Zumba Lovers talk to me! bring pics if you got''em!

Options

Replies

• juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba, Take a class once a week, but I'm considering buying an at home game. My boyfriend has every game console there is, so for those of you with X-box/ Wii/PS3 games, how do you find them?

Knowing Kinect i think that would be the best, since i saw for Wii you have to strap the controller to your waist. Any thoughts?
  • jdenny23
    Options
    I have been doing zumba for about three weeks, and i absolutely love it, i dont do it on the wii or xbox, but in a class that i can commit to. I look forward to going to class, and i hate missing it, i would suggest going to a class because you will find other people like you who want to lose weight just as bad, and have an urge for motivation!
  • 519harley
    519harley Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Zumbachicklet, You look great!!! Fabulous job
  • tatertotfishstick
    tatertotfishstick Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    1 month in... I do Zumba 3 days a week and I LOVE it! It'll still take me a few weeks to learn the moves better. I go to 2 seperate instructors, so their classes are completely different. If my gym offered it, I would got 7 days a week. Zumba has definately made me stronger, I started running and couldn't believe my endurance after 1 month of Zumba. I am down 10 lbs in 30 days! And as a beginner... it's not hard, just jump in and don't think about it. So much fun!
  • honeydoozy
    honeydoozy Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't wanna hijack your thread I'm just curious from the ladies who go to Zumba regularly- how difficult is it to pickup for someone who has absolutely no coordination? I've been wanting to try Zumba myself but I'm terrified!

<<-- this girl over here... ridiculously uncoordinated. Dangerously so, maybe. :blushing: The thing is, in a Zumba class, it really doesn't matter. Sure, the people in the front rows make it look easy, as they shimmy and step, but in the back row we are kindred spirits. Things are flying every which way, and it's all good. The KEY (and this is a struggle for me to remember, even still) is to not get too intense about getting it *right* and really enjoy the movement. The rest will come.

I think it's kind of like learning a new language. At first you stumble through, and get it all backwards. The more you expose yourself and work at it, the easier and more natural it gets. The instructor makes ALL the difference, so try a few until you find one you just really groove with. Have fun!
  • free2live72003
    Options
    I was never one who liked group classes and I have absolutely no rhythm or dance moves. i was always the "tomboy" that played basketball, and softball---DANCE---never!!!!!

But, about 8 months ago as part of my weight loss plan i decided to give ZUMBA a try based on the rrecommendation of a 17 yr old friend who loved it--by the way I am 52 y/o.

I have two bad knees (Dr. said I will need to have them replaced) and a bad back.

But, I decided i would go and just commit to "JUST KEEP MOVING" for the entire hour long class.

Well, it wasn't pretty--I went left when everyone else went right...did one step for four of theirs... no sexy Latin moves coming from this body. I was stiff like a robot, scared to death that i would hurt my knees, or further embarrass myself......you get the picture, right?

Flash forward 7 months--I am having a blast. I attend ZUMBA classes 5-6 hours a week. I never allow myself to miss unless there is an appointment that i just can't get changed.

My ZUMBA class is mostly women my age ( a few older a few younger) about 10-12 of us is all --we are all very accepting of each others "issues" and are committed to just working up a good sweat regardless of how silly we look or how many steps we got right or wrong Each class there is tons of laughter and joking that circles the room.

I have lost about 30 lbs-but, had already lost about 130lbs before I ever started ZUMBA so didn't have too much more to lose. More importantly is that my knees and back are tremendously more flexible now and I can move as fast and nearly as well as all the others in the class. I am still not very coordinated or graceful, but no one cares--least of all me. I truly never thought my body could change so much. My muscles in my legs, arms, and trunk are toned and firm compared to before. I used to have huge saddlebags (basketball sized) and now have only a small pudge on my hips. I have a remarkably strong core compared to before. I no longer get really winded or fatiqued as my endurance for exercise has skyrocketed.

Our classes are a fun combination of Zumba, step, Zumba toning with weights and bellydancing--but, most mostly traditional ZUMBA. Our instructor throws in fun songs as well to fit the various season changes--like Christmas songs, Auld Lang Syne for New Years , and love songs for Valentine's Day.

Get out there ladies and try ZUMBA--you are not too old. Just keep moving--eventually the steps will come together and you won't have to work so hard at it. I never thought that I would leave a hard long day at work and GLADLY go exercise instead of going straight home to sit in my recliner and eat junk food in front of the TV. But, I do!!!! And it surprises my socks off still to this day.

(Highest weight that I was willing to get on the scales=325lbs / Current weight= 162lbs. / Goal weight = 150lbs)
  • cjrose18
    cjrose18 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love Zumba. I took it for 2 years before Zumba got cool! :) It helped to keep me active and I believe I lost inches. I am actually starting back with the class next week.

I am not very coordinated, but it is really easy to pick up. It is more feel than technique and if you have a good instructor, that is half the battle.
  • Liz915
    Liz915 Posts: 123
    Options
    I love Zumba and go twice a week to a class. My instructor is awesome, she has a nice mix of current music and latin music and incorporates some traditional zumba moves with dance moves. We really shake our booties!! :) I have Zumba for the Wii, too, and love it, though having it for Kinect would be so much better and so fun!! I recommend going to a class if you can, and supplementing with the game or DVD. There's nothing like 'doing it live'! Have fun and good luck!!

ditto!

