Can you reduce the size of muscles?

Options

Replies

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options

I know these things, my arms aren't that muscly at the moment and I agree that it is fat thats making them look big (hense why I want to work on them) all I'm worried about is if i work them a lot then the muscle will obviously get bigger and when the fat goes it will look more bulky.. I don't really want any muscle on my arms so thats why I want to know a way of making sure this doesn't happen.

Thanks for the advice tho

You won't :) The amount of muscle you would have gained by strength training in a deficit or maintenance, is going to be so small. You'll just look more toned / defined but it definitely won't be bulky, unless you're eating in a surplus + training specifically to gain size.

There are tons of women on this site who lift so much, and they have been for ages, and they look great, not bulky in the slightest! Have a look around the bodybuilding group, or in a lot of threads about strength training and you should see them, they're a real inspiration!

Another pic I have (public profile) - green/white dress, was after I'd lost all the weight I wanted and got to my goal, before I started bulking. I was lifting heavy for almost a year solidly when that was taken and was more toned than before and smaller than before MFP but hardly had any extra muscle at all, definitely wasn't bulky.
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    whats wrong with muscly arms?

^^ This! :)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I really doubt it's the actual muscle causing the size, it's probably fat tbh.

Fat can cause so much more "bulk" than muscle does, especially in women. When I was the weight I am now, prior to MFP, I had some muscle, and background of strength training but not loads. My clothes were so tight around my upper arms / shoulders / lats etc. I could see muscle there so it probably seemed like it was that (I was ~27% body fat) but...

Since then I lost weight (fat) and then went on a bulk cycle to build muscle <<<< like in my pic. I have a lot more muscle showing than before, and no doubt more muscle mass, yet my fat % is like 22% now, and the same clothes that used to be tight, now have a gap where it used to dig into my skin.
    Note: To still build that muscle it wasn't just lifting that did it - I ate like 3000 calories a day, with a 5 day a week training routine. When I was lifting but on a calorie deficit & maintenance, as I'm assuming you are, I was quite a bit smaller, muscle nowhere near that size.

Muscle + fat = bigger / chunkier arms.
    More muscle + less fat = smaller arms :D

Muscle is more dense than fat too, so it takes up less room making you smaller.

If you still want to lose muscle though, forget the high rep thing, that doesn't do much. Just stop strength training, and as you lose weight some will naturally be muscle as well as fat.

I know these things, my arms aren't that muscly at the moment and I agree that it is fat thats making them look big (hense why I want to work on them) all I'm worried about is if i work them a lot then the muscle will obviously get bigger and when the fat goes it will look more bulky.. I don't really want any muscle on my arms so thats why I want to know a way of making sure this doesn't happen.

Thanks for the advice tho

Why do you want to be weak? That's basically what you're asking.

If you're afraid that your arms will be disproportionately larger than other areas of your body, then work on building those other areas while keeping your arm strength up.

As a woman, you're not going to get Arnold arms. Stop worrying about that (and stop listening to all the crap that says you will). And if any of your profile pics are even remotely recent, your arms are just fine (actually, you look good in general).
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    You will not get she-hulk arms by weight lifting. You don't have enough testosterone.

You can reduce the size of muscle by not working them. Stop lifting weights and do only cardio.

Unless I'm mis-understanding what you are saying, you want to be skinny-fat? Thin with no muscle? You should probably re-think that. That's no more healthy than being plain old over weight. And it's only maintainable with a VLCD.

By reducing your muscle, you are reducing your metabolism.

As an aside. The pictures you see of fitness models with muscle definition have very very low body fat percentages. 10-13%. And they only look like that during competitions. The rest of the time, they look like very fit and healthy women. 10-13% body fat is only possible with an immense amount of dedication and hard work. Beyond what 99% of the rest of us women would do.
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I gotta see a picture of this. It takes seriously heavy lifting, lot of dedication (years of training), and great genetics for a woman do develop big arms naturally.

