Running: You are doing it wrong.

Options
Up until Mid September 2011 I ran in Asics shoes exclusively and Struck the ground with my heel. I had spent the previous year losing weight, learning to run, and building up my speed and distance.

Since I enjoyed running a good friend suggested I read a book called "Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen" By Christopher McDougall. First this is a fantastic book I would recommend to all runners or those who aspire to be runners. The book details how its possible that so many hobby runners get injured while wearing the most expensive shoes money can buy and how a hidden tribe can run for hundreds of miles...Yes I said hundreds, with out getting a injured wearing only a thin sandal.
Yes the book promotes barefoot running but, its not a commercial, it really does a fantastic job of explaining a lot of how our bodies work and what we are doing wrong and why.

Essentially after reading this book I decided to change how I run. I would say its probably a very high percentage of people that run, run by heel striking. I did too. However after reading the book and listening to the description I decided to change how I run. Quite honestly considering Id always been a heel striker I transitioned pretty easily over the course of about 3-4 runs. Yes I still wear shoes. In fact my Asics are still my primary shoe however I do own a pair of Zoots that Im learning to enjoy.

I basically just started trying to run the way the book described. Leaning slightly forward keeping my strides short and quick and maintaining my hips and my legs underneath my body instead of out in front and striking the ground at the mid or fore foot.

Guess what....I could run further and longer almost immediately. Remember I had been running for 1 and half years already I wouldn't suggest you try this on legs that are unconditioned.

You dont have to go barefoot or minimalist to run the way our bodies were designed you just have to start doing it.

This article promotes barefoot running but also gives a great detailed explanation about body position and posture. Give it a try for a couple weeks you will see great results
http://www.wildmovement.com/barefoot-running-technique

Replies

• TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    This is a great post with attached article. I'm pretty sure, even with all the barefoot running I did as a kid, I'm a "heel striker". The transition seems easy to accomplish if you put a little more thought into your stride. Thanks so much for the recommendation. All the best!
  • ambervargo
    ambervargo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Great book and great advice. I am as slow as ever but am not a heel striker and people don't beleive me when I tell them that. I feel like a lot of people perpetually sprint by definition, not run.
  • btdublin
    btdublin Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    bump
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    great book, and solid science behind it as well. I tried barefoot running and it was fun! I was so surprised at how comfortable it was.
  • Jme2012
    Jme2012 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    bump
  • allisshiney
    allisshiney Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Great book. Even if you not want to change your stride it is fantastic to read during training of before a big race.
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Has anyone on here actually really ran BAREFOOT? running in minimalist shoes is like skinny dipping in a speedo. Try running truely barefoot, its awesome!

i started w/ Vibrams, then Merrel trail gloves, then went full bare this fall and barefoot is a whole new world of awesome free running... then winter came. Can't wait for summer to come back so i can shed my shoes :D
  • demery12371
    demery12371 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Spamee
    Spamee Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have this book from the library...havent opened it yet...I will now. Thanks
  • agentscully514
    Options
    Yep, it is really well written. he's a good story teller.
    I did not become a runner, but I do run occasionally, and I totally changed what kind of shoes I wear for running or walking. Those big clunky motion-control shoes I wore for years were a huge mistake.
  • carynlondon
    carynlondon Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just finished this book, and it is fantastic. It's really made me rethink how I run as well. Thanks for posting!
  • agentscully514
    Options
    Has anyone on here actually really ran BAREFOOT? running in minimalist shoes is like skinny dipping in a speedo. Try running truely barefoot, its awesome!

yes I have, and it was great!! It was actually more comfortable on concrete than on soft ground. who knew?
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I've read that book (AMAZING!) as well as taken some seminars in Chi Running (similar ideas, mid-foot strike, lean forward, etc). I've found that when I specifically tried to alter my stride, it caused more injury and pain than how I ran previously.

However, over time (the last 1.5 years or so), I've noticed that my posture and running stride have changed subtly over time, to mirror some of these things (leaning forward, etc). I'm still more of a heel striker, but it works for me and I've never had a running injury (knock on wood) other than when I've pushed myself too hard, too fast and then I had shin splints or a couple of days with plantar fasciitis.

I'm glad it works for you, but not everyone needs to change their stride to run well. Try out different things, see if it works for you, and keep on running!
  • lyn267
    lyn267 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    bump
  • thinclo
    thinclo Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Bump, I don't have time to read this right now.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Sounds very much like Chi Running. Another pretty good read and designed for beginners. I'm still slow enough that it's easy to be mindful of technique. I'm sloppy one day, I'm in pain for days!
  • Fitwam
    Fitwam Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    bump