I LOVE Zumba, just got done playing it on the Wii & I have a class tonight at the gym. :) I would definitely say that I like the classes better than the wii game, but the game is great too - it's just that the class is alot more fun. It really is like a party!
  • Liz915
    Liz915 Posts: 123
    Options
    Oh, and I have lost 14 lbs in about 6 weeks of doing Zumba at least 3x a week (and of course, eating right as well)
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    25543922856305799_KTovAhx4_c.jpg

:laugh:

Now I know people are watching me...LOL
  • jackieb1977
    jackieb1977 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I don't wanna hijack your thread I'm just curious from the ladies who go to Zumba regularly- how difficult is it to pickup for someone who has absolutely no coordination? I've been wanting to try Zumba myself but I'm terrified!

lol i have been doing zumba once a week foir the past month, i really have no co-ordination at all my feet go one way my arms do sumat else, i didnt realise this until i started doing zumba but dont let this put you off i am a very big girl and i love it , it gets easier every week i go.
    i was hesitant at first dancing with ppl i didnt know but i could get addicted to it, its not like an exercise class there are a mix of age ranges from 15 yrs right up to i think about 70 in my class. i dont feel self concious even when i get the steps wrong.
    you must must try this, iff i could go more often then i would.
  • Alonnea
    Alonnea Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've never tried the games but I love the classes! Don't be embarrassed. Nobody is there to judge we're just there to dance our butts off and have a fun workout :)
  • TheDreadedJynx
    Options
    I am doing the newest DVD set right now and planning on starting classes when I get back home. I absolutely love it! I felt like a werdo at first, but once you've done it for a while the steps aren't too hard. The first week I lost four pounds but I'm not counting on that rate for good.
  • bfl2010
    bfl2010 Posts: 33 Member
    Options

LOL!! thats so me
  • NurseAshoRN
    NurseAshoRN Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I started Zumba classes almost 3 months ago. To say that I'm addicted would be an understatement!!! I go three times a week (schedule allowing) to two different classes. One class is very latin inspired. The other is a pretty good mix of latin and newer dance songs/moves. One thing I will say is be careful about the shoes you wear! I wore nike shox in a carpeted room for zumba and had an ankle injury. I am also interested in the zumba toning class... does anyone go to one of these classes?
  • honeydoozy
    honeydoozy Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I started Zumba classes almost 3 months ago. To say that I'm addicted would be an understatement!!! I go three times a week (schedule allowing) to two different classes. One class is very latin inspired. The other is a pretty good mix of latin and newer dance songs/moves. One thing I will say is be careful about the shoes you wear! I wore nike shox in a carpeted room for zumba and had an ankle injury. I am also interested in the zumba toning class... does anyone go to one of these classes?

I do a regular Zumba class twice a week, and a Zumba Toning class twice a week - all with the same instructor.

The Zumba Toning is less "dancey" but still sweat-inspiring. You use these cool handweights that look/feel like maracas - either 1 lb or 2.5 (?) lbs. Lots of arm movements, squatting while shaking and shimmying - very fun, just not so complicated step-wise. If you can find a class, you should give it a try!
  • cbashful
    cbashful Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I love ZUMBA!!!!! i started off by doing a few videos on youtube which along with MFP helped me loose 20 lbs in two months. I still use the videos off of youtube because i am so fearful of going to an actual class lol. i burn about 600 calories doing 60 miinutes of zumba, and usually end up soaked from sweating so much. I never was the type to love exercising but now that I found something I enjoy, I just can not wait to get home to work out....I do not have pictures but i log my exercises. you will absolutely love it.
  • susanwair
    susanwair Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I have been doing Zumba for over a year now. I go to classes at my gym. You can easily burn over 600 calories per 60 minute work out.
    It is addictive. I used to do it about 5 days a week- but recently just 3 days a week.
    You can really lose weight and tone up. I noticed most of the change around my middle- smaller waist line and more defined abs and in my legs- more muscle tone.

I don't have pics..sorry.

Zumba ROCKS....keep sweating and I am glad you "joined the party"...
  • unicorn1081
    unicorn1081 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hey! I don't have pics but I can tell you, I LOVE Zumba and have some fabulous results to brag about from it! I've lost 24 lbs. in 2.5 months, starting at 183, now I'm down to 159! My mom was trying to get me to work out with her forever, but every work out she brought me to just wasn't for me. She brought me to a Zumba class one day, and I instantly signed up for an unlimited membership, and began a low calorie diet the next day. I know I've put in some hard work to get this far, but if it wasn't for Zumba, I don't think I would have even started my journey. Let me know how you feel about the Kinect version. I was thinking of purchasing a Kinect just for this game. LOL

I love it! I've only been doing it for a few days, but it's amazing! I don't know about classes, but this game is crazy challenging and high intensity, so i'm syked! I love that in order to get points and achievements, you can't just flop around. you have to really get the steps as correct as possible. the kinect follows you and you see your shadow on the screen as you are dancing/ working out. There are 3 accuracy levels: nice, hot, and Zumba! obviously you want to get Zumbas. for example, if you get 5 zumbas in a row in the learn the steps mode on both the slow and normal speeds, you unlock achievements and pass to the next moves. You really gotta push yourself to do the steps exactly right to get all 5 in a row. there are low medium and high intensity routines and classes. There are short medium and long classes. tons of ways to play and bust your butt to win points and stuff! I love it. I will definitely go to a class when I can.

thanks everyone for telling us your stories! anyone else care to share? :flowerforyou:
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options

So true! I tried doing this dance cardio workout and I think I looked worse than Ace Venture.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!