Keeping within calorie range

Options
I am having a hard time staying within the alloted calorie range, I havent been on here in a while. While i have 1200 calories, how do you keep from getting hungry (this is the reason that i havent been able to stick with it for long). Oatmeal, bananas and that type of food does not keep me full like most people. I guess my body is strange. But there are times that i feel like i am starving to death. and i will drink the water like everyone says but it still does not help.

But when you are eating during the day, how does everyone else stay on track with their calories? What type of things do you eat and how often. I have an office job and I am trying to exercise. ( I know i can have my exercise calories back)
Can someone please enlighten a confused woman, Please :D

Replies

• carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    If you are having a hard time complying with the 1200 calories diet, it may be more beneficial for you to choose a slower rate of loss. Base your meals and snacks around protein to help to feel full longer. You can even try eating all of your calories in 2 or 3 meals so you feel full, instead of spread out over the entire day.
  • sarajo16
    sarajo16 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm on 1200 a day too and its so hard! If I don't exercise I find it really hard to stay within the cals. I have a terrible sweet tooth so I snack on chocolate which def doesn't help. I try to eat low GI food http://www.the-gi-diet.org/lowgifoods/ they keep me fuller for longer so I start with porridge (oatmeal) usually have mixed grain pitta (with ham and cheese) for lunch and brown rice (chicken/beef curry) for dinner. Fruit, extra veg on the side and diet coke! Diet coke is my saviour!! :)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. When I was on 1200 I literally felt like I was starving to death. I felt cold and faint all the time. It just isn't enough calories to live on for any length of time.
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I have 1400 calories, I cut way down when I started. The first couple weeks I was hungry all the time but my body has adjusted and what I am eating seems to be more sustaining. Eat lots of veggies, volume without so many calories :) Good Luck!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    1) Your ticker says you need to lose 84 lbs (assuming it's correct) -- 1200 might be awfully low for what you currently need. It might be better to choose a slower rate of loss in return for something you actually stick to. In other words -- -1 lb/week that you actually DO is better than having a higher goal rate of loss that you just feel guilty about not meeting.

2) I have mine set to 1440. If I don't exercise to get more calories, it's very hard to stay under it, and I have to be really careful about eating filling foods. If I weren't able to exercise as much as I do, I'd set it higher.
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I am also on the 1200 calories...It is hard...most days I am just like you...starving to death, constantly thinking of food..and I drink a ton of water, and it does NOT keep me full.
    Some days, I am fine, and dont have a problem.
    I feel like I eat alot of food. I mean, at dinner, my plate is piled high, but very low in calories. Take a look at my diary, it may help give you some insight.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Try working out your BMR - there are online calculators. This is the number of calories you need to exist as you are. If you consume less calories or increase your activity, you will lose weight. If your ticker's right then then you need to keep motivated to achieve it - better to consume rather more calories than the 1200 as long as you still lose weight. Even if it's relatively slow seeing progress will help keep you motivated. I don't feel satisfied on oatmeal and the like either, but do find I have more energy and fewer hunger pangs if I have more protein, so this might be worth a try.

I see you work in an office - if it's at all possible I would make and take your own lunch and have only that (maybe spread out as two small meals) with no snacks - eat everything else at home. That way you can control the calories, won't be in shops buying food when you're hungry and might be tempted, and you can include things you like to eat!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    cut out carbs and it'll be hard to get up to that many calories :p - just my experience.

even if you just cut down on refined sugars, or high glycemic index foods, chances are you won't be hungry as much.
    increase fiber to feel fuller for longer.
    snack on things like cottage cheese and celery.
    have several small meals / snacks throughout the day - it takes less calories to never get hungry rather than eat when you're starving...
  • kezell83
    kezell83 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I am so happy to see that I am not the only one that is having trouble with this. Thank you to all for your responses, they have helped out alot. It is greatly appreciated.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    either lower your weekly weight loss goal as was already stated or exercise more (you get to eat more when you exercise) or I would suggest a combo of both.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    A couple things that help some people with satiety:

- get plenty of protein
    - eat lots of smaller meals a day

If you're constantly hungry, even after the first few weeks, that's a red flag. Either your settings/goals are wrong or you're not eating right.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I don't have any trouble. I eat every few hours, I'm active every day and I don't really have trouble reaching NET 1260.

