When to Push and When to Pull Out

Options
I've been working on my running, as I love running. However I've been having problems with my ankles (the swell up and hurt) and a trick hip that likes to pop out in the middle of a run. I don't want these things to stop me. So I ask, when do you push throw pain and when should you pull out all together?

Replies

• gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Lol. @ your topic
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I've been working on my running, as I love running. However I've been having problems with my ankles (the swell up and hurt) and a trick hip that likes to pop out in the middle of a run. I don't want these things to stop me. So I ask, when do you push throw pain and when should you pull out all together?

You will say that I always recommend the same thing but I know many girls that when they started strenght training, those kind of problem go away.
    Sorry I can't help you with your question :)
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Lol. @ your topic

Glad I'm not the only one who read it that way...
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    If it hurts, I say "pull out."
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I agree with gp79. I must admit I opened this after reading your topic header! ha ha! Pull out!
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    In my opinion if the pain you are feeling means that something is terribly wrong, then you should stop. You do not want to push through something only to injure yourself.

I have bad hips and a bad knee, the best thing I did was do PT and get exercises to help strengthen those muscles. Since I have done that- I have not had any issues with pain.
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Have you tried lube?
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Topic is misleading. :brokenheart:
    I say always pull out.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options

ok, so Im a perv for clicking, but what ever.......

gotta listen to your bod, there is a thin line between pushing your body and joints out of their comfort zone, and causing injury. I have pushed through shin splints and had to take 2 weeks off to recover because they got so bad that my shins were bruised and lumpy looking and I could not even walk.

the only time I have bailed on a run and called for a pick up, I was under dressed, dealing with a nasty cold and still tried to run, it was 19 degrees f with 20 mph winds and I got frost nip on my wedding tackle as it froze to my running pants. I was pretty much to the point of tears by the time my wife caught up with me.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    dang i feel like quagmire when he is misguided
    on topic you should really see a doctor and see what's wrong
  • sarajo16
    sarajo16 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Lol the topic name!!!
  • seoid
    seoid Posts: 151
    Options
    <
    mind in gutter
  • gleechick609
    Options
    I am going through the same thing (ankle pain) and calf/hammie pain. My doctor said my muscles were tight and that stretching was the only thing to do. I see a podiatrist next wednesday
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    It's always a safe bet to pull out.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options

Sounds to me like you really need to see an ortho doc or a sports medicine doc and have them let you know what is going on and when it is safe to push through the pain.
  • Tasha_uk
    Options
    I feel conned i was expecting something juicy lol
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    When you feel the sensation of explosion then you should pull out.....errrrr this is awkward.....

Not what I thought you were talking about......hmmmm mind in gutter as well
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    I believe with your running the advice should be the same as it would be for what I thought this thread would be discussing. When in doubt, Pull out!
  • cahart11
    Options
    Always pull out. Its better in the long run....Wait, whats this topic about?
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Topic is misleading. :brokenheart:
    I say always pull out.

Pulling out doesn't work.....I have a 7 year old to prove it.