Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Getting compliments from Gay vs Straight Men

Replies

• Lizabee84
    Lizabee84 Posts: 346 Member
    A lesbian once said she liked my flannel shirt. I took it as a compliment.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT82FKzw3Copx5iBuuMrvn7E4sxfVI0a1Vwla_cRXdP5gB7K5bs

:laugh: I would say I like your flannel too. I am straight. Though I do wear flannel when going to a shooting. I feel a little more country that way :laugh:
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    I wasn't aware there was really a difference in a compliment when it came to the person's sexual orientation. I mean sure we could argue the intent behind the compliment or the way it's said or what's being complimented but at face value it's all the same. I've never known guys to be as ready to compliment as girls (and I've had a number of male friends, straight, bi, and gay) so to me for a lot of guys it would have to take something to get them to verbally express that they think you're pretty or like your dress or whatever it happens to be. Unless the guy's a skuzzball but generally those types you can tell from what they say that they are.

And going along the lines of someone mentioning women being guilty of "complimenting just to get sex", yes I've seen them. A best friend of mine was rather guilty of it. It's treated as a double standard, though. Men obviously always want poon-tang when they compliment a girl yet a girl, unless she's seen through the eyes of a guy's girlfriend, never seems to get this.

If the compliment makes you uncomfortable, put distance between you and this person. They can't 'score' unless you let them.
  • Lizabee84
    Lizabee84 Posts: 346 Member
    To me, as long as it's a genuine compliment, I'm flattered. No matter if it's from a gay man or a straight man. But if the compliment is overly sexual or just on the creepy side, it's 1. probably only coming from the straight guy (seeing as a gay man isn't trying to get down my pants) and 2. just inappropriate.

On another note, when I get complimented by another woman (gay or straight) I take it as a HUGE compliment, because a woman won't just go compliment you unless she really means it.

100% agree ^^^^^^
  • MissVCI
    MissVCI Posts: 277 Member
    I haven't ever had a compliment payed to me by a stranger :[

I find that very hard to believe. You are very pretty.

When I'm walking down the street in sweatpants, guys whistle and call me hot (granted it's unwanted, but it still counts as a compliment)
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member

So, guys, don't stop giving us compliments, just make them genuine and simple, like "Wow, you look amazing/beautiful/gorgeous". Not, "hot dang, you have a nice rack".

This made me laugh out loud at work. LOL
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    If a gay man compliments me I assume he's just being polite, if a straight man does I really don't care.
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member

When I'm walking down the street in sweatpants, guys whistle and call me hot (granted it's unwanted, but it still counts as a compliment)

Nope, I've never had that, I'm being 100% honest, I'd like it to happen, it would make me feel good for the day if I got complimented on.
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member

Nope, I've never had that, I'm being 100% honest, I'd like it to happen, it would make me feel good for the day if I got complimented on.

Do you not leave your house!? You are beautiful.
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member

I'm in college & walking around town all week except Friday & the weekend. I'm always waiting for someone to say something but they never do. It happens to my friends all the time though :[
  • MissVCI

I'm in college & walking around town all week except Friday & the weekend. I'm always waiting for someone to say something but they never do. It happens to my friends all the time though :[

Men are idiots!!

even though i'm skeptical and blow off most compliments I get from men I pass on the streets and bars, they are a great confident boost.

p.s. You need to find a gay man stat! lol.
  • repoman150
    repoman150 Posts: 42 Member
    well....heres a compliment from the other side :)
  • MissVCI
    i'm bored, i want more debating or comments.
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    To discount someone's words based on their sexual preference is being prejudiced.

It's arrogant to assume you understand the entirety of someone's being based on just one aspect of the individual.

If you get a compliment, just take it for what it is worth.
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    well for me if i compliment a woman its genuine. Using compliments to express interest is some amateur, if i wanna get to know you better i will approach you as such, just as if your perfume caught my attention i will say so.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    A lesbian once said she liked my flannel shirt. I took it as a compliment.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT82FKzw3Copx5iBuuMrvn7E4sxfVI0a1Vwla_cRXdP5gB7K5bs

I like your shirt

LMAO...This is hilarious!
  • MissVCI
    well for me if i compliment a woman its genuine. Using compliments to express interest is some amateur, if i wanna get to know you better i will approach you as such, just as if your perfume caught my attention i will say so.

i had this creepy guy at a club come from behind and sniff me and then told me i smelled like heaven. I immediately ran away.
  • ReverendJim
    ReverendJim Posts: 260 Member
    I used to get hit on a lot by gay men when I was a bit younger. I am not gay, but it didn't bother me, as they were generally well behaved. Back then, I was slim, fit and moderately handsome. Now, at my age, I'm almost just hoping SOMEONE will hit on me! It's like getting carded for alcohol - those days are long past. :)
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member

i had this creepy guy at a club come from behind and sniff me and then told me i smelled like heaven. I immediately ran away.

well of course there are exceptions lol
  • MissVCI

well of course there are exceptions lol

very true lmao
  • Italianyc84
    Italianyc84 Posts: 192 Member

paige, even though I disagreed with you greatly in that other thread...I think you're beautiful! truly! In fact, you're so pretty that if you haven't heard that from strangers on a regular basis, that means they're intimidated by you.