I also eat clean. I eat whole healthy foods. That is the best way to eat all day long, never be hungry and 'eat the rainbow' as they say to do.

The experts say it is best to eat every 2-3 hours.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    If you're eating healthy, then try upping your calories a bit (change your weight loss goals), even though you may lose slower, you are less likely to get burnt out
  • nersgirl
    Options
    i haven't been doing this very long, but yes 1200 is hard. sometimes i let myself have a few more calories, but not everyday. it seams to help. Chewing gum seems to help me as well??
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I know what you mean. When I was on 1200 I literally felt like I was starving to death. I felt cold and faint all the time. It just isn't enough calories to live on for any length of time.

Not true. I'm 5'6" and I'm 140 lbs. I'm very active. I'm actually taking in WAY over 1200 but I'm NET 1200. So, on an average day I burn 400-500 calories and actually eat all day long thus NETTING the 1200.

Don't make a general statement that it's not enough to live on. I'm not overweight and it really is because I eat clean and eat whole foods.
  • TattieWeasle
    Options
    Soup! I'm on 1200 calories and yes it is painful. But I use bouillion stock as a soup at 12 calories a cup. I also eat masses of lettuce with grated parmesan ( 1g goes a Looooong way) and it helps me think I am full.
    I also eat a lot of carrots...
    I do not cut out chocolate or indeed nor do I cut out wine etc I just have soda spritzers half and half. I never have milk in anything nor do I have any fizzy drinks - just water and black tea as I find it is drinks that have the most hidden calories.
    Good luck!
  • trish1960
    Options
    Eat as much as you want of low calorie food. Take cucumber slices, lettuce, celery, cauliflower - any of those type things with you to work. Last night I ate 4 cucumbers & 4 tomato's for dinner and I was so full I felt like throwing up. Sometimes you just have to keep trying different things until you find what works for your body.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Don't cut out chocolate. Just eat dark chocolate. It's very good for you.

Also, don't eat empty calories (diet soda, diet iced tea etc.) it just makes you crave a ton of sugar later on because you did not satisfy an actual craving for sugar.

Check out www.snack-girl.com and www.dailygarnish.com for healthy recipe ideas. Also, buy Everyday Food magazine--makes it very easy to log.

You would not believe how MUCH food I pack in my body each day for 1260 NET.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Eat as much as you want of low calorie food. Take cucumber slices, lettuce, celery, cauliflower - any of those type things with you to work. Last night I ate 4 cucumbers & 4 tomato's for dinner and I was so full I felt like throwing up. Sometimes you just have to keep trying different things until you find what works for your body.

4 cukes and 4 tomatoes for dinner...until you felt sick? So, no protein? What about adding in a lean source of non-meat protein like quinoa? No doctor would advise eating 4 cukes and 4 tomatoes and calling that 'dinner'. That is not a balanced meal.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I am having a hard time staying within the alloted calorie range, I havent been on here in a while. While i have 1200 calories, how do you keep from getting hungry (this is the reason that i havent been able to stick with it for long). Oatmeal, bananas and that type of food does not keep me full like most people. I guess my body is strange. But there are times that i feel like i am starving to death. and i will drink the water like everyone says but it still does not help.

But when you are eating during the day, how does everyone else stay on track with their calories? What type of things do you eat and how often. I have an office job and I am trying to exercise. ( I know i can have my exercise calories back)
    Can someone please enlighten a confused woman, Please :D

Bananas are high in carbs and excellent for bursts of energy, however, they will not keep you filled for long. Personally, I find foods high in protein keep me full and help me to wait for my next meal, rather than snack inbetween.

Eggs and chicken are two very good, protein foods.