Losing muscle is easy. Eat at a calorie deficit and don't lift heavy = muscle atrophy, but who would want that? You will either end up looking emaciated or skinny-fat.

My arms aren't like that yet, I notice the difference and it looks huge to me.. I want to prevent it thats all.

And i don't really want to be weak.. its just i don't want hufely defined muscles on my arms.. i want dainty lady arms because i've never had them.
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    if you want to be dainty, stop working out and stop eating. Thats how the super models do it. /sarcasm off.
  • mickipedia
    Options
    if you want to be dainty, stop working out and stop eating. Thats how the super models do it. /sarcasm off.

Well you're obviously a moron.
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    http://www.crossfitsouthbay.com/2011/05/skinny-fat/

You need to read the whole thing. I considered copying and pasting it, but it loses some effect without the images.
  • thecrossfitter
    Options
    I really doubt it's the actual muscle causing the size, it's probably fat tbh.

Fat can cause so much more "bulk" than muscle does, especially in women. When I was the weight I am now, prior to MFP, I had some muscle, and background of strength training but not loads. My clothes were so tight around my upper arms / shoulders / lats etc. I could see muscle there so it probably seemed like it was that (I was ~27% body fat) but...

Since then I lost weight (fat) and then went on a bulk cycle to build muscle <<<< like in my pic. I have a lot more muscle showing than before, and no doubt more muscle mass, yet my fat % is like 22% now, and the same clothes that used to be tight, now have a gap where it used to dig into my skin.
    Note: To still build that muscle it wasn't just lifting that did it - I ate like 3000 calories a day, with a 5 day a week training routine. When I was lifting but on a calorie deficit & maintenance, as I'm assuming you are, I was quite a bit smaller, muscle nowhere near that size.

Muscle + fat = bigger / chunkier arms.
    More muscle + less fat = smaller arms :D

Muscle is more dense than fat too, so it takes up less room making you smaller.

If you still want to lose muscle though, forget the high rep thing, that doesn't do much. Just stop strength training, and as you lose weight some will naturally be muscle as well as fat.

This.
  • thecrossfitter
    Options
    You won't :) The amount of muscle you would have gained by strength training in a deficit or maintenance, is going to be so small. You'll just look more toned / defined but it definitely won't be bulky, unless you're eating in a surplus + training specifically to gain size.

There are tons of women on this site who lift so much, and they have been for ages, and they look great, not bulky in the slightest! Have a look around the bodybuilding group, or in a lot of threads about strength training and you should see them, they're a real inspiration!

Another pic I have (public profile) - green/white dress, was after I'd lost all the weight I wanted and got to my goal, before I started bulking. I was lifting heavy for almost a year solidly when that was taken and was more toned than before and smaller than before MFP but hardly had any extra muscle at all, definitely wasn't bulky.

Also correct. As for me ive been lifting heavy for 7 months (5 days a week) and not eating at a deficit. My arms actually measure smaller than before. I can actually wear an XS top where before my arms kept me in a medium. I think (hope) I at least built some muscle! But truthfully the exercise I got from lifting is what helped me burn fat and lose it all over- thus my smaller arms. Fat was the only thing making my arms big.
  • margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    Options

I can only assume you are referring to yourself here! People keep telling you the same thing, the FAT IS MAKING THEM LOOK FAT! Not muscle. If you want skinny little arms, get skinny all over nad they will follow.

If you think you somehow manage to create man arms, please share how you did it! I work my *kitten* off to have well defined arms and have for years, yet don't have man-hulk arms! I would love to see pictures and know YOUR secrets!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I had chubby arms, and was afraid I'd end up with big manly arms if I lifted heavy. I was wrong. :smile:

The more I lifted, the smaller my arms looked. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/404861-more-of-those-scary-scary-girl-muscles
  • MaddameKat
    MaddameKat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Consider also ' long lean muscle' its a fitness phrase developed by people who want your money.. it does not exist.

Every muscle ( apart from you tounge) is attached at both ends, therefore fixed. Pilates/ Yoga will not give you long lean muscle.

