Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don't lol.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I used to run with a hand held ampiphod, but found that my form is better with nothing in my hands - I now have a Nathan Trail Belt with two bottles. In hot summer on long training runs of 15+ miles, I use a camel pack.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I run a regular route along the beach and it's never longer than 75 minutes. I'm fine without water. In the summer luckily there are water bubblers outside at a few points along the boardwalk if I really work up a thirst, but most times I am fine till I get home.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Part of the reason you don't need to drink during shorter runs is that as your body burns glycogen, the muscle releases water into your system. So, your total fluid loss is only about half of what you are sweating. Even during longer runs in cool weather you can get by without drinking anything.

Many people drink way to much when running which is why they have to stop for a bathroom break. The body is shedding the unneeded water.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Depending on the temperature and the length of run, I will A) try to hydrate first so I don't have to worry about it, B) if it's too warm or I'm running too long for that, I will carry a water bottle. I personally don't like to wear the belts or anything like that, they bother me; or C) if one bottle won't be enough, I will put several bottles in our mailbox and run different routes that keep bringing me past the house so I can drop off the empty bottle and take a full one, and maybe drink a little more.
  • MelissaSue612
    MelissaSue612 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When I first started running, I was afraid to run without water, because I was used to having it. I found that a small plastic water bottle (just a regular brand or store brand) worked well. I didn't actually drink that much during my runs, so I'd just have half a bottle to sip a bit while I ran and then a full bottle for after my run. I found that holding a heavy bottle during my run hurt my hand - and it was just a pain.

Now that I'm more experienced with my running, I don't usually bring water with me, since I don't usually do more than 5 or 6 miles. I love to go out on trails and carrying a bottle out in the woods is a pain. I just have a full one in the car to have for the drive home.

Enjoy getting outside! Running outside (on the trails) is where I fell in love with running and felt like I could actually call myself a runner. :)
  • catcher_in_the_pie
    Options
    I don't bother bringing water with me for runs shorter than 90 minutes, unless it's super hot and humid outside. If I plan to be on my feet for 2 hours or more, I usually carry my hand-held bottle that has a strap for your hand. I also have a waist pack that stores one water bottle on my back, but the sloshing of the water and the pressure on my stomach were annoying. But some people prefer a waist pack, because they hate carrying anything in their hands. So unless you try them out, you won't know for sure which hydration system will work best for you.

For trail runs, I'll usually carry my Nathans hydration pack/vest that can hold 2 L of water.