Running: You are doing it wrong.

Options

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I can't wear Asics any more, they give me blisters. I think I run like that naturally. I am more of a mid foot striker than heel. BUT the important thing is to run in a way that is natural to you. You can't force yourself to change your natural gait. But you do need to FIND your natural gait, which I think is something many people don't do.
  • kellyb63
    kellyb63 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am considering some Vibrams. I overpronate a little, have flat feet and a moderate bunion on the right foot. I do sometimes feel my Sauconys, Brooks etc weight me down. I'm a forefoot striker. I was talking to a lady at the gym who runs marathons, she switched to vibrams two years ago and swears they are the best thing for runners. Thanks for the post.
  • lovinlife71
    Options
    Thanks for posting!
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    LOVE THIS BOOK! I JUST finished reading it about a week ago (so weird to read about it here), I randomly found it at the library 3 weeks ago. A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!

(ps...it's also a GREAT story! Very good read!)

Jen
  • femme62209
    femme62209 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Bump! Thanks for the advice!
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    bump
  • jonny310580
    jonny310580 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gina1971
    gina1971 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am just getting back into running after a sesamoid break from overuse. I will definitely check this book out at the library. Thanks for the post!
  • jodren11
    jodren11 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bump
  • missy_1975
    missy_1975 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Bumpity boo
  • bnv08
    bnv08 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • r3d13
    r3d13 Posts: 139
    Options
    Bump :)
  • izerop
    izerop Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    To me, its not about the shoe... that's not what the OP is saying. It's about form. It's a good article and if you are in a rut with your running, this could be a positive change. I have honestly not even noticed my running form, but I have been running a while now and I think I will start paying attention.

For me, I can't seem to break 9 min miles I get there, and fall back down to 10 min miles. It is driving me crazy. My goal is run a half then a full marathon. My farthest (recent) run has been 5 miles, anyone have any other suggestions? :-)
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I will be checking out the book.
    I'm not sure i will ever run in bare feet or with those funky shoes, but I will have to listen and check it out.
    Heck, I cannot even tell you if I am a heal striker or not! lol...
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I've been considering purchasing some minimalist shoes and giving them a go over the summer when I won't be able to run long distances anyway. Barefoot will never be an option in the desert, however. If the pavement isn't too hot, it's littered with rocks, thorns and other sharp objects.
  • ezramedic
    Options
    My husband has been running in vibrams for a long time. He bought me a pair for Christmas, and I worked hard at changing how I run. I now run in adidas climacool oscillations as I got plantar fasciitis, and needed/wanted more arch support (I have high arches!)

However, I am much more comfortable running now that I've changed HOW I do it!
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Are you actually running barefoot outside on sidewalks or say, along a beach or grassy areas? I'm curious because it sounds kind of painful!
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    What the heck does "bump" mean? Fist bump? Bumping up one's montivation? I dunno.

By replying briefly to a post it gets earmarked into the "my topics" section, this way it can be found easy since the posts change so fast....bump is just a word that is used to do this
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I started w/ VFFs but could not for the life of my get my stride correct, i was landing way too far forward on my toes which caused a TON of calf pain (which is expected but not still after MONths of running), so i got my merrell trail gloves which were okay but not long enough/big enouh in the toe box, so now i have new balance minimus and they are awesome, they have more of a 'traditional' running shoe feel but are still thin enough to feel connected w/ the earth. it really just depends on your body mechanics and findind something that works for you since everyone is built differently.
  • mommyami1
    mommyami1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know how barefoot running affects runners with fallen arches and perpetual IT problems and hip pain? I would love to know if anyone has found it has helped. I would do anything to not have to wear my orthotics everywhere I go.