When to Push and When to Pull Out

Options

Replies

• p0stdramatic
    Options
    Definitely got my attention. Bad pain means stop.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    If it hurts, I say "pull out."

Thats what she said
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I've been working on my running, as I love running. However I've been having problems with my ankles (the swell up and hurt) and a trick hip that likes to pop out in the middle of a run. I don't want these things to stop me. So I ask, when do you push throw pain and when should you pull out all together?

If I were you, I'd start a new topic, sans the words "pull out." :smile:
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    In my opinion if the pain you are feeling means that something is terribly wrong, then you should stop. You do not want to push through something only to injure yourself.

I have bad hips and a bad knee, the best thing I did was do PT and get exercises to help strengthen those muscles. Since I have done that- I have not had any issues with pain.
    ^ This... and what nicksolomon said. Being in pain from being winded or tired is one thing. Being in pain because of serious injury is another. Your body lets you know the difference. "Taking a break" is not the same as "giving up"... there's always an elliptical, bike or swimming if you want non-impact cardio. And as others have suggested - lifting works wonders too
  • margaretmillen
    Options
    I can't tell you when to throw in the towel, but I do know that my ankles swell with a combination of a lot of exercise and when I'm dehydrated so maybe you should drink extra water. When I started drinking more water than the recommended 8 cups a day on days that I work out excessively my ankles stopped swelling.
  • cnsmith2
    cnsmith2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    dang i feel like quagmire when he is misguided
    on topic you should really see a doctor and see what's wrong

GIGGITY
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Yeah so I also did a double take at the subject line. LOL
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Timing on pulling out is the key

**slides down into the gutter***
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    and that's....how to start a thread...
  • cspark1982
    Options
    Mind was most definantly in the gutter with this topic :)
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Awesome topic! grabbed my attention!
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    The pull out is not effective....

Ask my sister. She is on baby number three with the pull out method.

Wait. What?!?
  • JeanniebeanL79
    JeanniebeanL79 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Lol. @ your topic

I read it the same way too....I thought...hmmmm this could be interesting.
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Topic is misleading. :brokenheart:
    I say always pull out.

Pulling out doesn't work.....I have a 7 year old to prove it.

ROFLMAO! FTW!
  • cwitmer21
    cwitmer21 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had the same issues with running after I had my son. I went to see a chiropractor (find a highly recommended one in your area). You will have to see him a lot at first possibly 3 times a week, but you won't have to do that for long. Your hip sounds like it needs to be set back into place, and I've been told this is common for runners. The chiropractor can also help you with your ankle issues. You may have to wear a brace .... they actually had to pop mine back into place (it sounds worse that it is), but all of that pounding does take a toll on your body. I am not a doctor, but you sound like you have the same issues I had when I started running again after I took off 4 months when I was pregnant. ICE EVERYTHING AFTER YOU ARE DONE AND STRETCH YOUR HAMSTRINGS well - not so much before your run but after your run, before you go to bed, and especially when you wake up in the morning. You will notice a HUGE difference if you stretch and ice both your hip and ankle after a run too. Sucks getting old! :)
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the running is hard on your joints. I have similar issues and I don't run. I would see a doctor just to get the clear to either run, or advice not to run. I was told as a teen that I should stop all sports with jumping (like my favorite basketball) because my knee had so many problems. I was given the option: you can play now, OR you choose to be able to walk when you're 40. I'm over 40, and even though it was hard to give up the sports I loved, I'm grateful for the advice of the doctor. I was able to pursue other things, including strength training and even walking. Not as exciting, but still rewarding.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    In the immortal words of the Jerk's Navin R. Johnson...

- Don't trust Whitey.
    - Lord loves a workin' man.
    - See a doctor and get rid of it.

See a doctor and don't push through it unless you get an "all clear."
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    My advice, if you are thinking that you need to pull out, it's time to slow down.
    *remove mind from gutter*
    But seriously, for me, taking a bit of a break from running helped. I went down to running maybe twice a week, for ten minutes only, for a couple of weeks, and focused instead of low impact cardio. I went from being a couch tato to running, and my body gave up. Taking it a bit slower helped. Get my body used to that movement for a long duration on the elliptical, then start adding the high impact back into the equation.
    I have a funky hip too. I can't figure out how to get it back in place, but sometimes I can stretch just right that there is a glorious "pop" and suddenly I can run and everything moves how it should. Also have some pretty interesting issues with my left heel that tried to eat my soul when I started running.
    Best of luck!
  • sgtlittle
    sgtlittle Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Strengthen the muscles in those areas to provide support, then push harder, deeper, faster. OMG, chubbing...LMAO