Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• MoreThanMommie
    MoreThanMommie Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    What is the lunk alarm? What does it do?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Maybe Im spoiled because the PF here in NYC is 24/7 3 stories (an express/weights floor, a cardio floor and a hard core weights floor out of everyone's way) comes with classes (choose between class of 5 or class of 20) - there is tanning, massage, red light therapy, 12 free weight areas scattered in various areas, everything is techno-advanced and guys and girls are equals.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Some have squat racks. Some don't. I did some lifting at PF for a little while with nobody bothering me. I would Overhead Press in front of their "No overhead pressing" sign on multiple occasions without anyone fussing. One early morning when I was trying to learn the Power Clean, I had their "personal trainer" come up and tell me that's not allowed and neither were any floor lifts now. I talked to the guy at the front desk about it, and asked why they JUST started to use/enforce these rules, and he told me because the franchise owner came through and made them start enforcing it. I quit later that day.

I'm fine with trying to cater to newbies, and maybe not having some more advanced things like Glute Ham Raise machines or a monolift or even not having a power cage, but to outright ban lifts because they look "intimidating" or they consider them a "bodybuilding or powerlifting exercise" is incredibly stupid.

I also later found out from some research that the Planet Fitness I went to, which had squat racks, bench presses, and barbells, was rather rare, and most of the new ones just have machines and try to act like a smith machine is an adequate replacement to a bench and a squat rack. So yeah, my stance on Planet Fitness: never again.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    What is the lunk alarm? What does it do?

It's a blinking light and siren that goes off, in theory, if someone drops their weights or shows off excessively.

In over a year of going, I've only heard the alarm go off about four times and never witnessed the offensive.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I witnessed the offense once- on the receiving end of it. I was doing seated row and this guy was directly in my line of sight. He started tossing these 25 pound dumbbells from hand to hand, then started tossing them up in the air and catching them. Thne started trying to practice going under and between his legs, he was messing with my counts and trying to get my attention off my workout.

He was barely dressed, making love to the mirror (as opposed to watching proper form- its not watching form when you actually make the kissy faces at your biceps), tossing weights, literally, around the whole area. Then he dropped one eventually and this mom comes RunninG over and pulls the lunk alarm like she'd just been WAITING for him to screw up.

Hahaha

Was worth the extra set
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I think the most important thing that we can all agree on is to do your research before you join a gym. If you want/need classes, make sure the gym offers it. Want a pool? You might end up paying more. Want something simple? Need flexible hours? These are all things you should find out before you sign any contract.
  • sproeber89
    Options
    I joined Planet Fitness recently, love it so far. I've never had the lunk alarm go off in the gym and I asked the manager about it on the tour and she said they're the ones most embarassed to put it on so they avoid it all costs. I love that it has what I need, basic machines, basic strength training and some extras like tanning and the massage chairs. The one I belong to is VERY clean, multiple times I've seen the manager deep cleaning the machines and the bathrooms are spotless. It doesn't have that 'gym' smell.

As for the pizza, tootsie rolls, and bagels, so what? It's a good test for those who don't want them and it's a good thing for someone who wants to give themselves a treat. I like that I can take my fiance with anytime with my black card, it eliminates the two memberships when all he'll use is the cardio equipment.

Overall everyone should make their own choices with a gym, everyone has different preferences and needs for a gym. The good thing is there is a gym for EVERYONE. :)
  • luvJOJO
    luvJOJO Posts: 1,881 Member
    Options
    the lunk alarm goes off all the time at my gym lol
    I never hear exactly what causes it to go off but I can hear the alarm over my music
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I knew about the lunk alarm and judgemental "no judgement" policy, which is why I'd never go.

But overhead pressing is banned? What, even shoulder presses (as opposed to clean and jerk etc)?
  • cardiokitten
    cardiokitten Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I love it, but I guess it really all depends on the individual ones you go to. Mine is super crowded after 4pm, the treadmills are pretty much perpetually full :(
  • mfisher16508
    mfisher16508 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I was for about a year, worked great, its perfect for weight loss, except I love to swim and play racquetball on occasio for fun, sooooo I rejoined the ymca, plus the ymca has childcare free of charge. Its whatever works for you.

mary
  • Phanatical
    Phanatical Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love Planet Fitness. I have a spinning bike at home so I only go for the machines, but I will jump on the elliptical or treadmill here and there. As a young girl I was a bit intimidated at first but everyone at my location is super sweet and willing to help me learn. I also love that as a Black Card member ($20/mo) I can use the Beauty Angel red light therapy, which in only two sessions has faded almost completely away 99% of the scars I have. I don't need to do things like grunt or make loud noises, and I find the Lunk Alarm pretty hilarious (even though it only goes off like once every six trips), so that stuff never bothers me.

My gym is spotless, and I always see them cleaning. I would say almost all of the patrons are great at wiping the machines after use, but I always wipe pre- and post-workout just to be safe.

