Planet Fitness

Options
A new gym, Planet Fitness, is opening close to my house. This is the Gym advertised on the Biggest Loser. Just wondering is anyone a member at this gym and would you recommend it?

Thanks for your imput!! :wink:

Replies

• Jbadiam
    Jbadiam Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I love it (Planet Fitness) ... they have 2 plans $10.00 or $20.00 a month. I perfer the $20.00 because I can take a friend and I can go to any locations. For your basic workout needs this is the place. They don't have pools, saunas and hot tubs... But you get what you pay for !!:smile:
  • osuzorba
    osuzorba Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My wife and I started at planet fitness the day it opened near us, about 14 months ago. We personally really like it, especially for the price. The only issues I see with it are if you want to do really hardcore free weights. Dumbbells only go up to ~75 and at my location all of the barbells are on racks, so it would be impossible to do some lifts with them. My gym stays very business, but I have never had to wait on equipment and it stays very clean.

The cons are no pool, no rock wall, no courts and can't do advanced free weights. Pros are cheap ($10/month), great hours, lots of equipment, clean, friendly and no meat heads using the free weights.

One cool thing is they have a 30min circuit room, I've noticed a lot of beginners use this room until they are more comfortable coming up with their own routine.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm a member. I like it well enough, but I'm starting to outgrow it. My location doesn't have much in the line of free weights, and no squat rack or regular barbells, just a smith machine. Plenty of weight machines, though, and loads of cardio options.

I do the $20 a month option so I can go to one of the two closest locations and drag my husband along as often as I can.
  • luvJOJO
    luvJOJO Posts: 1,881 Member
    Options
    I love it. The one I go to is very clean and has tons of machines, cardio and weight machines! And, you can't beat $10 a month!
  • Vipecap
    Vipecap Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    It's good if you are on a tight budget or if you don't many options for other gyms. I myself wouldn't go there since I dislike there no grunting/lunk alarm policy and their message of no judgement zone while being critical of bodybuilders and powerlifters.
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I love it, especially as I have no need for pools, classes, rock walls or any of the other perks at more expensive gyms.
  • osuzorba
    Options
    I myself wouldn't go there since I dislike there no grunting/lunk alarm policy and their message of no judgement zone while being critical of bodybuilders and powerlifters.

This is what makes it friendly to beginners and non-bodybuilders. Their whole business focuses on getting a lot of average people to sign up, not catering to bodybuilders, this is how they can be so cheap since there are far more average people in the world than bodybuilders.

I personally really like the lunk alarm, makes the gym much more pleasant compared to other gyms I've been a member at. You also don't get the people who take up a bench press for 2 hours, while they do one rep every 15 minutes.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    The one by me has pizza night on Mondays. Really?!?!?!?!? You market yourself to newbies (no heavy weights, no grunting, etc) and you have a pizza night? Losing weight is 90% diet and 10% everything else and you're handing out pizza. I will NEVER be a member there.
  • scott091501
    Options
    I myself wouldn't go there since I dislike there no grunting/lunk alarm policy and their message of no judgement zone while being critical of bodybuilders and powerlifters.

This is what makes it friendly to beginners and non-bodybuilders. Their whole business focuses on getting a lot of average people to sign up, not catering to bodybuilders, this is how they can be so cheap since there are far more average people in the world than bodybuilders.

I personally really like the lunk alarm, makes the gym much more pleasant compared to other gyms I've been a member at. You also don't get the people who take up a bench press for 2 hours, while they do one rep every 15 minutes.

Nice generalization of people who lift heavy weights. LOL. Good job.
  • osuzorba
    Options

What generalization? I didn't generalize anyone in that comment. I complained about the type of people that do one rep, sit around flux their muscles, makes sure everyone is watching them. There are a lot of people at my gym who lift heavy, including me. They just aren't the type that occupy the entire free weight area all day while they do very little actual lifting. I have no problem doing 1RM lifts and taking breaks, I have a problem when people doing it to show off and occupying all of the equipment.
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I love it, especially as I have no need for pools, classes, rock walls or any of the other perks at more expensive gyms.