I would take the advice give and carry on with the weights.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Since you still have weight lose lose I'm guessing you still have some fat covering and mixed with your muscles. Your arms will get smaller as you lose weight.

However, most people LIKE muscles. I'd love to encourage you to embrace them. They are fabulously sex.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I gotta see a picture of this. It takes seriously heavy lifting, lot of dedication (years of training), and great genetics for a woman do develop big arms naturally.

Losing muscle is easy. Eat at a calorie deficit and don't lift heavy = muscle atrophy, but who would want that? You will either end up looking emaciated or skinny-fat.

My arms aren't like that yet, I notice the difference and it looks huge to me.. I want to prevent it thats all.

And i don't really want to be weak.. its just i don't want hufely defined muscles on my arms.. i want dainty lady arms because i've never had them.

I don't know how much more clear people can make it.. YOU ARE NOT GOING TO GET HUGE MUSCLY ARMS UNLESS YOU TRAIN FOR IT!!!!!!!

I've been lifting weights for over a year now, eating at a calorie deficit, and my body has done nothing but get smaller... I went from a size 10 to 4, and my arms are tighter and smaller because I have muscle in there and not fat.

Once you lose the fat you will see smaller arms... muscles are not a bad thing.. embrace them.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    **sigh**
  • mickipedia
    Options

I can only assume you are referring to yourself here! People keep telling you the same thing, the FAT IS MAKING THEM LOOK FAT! Not muscle. If you want skinny little arms, get skinny all over nad they will follow.

If you think you somehow manage to create man arms, please share how you did it! I work my *kitten* off to have well defined arms and have for years, yet don't have man-hulk arms! I would love to see pictures and know YOUR secrets!

No actually I'm referring to the unhelpful comment he made. If you read my post first you'll see that I'm asking how to stop them getting any bigger as i don't want to stop training because as i said in my other post I don't want to be weak.. I just don't want them to look too big once the fat is gone and it is defined muscle.

Read the whole thing before you jump in and tell me I'm not listening to people. I know what is making my arms look big at the moment because I am not an idiot, what I am asking is for a way to stop them looking muscly once I've lost the fat.
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    the only thing i can guess by reading her posts, is that she doesn't want arms that have any kind of muscular look to them. none.

not even michelle obama arms.......
  • mickipedia
    Options

I don't know how much more clear people can make it.. YOU ARE NOT GOING TO GET HUGE MUSCLY ARMS UNLESS YOU TRAIN FOR IT!!!!!!!

I've been lifting weights for over a year now, eating at a calorie deficit, and my body has done nothing but get smaller... I went from a size 10 to 4, and my arms are tighter and smaller because I have muscle in there and not fat.

Once you lose the fat you will see smaller arms... muscles are not a bad thing.. embrace them.

I get that.. I'm saying that to me my arms look big.. they always have been big and I want them to be skinny.

I really wish people would stop condescending others in these forums.. its becoming a pretty spiteful place.

It's been explained to me and I'm fine with that. People are now just repeating themselves to try and make it seem as though I'm ignoring everyone's advice.

AND FOR THE RECORD WRITING IN CAPS LOCK JUST MAKES YOU SEEM VERY RUDE AND DOESN'T HELP GET YOUR POINT ACROSS.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Okay... here's the facts.

You don't have muscular arms. WHY?
    My personal experience.

When I was strict powerlifting, anti-strict eating healthy, I was super overweight. I reached 200lbs. I grew large arms BUT they were still hard enough, with a nice line across the middle... so I didn't realize they were mainly fat. I had 16 inch biceps! I was so proud of them, but didn't realize that they weren't 16 inches of muscle!!!

Now, I have 13 inch arms, they are MUCH tighter, I don't have "bingo wings" as you put it and they look more defined than my 16 inch arms did.

I had 3 inches of fat, making my arms look bigger. Not the muscle. The way they shrunk, was burning off that fat.

Stick to what you are doing, more muscle in those arms will make the fat burn faster!!!