Do people even look at diaries before they comment?

Options

Replies

• bmacholiday
    bmacholiday Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    If my friends have their diaries open for me to view I consider it an invitation to look and see how they are doing. If they didn't want comments their diary would be closed.

I don't comment on closed diaries and always look at open diaries before commenting, I don't want to congratulate someone for staying under calories but eating junk food all day. If I can't think of something constructive so say, I say nothing.

I've also deleted friends, depending on the situation for very low calorie intake.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    No...I'm far to preoccupied and busy trying to take this huge , heavy, bothersome log out of my own eye, so that I can see more clearly to **try** to take the speck out of someone else eye. In other words, I'm focusing on my own personal business and issues first, rather than being a critic and gossip. That used to come so easy to me, but now that I'm living a New LIFE style, I find this is one area (being a busybody (with the intention of helping), being a gossip (which I used to love to listen to and spread) and judge, jury and executioners in everybody's life...except my own.

I'm so GLAD those days are gone for me, forever! So long story short answer--NO, I don't look at people's diary's to approve or disapprove of their choices before I comment. I want to keep a very limited number of friends-and be an encouragement/example when I can to those limited number of friends and keep my lips sealed and pray for them when I can't.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I rarely comment on diaries at all because I don't have the time to read through every one of my friend's food diaries, and even if I did, I don't know what's right for each individual so I really don't want to comment either way. I do try to comment when people go over their calories just to say great job on logging though, because a lot of people need that as they are embarassed or disappointed about it. I think most people around MFP do comment without reading the diaries though. Bummer..
  • bobbin1
    Options
    I agree that if you truly want help on this site you would open your diary. If you are honest with yourself you are recording all food put on into your mouth and if your friends are truly your friends they should be honest and say if they think there is an area where you could improve, good or bad. You choose these friends so listen.
  • Cccaroline
    Cccaroline Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I try and comment on everyone's day if I can. I don't comment every single day, but I do most days. For me, it's all about encouraging my mfp pals. I comment on all activity that gets posted. I do some most mornings and evenings, but it is very time conusming, so I don't always have time to open everyone's diaries every day, so sometimes I will just put "well done" or something. If someone's had a day of poor choices (in my opinion!) or has a very low cals count, I'll try and make my comment allude to what I think, but still try and say something encouraging.

I'm here to try and improve my eating habits and effect a lifestyle change, so I can loose weight and maintain that loss. I think that's what most of my mfp pals are trying to do too, so I think the crux of this is to encourage, and get encouragement on eachothers eating habits as well as other activities.

For me, this is a big reason why I've been successful this time, and just knowing that others are encouraging me (even if it's just a well done) is awesome:)
  • rdsxgrl28
    rdsxgrl28 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I just joined last week so I haven't really looked at too many diaries. I think it would be interesting though.

I made mine public so the nutritionist can look at it. If she thinks I am being unhealthy I am sure I will hear it LOL!! I have yet to hit a "calorie" goal, 1285 seems like alot to me. I look more at my protein & carbs to see if I am on track, if they are healthy I am good.

I know my workouts on 2 days a week are HUGE - like almost 1500 calories. Those are days I do trainer & cardio, so numbers can be deceptive. As long as a certified trainer & nutritionist think I am good - I guess I am.

I think I would welcome comments in a constructive helpful way though.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I never comment unless I've had a look in a friends diary. Maybe these friends just condone that lifestyle. I have to say I find it hard to say anything harsh but if I didn't quite agree I wouldn't leave a positive comment. If I was really concerned I would send a private message.
  • Melsy7
    Melsy7 Posts: 30
    Options
    Are you sure they are even logging every calorie? That's my problem. But I've finally made a vow to myself that if I don't feel like logging it, or it's too difficult to log, I shouldn't eat it. That usually means the embarrassing little things I snack on here and there that completely ruin my progress.
  • cPT_Helice
    Options
    It just feels like my comments are drowned out in a sea of "well dones".

Absolutely I wish mfp would change the display to "X is within Y% of their target net cals today". Would be a much better celebration.

YUP!!!!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I try to have friends with similar weight loss strategies. I think I've had a couple with really low calories, and I deleted them. I don't comment on diaries unless I have time to actually look at them.

But I'm never anywhere near my calorie goal because I like to have it set to "maintain" so that the number remaining at the end of the day is my deficit. So if it says I have 500 calories remaining, that means I met the 1 lb goal. I worry that people will see that and think I'm under eating. lol
  • Mellocare
    Mellocare Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If my friends have their diaries open to friends, I look before commenting. That's mostly because I feel like we can offer each other the best support if we actually MEAN what we say and know how these other person's REALLY doing.
    But most of my friends have closed diaries. So for them I just give them the benefit of the doubt and give the encouragement that I can. :)
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I do kind of hate the way MFP seems to "celebrate" being under your calorie goal by posting it on your wall. I kind of wish it just said "Suzie finished her food log for today". Then you could look at it to see how the person did. Personally I think undereating by 900 calories is a lot worse than overeating by 25 calories.

COMPLETELY AGREE! This is what it should do: "Suzie finished her food log for today and was within 54 calories from her goal." Going over or under some here or there isn't a big deal.

Edit: I replied without reading the rest of the posts first, and others have already said as much but with a percentage. That's probably better or at least as good, I think.
  • G30Grrl
    G30Grrl Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Absolutely I wish mfp would change the display to "X is within Y% of their target net cals today". Would be a much better celebration.
    What a great idea!
    I think I have some pretty awesome MFP friends, as they DO tend to read my diary when they comment, and even on days I have gone over by 50 or so calories, I get tons of encouragement about what a good day it was nutritionally. I LOVE my MFP pals!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I never praise anyone for being under unless I look at the diary. Half of the people who WERENT under actually ate better. You won't see a "WTG" from me if you had mcdonalds for breakfast and drank diet soda the rest of the day, sorry.
  • jimmie25
    jimmie25 Posts: 266
    Options
    I delete people that have continually unhealthy diaries (low calories).

same here
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    do they comment without even opening the diary?

This.

Interestingly, I tend to auto-delete pretentious jerks who offer unsolicited advice. Funny how the world balances.
  • erinw1011
    erinw1011 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I had a friend on here who was new and I had been logging for a while. I noticed on her diary that while she was eating very healthy, she would only net between 300 and 600 calories a day. Before I started really getting into this I had no idea about net calories and eating exercise calories. I sent her a polite inbox message trying to be helpful, made it clear that it was just a suggestion based on what I had learned. She never wrote back, then about a week later she deleted me. I wasn't trying to be judgmental, just trying to help her since she was new. If she had replied "Thanks for the info but I'm going to keep doing it how I'm doing it" that would have been fine and I would have shut up. People were constantly commenting on how she did such a great job.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Always.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I don't really look at too many people's diets or diaries... Of course, I don't praise people for being under. I praise people for exercising though or losing weight. Most of my friends are fairly healthy though. I choose them based on similar goals.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    i look, and yes I tell people that have calories set too low excatly what I think!