Also, in my experience they've always been great about cancellations and such. I had to cancel once when I broke both feet (long story) and everything went perfectly smoothly. Overall I love it as it's perfect for my needs.
  • LadyKT
    LadyKT Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Maybe Im spoiled because the PF here in NYC is 24/7 3 stories (an express/weights floor, a cardio floor and a hard core weights floor out of everyone's way) comes with classes (choose between class of 5 or class of 20) - there is tanning, massage, red light therapy, 12 free weight areas scattered in various areas, everything is techno-advanced and guys and girls are equals.

Ooooh....i go to a PF in NJ but i'm a black card member....i also work in NYC so going to the NYC one might not be a problem. Hmmmm.....

*I should add that the one by me (ok it's 15 minutes...but it's the closest) is kinda crummy. Half the weight machines are broken and really the only purpose it serves is cardio. I'm looking for a bit more than cardio....
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Honestly?

I wouldn't go to PF if someone paid me.

For supposedly being a "judgement free zone" their commercials come across as pretty judgmental. Sorry, but just because you are in shape, lift heavy or whatever -- doesn't mean you are an idiot who "picks things up and puts them down". People who are in excellent shape, lift heavy and such are NOT all morons. And to insinuate such is .. well, pretty damn judgmental. And really? A lunk alarm? What the heck? I've been a member of three different gyms (Snap Fitness, a locally owned gym and now Powerhouse Gym) and have heard grunting and such and NEVER have I been intimidated. I was definitely not the "gym type" when I first started and was never put off by someone who was working hard and grunting. That's just plain silly.

And really? A gym who has pizza night and tootsie rolls on the counter? Are you kidding me? Get real.
  • pbxr
    pbxr Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I had a very positive experience with the Planet Fitness in Shelby, NC. I am a member of another gym here in Missouri (there isn't a PF) and had been losing weight for about a year when my family took a trip to see extended family in NC for Christmas. We were to be there for about 2 weeks and I was terrified that with the holiday eating temptations AND the lack of going to the gym that I would start gaining.

There was a billboard for the brand new PF in town very close to my dad's house and they were offering $1 memberships. I went to see them, explained my situation, and asked if I could join for just 2 weeks (would I need to pay additional money, etc.). The manager there was AWESOME. He not only gave me the $1 membership, I got the free t-shirt. After I recommended them to a couple of friends (in the 2 weeks I was there), I got another free t-shirt. I was able to stick to my goals because of that PF and they genuinely seemed more concerned about my fitness goals than making money. I know that all the PF franchises are independently owned, but this one made a great impression on me.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I've belonged to PF for almost 3 years and I love it. I guess it's how each one is run because there are plenty of free weights at the one I belong to. Pizza is only the first Monday night of the month, bagels are only the first Tuesday morning of the month and there are tootsie rolls at the front counter. Nobody is forcing anyone to eat anything. In the time I've been there, I haven't had any of the food they offer. I am usually leaving as they bring the pizza in. It smells good, but self control is a wonderful thing.

Grunting isn't frowned upon at our gym. I do hear the alarm go off occasionally, but have no clue who has done what because I have my music on. The staff is super nice and they greet me by name when I come and go. The gym is clean, the machines are all in well maintained condition and there are plenty of machines to choose from.

I personally have no use for classes or a pool/sauna, so those aren't things I miss. The gym is 2 miles from my office and 1 1/2 miles from my house, so it really couldn't be more convenient.
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I thought BL advertised 24 Hour Fitness?
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Ditto on never ever going to work out there. Exertion is part of exercise, and sometimes you let an involuntary grunt. Just imagine if someone sounded an alarm during sex for letting out an involuntary moan, that's the lunk alarm! PF also brags about how many tootsie rolls, pizza, and bagels they give out each month on their corporate website. It sounds like they're putting temptation in front of you to keep you fat, which in turn will keep you coming to the gym. Plus every commercial makes it seem like body builders are idiots, but in fact they are very intelligent with their diet, nutrition, and fitness programs.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I love that so many people hate Planet Fitness. If everyone thought it was the greatest gym ever, if it catered to everyone, it would be entirely too crowded.

I like it for what it is. A beginner's gym. Want more? Fine. You'll have to pay more. I'm probably on the verge of "outgrowing" it, but I'm not yet willing to give up the super-low cost of PF for a better gym.

And I highly doubt pizza or bagels once a month is going to "keep" anyone "fat." I have bagels just about every morning for breakfast, and pizza at least once a week. Tootsie rolls are about 23 calories each. Most people I've seen might grab one on the way in and one on the way out. For shame... 46 extra calories. :laugh:
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I love that so many people hate Planet Fitness. If everyone thought it was the greatest gym ever, if it catered to everyone, it would be entirely too crowded.

I like it for what it is. A beginner's gym. Want more? Fine. You'll have to pay more. I'm probably on the verge of "outgrowing" it, but I'm not yet willing to give up the super-low cost of PF for a better gym.

Yes, and most of them that hate it have never been members, they just comment based on what they've heard about it.