time and hit your fast twitch fibres and potentionally build them more anyway.

Also, you CANNOT tone muscle. Its impossible. You either build muscle or lose fat. You cannot tone anything.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    headslap
  • jimmie25
    jimmie25 Posts: 266
    Options
    whats wrong with muscly arms?
  • Sophiepoo
    Sophiepoo Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid you can't tone. If you're losing fat then some muscle will show. This is a good thing :)
  • TamsinEllis
    Options
    I don't know anything about this sort of stuff but I can say at the moment I have what my (girl) friends think are large muscles in my arms, I don't. What has happened is I have developed muscles there and because I still have a high body fat percentage they look bigger then they actually are. I obviously don't know you height/weight/measurements/bf% etc, but most likely you'll find those "large" muscles will turn into what we consider "toned" muscles as your body fat decreases. Of course I'm saying all this but I could be wrong,it's just the way I understand things :)
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    If you are putting that much muscle on, I would consider a career in female body building.

Seriously... Most female struggle to put on muscles and most of them will never have large muscles, so count yourself lucky.
  • mickipedia
    Options

Hope this helps x
    That does nothing.

In order to reduce muscle size, you to do activities that are muscle wasting (catabolic) for starters, stop lifting weights and start hours on end of cardio.

I highly doubt you are muscular. Most women freak out when they start to lean out and build lean muscle (which is good!) You don't produce enough testosterone to look like a man.

I know I'm not eaxctly getting ripped, but i have chunky arms as it is and the muscle that is starting to show is making them look worse.. i wish it was possible to lose weight in certain places.

belly and arms gone and I'm happy :)

and i know i need overall body fat % to be lower before these things will be what i want them to be but i don't want to end up with she-hulk arms on a little body lol
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Unless you have an unordinary amount of testosterone you can not build bulky arms like a man.
    Lower weights and a rep range of 12-15 will build leaner sexy muscles.

I'd like to see those she hulk arms of yours.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    and i know i need overall body fat % to be lower before these things will be what i want them to be but i don't want to end up with she-hulk arms on a little body lol

You won't. You don't have the hormonal capability. Testosterone is the hormone responsible for allowing muscle to be held in the body and as a woman you will not have enough to get she-hulk arms.
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options

Hope this helps x
    That does nothing.

I'd be freaking alright... freaking dancing for joy!! lol
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I really doubt it's the actual muscle causing the size, it's probably fat tbh.

Fat can cause so much more "bulk" than muscle does, especially in women. When I was the weight I am now, prior to MFP, I had some muscle, and background of strength training but not loads. My clothes were so tight around my upper arms / shoulders / lats etc. I could see muscle there so it probably seemed like it was that (I was ~27% body fat) but...

Since then I lost weight (fat) and then went on a bulk cycle to build muscle <<<< like in my pic. I have a lot more muscle showing than before, and no doubt more muscle mass, yet my fat % is like 22% now, and the same clothes that used to be tight, now have a gap where it used to dig into my skin.
    Note: To still build that muscle it wasn't just lifting that did it - I ate like 3000 calories a day, with a 5 day a week training routine. When I was lifting but on a calorie deficit & maintenance, as I'm assuming you are, I was quite a bit smaller, muscle nowhere near that size.

Muscle + fat = bigger / chunkier arms.
    More muscle + less fat = smaller arms :D

Muscle is more dense than fat too, so it takes up less room making you smaller.

If you still want to lose muscle though, forget the high rep thing, that doesn't do much. Just stop strength training, and as you lose weight some will naturally be muscle as well as fat.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    ^^^
    Exactly

tumblr_lr82a8QyR01qeow5po1_500.jpg
  • mickipedia
    Options
    I really doubt it's the actual muscle causing the size, it's probably fat tbh.

Fat can cause so much more "bulk" than muscle does, especially in women. When I was the weight I am now, prior to MFP, I had some muscle, and background of strength training but not loads. My clothes were so tight around my upper arms / shoulders / lats etc. I could see muscle there so it probably seemed like it was that (I was ~27% body fat) but...

Since then I lost weight (fat) and then went on a bulk cycle to build muscle <<<< like in my pic. I have a lot more muscle showing than before, and no doubt more muscle mass, yet my fat % is like 22% now, and the same clothes that used to be tight, now have a gap where it used to dig into my skin.
    Note: To still build that muscle it wasn't just lifting that did it - I ate like 3000 calories a day, with a 5 day a week training routine. When I was lifting but on a calorie deficit & maintenance, as I'm assuming you are, I was quite a bit smaller, muscle nowhere near that size.

Muscle + fat = bigger / chunkier arms.
    More muscle + less fat = smaller arms :D

Muscle is more dense than fat too, so it takes up less room making you smaller.

If you still want to lose muscle though, forget the high rep thing, that doesn't do much. Just stop strength training, and as you lose weight some will naturally be muscle as well as fat.

I know these things, my arms aren't that muscly at the moment and I agree that it is fat thats making them look big (hense why I want to work on them) all I'm worried about is if i work them a lot then the muscle will obviously get bigger and when the fat goes it will look more bulky.. I don't really want any muscle on my arms so thats why I want to know a way of making sure this doesn't happen.

Thanks for the advice tho
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    You may also be experiencing muscle swelling - it can last several days. If I've done a really heavy workout, my muscles - especially my triceps experience temporary swelling.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/530064-muscles-feeling-sore-swollen-after-workout/

Stick with the strength training, you will ultimately look better because of it.
  • RonnieBigGunz
    Options
    I gotta see a picture of this. It takes seriously heavy lifting, lot of dedication (years of training), and great genetics for a woman do develop big arms naturally.

Losing muscle is easy. Eat at a calorie deficit and don't lift heavy = muscle atrophy, but who would want that? You will either end up looking emaciated or skinny-fat.