Agreed. I know enough people with pools that I don't need one at a gym. I don't get home until around 6 and most of the gyms don't have "late" classes. Why would I pay more when I'm not going to use half of the stuff they offer?
  • scott091501
    Options

What generalization? I didn't generalize anyone in that comment. I complained about the type of people that do one rep, sit around flux their muscles, makes sure everyone is watching them. There are a lot of people at my gym who lift heavy, including me. They just aren't the type that occupy the entire free weight area all day while they do very little actual lifting. I have no problem doing 1RM lifts and taking breaks, I have a problem when people doing it to show off and occupying all of the equipment.

Sorry. Just how it came across to me. The gym's marketing and generalizations in thier commercials of bb'ers is way off base.
  • KCalmeyn
    KCalmeyn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I also go to Planet Fitness. I really like it. It has everything I need, the staff is friendly and helpful,and the facility is kept clean. Ours just began offering free training sessions as well. They do have pizza day, but only on the first monday of every month from 5-8p. If you are exercising, why shouldn't you enjoy it. For $10 a month you can't beat it. If you like to tan, get the $20 membership, it includes free tanning.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    A new gym, Planet Fitness, is opening close to my house. This is the Gym advertised on the Biggest Loser. Just wondering is anyone a member at this gym and would you recommend it?

Im a member.

At first I didnt like it- it made a bad impression on me- but now the reasons I didnt like it at first - are why I like it now.

The staff leaves you alone and doesnt walk you through everything- they treat you like an athlete that doesnt need to be babied.
    The equipment all works and there are spray bottles and paper towels everywhere so you can clean up before and after yourself.
    Black preferred membership is $20 a month and includes unlimited fitness training**** <~ awesome- also unlimited tanning, and unlimited use of the massage chairs and red light therapy- both of which are fun for active rest days.
    There is a circuit of machines set up so that if you dont have much time- you can do all ten machines and get an abbreviated total body workout in 30 minutes.

My only beef with PF is that they dont have a fat % scale and sometimes people wont rotate in the circuit express lane.

Other than that- its a gym - to do gym stuff- and it is exactly what I need.

Dang I kinda wanna go now.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I'm not a member, but my sister is and she says it's got pretty much everything you NEED but not everything you could want. Then again, it's like $10 a month or something, so not bad. There aren't classes, or pools, or saunas or anything, but you've got all the basic equipment that you could need and I believe there are trainers on staff to help you out. If it's convenient to you and you're not spoiled (like me), then it's a great choice!

That said, I to go Lifetime Fitness (about a bazillion amenities) and I'm totally spoiled :) As long as it meets your needs, I think Planet Fitness is a really great gym option!
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I am a member and it is well worth it! Lots of equipment, and everyone who attends are respectful and clean the machines.
  • addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    What generalization? I didn't generalize anyone in that comment. I complained about the type of people that do one rep, sit around flux their muscles, makes sure everyone is watching them.

Studies have shown that if you flex the recently worked muscle it helps with a better pump and blood flow in that area better promoting muscle growth. So maybe these flexers are smarter than you think (probably not, but you get the idea)
  • xYumzx
    xYumzx Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Was a former member and lets say i stopped going after a month... it wasnt what I thought a gym should be ... yes its cheap but you get what you pay for..... I just joined a gym LA FITNESS like 20mins from my house BUT OMG it is so worth it i love it, it even has classes its a bit pricey here in NY but prices vary from state to state. I mean I go here and sometimes I dont want to leave the people there keep me motivated because they are there to actually work out and change not to work out and flirt.
  • MelissaE27
    MelissaE27 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I love it... I have the 20.00 plan I can take my daughter and I can tan... you cant beat the price :)
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

I used to use it, loved it