Woman Belly...

Options
Ok, I've been consistently losing weight on MFP since August 2011. I started at 182 lbs. and had my original goal weight being 140, now my goal is 135. I'm now happy to say I've made it into the 140s (147) however I have a complaint. I thought for sure I would have less of a belly by the time I hit the 140s. I don't.

I'm one of those people who holds weight in the midsection like crazy. And to make matters worse I have what I can describe as being the sloppy looking belly! The fat partially collects over my belly button and makes my belly button look sad and closed. I know this might sound too graphic. I doubt anyone knows what I'm talking about unless they've had it or seen it. Anyway, I've consistently checked back on the success stories boards and have yet to find any woman post a picture of their belly that looks similar to mine. I want to know what does my belly turn into once it's flat!? At what weight will it become flatter where my navel looks like a circle and not impeded by excess fat!!??

All I'm asking is is there anyone else out there with belly problems like this? Every woman I've seen post pictures of themselves--even at a higher weight than 140 have had slightly rounded or flat bellies and all of them have the symmetrical navel area.

Just as an added tidbit; I measure myself every two weeks and find it odd that my around the navel waist measurement is 37 inches and when I looked it up apparently I'm considered "obese" with that kind of measurement! I've lost 35 lbs. now! Ugh!

Here is my strand of progress pictures. I take pictures every ten pounds lost so the last taken was at 152. I'm now 147.

6775343940_f43fd2f428.jpg
My Fitness Pal by BlauKristall, on Flickr

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    BUMP! I've gone from 160 to 124 and my belly is constantly the same! >:(
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I'm tempted to post a picture but I was kind of waiting to do that when I hit my goal. :-/
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I have a poochy belly that's where I hold most of my fat and on my thighs.. I've just started working out though so I'm hoping to get toned up. Have you tried lifting weights?
  • tequila09
    Options
    I'm tempted to post a picture but I was kind of waiting to do that when I hit my goal. :-/

It could be the before!!
  • CrystalFlury
    Options
    I have a poochy belly that's where I hold most of my fat and on my thighs.. I've just started working out though so I'm hoping to get toned up. Have you tried lifting weights?

Yup, I do strength, cardio, abs... nothing has really fixed my issue. Yeah, I've become visibly smaller but it still holds the same shape. If that makes sense...
  • CrystalFlury
    Options
    I'll just go ahead and post my progress pictures... brb
  • tequila09
    Options
    I know what you mean the smallest I got to was 141 and I still had the same belly, I lost inches but still had a belly. I didn't lose the weight healthy or exercise so this time I'm hoping it goes down with weight lifting :/
  • phy40
    phy40 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Start by lying on your back on an exercise mat or carpet. Bend your knees so your feet are flat on the mat. Squeeze your gluteal muscles ...I have the same problem. Best wishes!
  • phy40
    phy40 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Jumping rope and jumping jacks are good ways to move the belly fat also.
  • jacquelyn_erika
    jacquelyn_erika Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I am interested to see the answers to this. Your story sounds just like mine. I started out about 16 pounds heavier, but you and I are currently at the same weight and I have the sad bellybutton, too. It's depressing :/
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I also hold all my weight in my stomach.
    I now weigh 119 lbs and still dont have a flat stomach! I need to be working on it all the time and eating no sugar or be 113lbs for it to be flat.
    I do some workouts that really seem to help. Jillan's 6 week 6 pack. Billy Blanks Insane abs. Zumba abs.
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I'm exactly the same. I've lost 60lbs, dropped 4 dress sizes and look quite slim but the belly is still flabby and hangs over. I think I'm stuck with it :sad:
  • kspoon5
    kspoon5 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I will have the same outcome and in the past I have had too much focus on it and it caused me to quit. Everything I have read says you can't correct the stomach without cardio cardio cardio so I guess I will see I have about 23 lbs to go .... and I am not quitting this time !
  • MonDeee
    MonDeee Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I think the "sad belly button" is totally genetic. Both my father an I have this, no matter what weight.
    For reducing belly fat specifically, it may be your diet. Do you eat a lot of wheat or sugar? As soon as you cut those down you should see a flatter belly.
  • CrystalFlury
    Options
    Bump!
  • dlperry65
    Options
    Lost 30+ pounds a few years ago and the belly got smaller but was still very much there. This time around have been taking fish oil with DHA. Happy to report the belly is flatter. Am taking the fish oil to reduce cholesterol but the loss of the belly fat has been a wonderful side affect! Good luck.
  • cspark1982
    Options
    I'm no help but I hope you can sort it out and 'fix' it
  • xosmsox
    xosmsox Posts: 119
    Options
    I wish I had some helpful advice, unfortunately I'm in the same boat as you! My lower belly is so flabby ): but I have to add that your progress pica are incredible! You look wonderful, frowning belly button or not y ou are looking sexy girl! Congratulations on a incredible achievement
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!