Sugar?Splenda?Stevia?

Options

Replies

• Msjcooper
    Msjcooper Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Splenda is POISON stay away at all costs! Stevia is choice number one, then agave nectar, then honey then sugar (organic and the like).

Artificial sugars always make me hungry and they are poison for your body.

Rant over.
    Agree on the spenda rant please read the label on Agave nectar its almost entirely high fructose corn syrup.

Agave nectar contains NO H.F.C.S. whatsoever.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    OMG I mentioned once on the forums that I loved Agave Nectar in my tea and someone almost took my head clean off saying I was catering to the big corporations.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    NBEric, do a simple search on it. There are even articles claiming Splenda is responsible for the epidemic of MS.

http://www.womentowomen.com/healthyweight/splenda.aspx

http://www.livestrong.com/article/447584-what-are-the-dangers-of-splenda-sucralose-and-aspartame/

Since we are all here to lose weight, studies show that the use of artificial sweeteners may be part of the problem with 65% of all Americans being obese.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/02/080210183902.htm

People ASSUME, incorrectly, that the weight gain is due to people grabbing a candy bar since their soda was only 1 calorie. Not true. Read the entire article.

You do realize for every post you send me I can send you one back saying there is no conclusive evidence that it's bad for you. I'm not trying to be argumentative but it was a pretty bold statement saying that it's POISON when there are still no conclusive proof. There is just no long term studies yet, I personally use it from time to time but prefer honey or agave nectar in my tea.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I use stevia since its a natural sweetener but if only diabetes didn't get in my way, I would just use regular sugar instead.
  • Dahavol
    Options
    Splenda is POISON stay away at all costs! Stevia is choice number one, then agave nectar, then honey then sugar (organic and the like).

Rant over.

Seriously? these are the weakest links I have ever clicked on.
    AGREE... Agave Nectar is another one I use for baking and coffee.

Please do some research before you state "facts"

published review of the studies involving the safety of sucralose :

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19464334

where to find peer reviewed studies by reputable scientific sources :

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/

the take home message : it isn't poison.

These links are not any better!!!

A link to the National Institute of Health's library of medical studies is not any better than the links to articles written by authors of commercial websites with no citations or peer reviewed research? :huh:
  • jjedrey
    jjedrey Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use Stevia but Agave Nectar is awesome too.
  • Raina27
    Raina27 Posts: 133
    Options
    I agree!! Just plain ol sugar for me!
  • jilltaylor86
    jilltaylor86 Posts: 87 Member
    Options

Rant over.

Agave nectar is actually bad for you, worse than high fructose corn syrup. It has a funny taste, too. I like the 365 brand stevia in packets from Whole Foods, or just regular or brown sugar.
  • TanyaCurtis
    Options
    STEVIA!!!!!! Best and Healthiest one out there for Artificial Sugars!!
  • nstrampe
    Options
    [A link to the National Institute of Health's library of medical studies is not any better than the links to articles written by authors of commercial websites with no citations or peer reviewed research? :huh:

LOL...You have to keep in mind the National Institute of Health's library of medical studies uses BIG words, and no exclamation marks or scary statements - just dry boring facts....:laugh:
  • luvviebug
    luvviebug Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is what my mom's gastric bypass doc told her:
    Avoid all artificial sweeteners at all costs, except for Stevia. Do NOT substitute with Truvia, they aren't the same thing. Regular sugar and HFC is fine, in moderation.
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Health-wise raw sugar cane, molasses, raw honey, Stevia, agave nectar, etc are healthier for you. Natural is always healthier than unnatural.
    In terms of blood sugar and calorie count, Stevia blows everyone else out of the water.

It's literally the only sweetner I've added to anything since 2004.
  • AllynKey
    Options
    Stevia
  • Sugarchef
    Sugarchef Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Yes? Oh, I thought you were talking to me ;)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I've got some stevia in the cupboard, but don't really use it. I just go for regular sugar most of the time, which is to say, about 2 tsp a day in my oats.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I hate stevia. I really hate splenda. I hate aspartame. I just use sugar. Most sugar packets are 15 calories or so. Not going to kill you unless you have issues with sugar (medical ones)
  • sharonucd
    Options
    i use stevia and it's natural and better for your body/digestion than sugar or splenda. if you don't like stevia, use honey or agave syrup.
  • Nos150
    Nos150 Posts: 150
    Options
    who do you trust more?

A chemist

or

a plant doing its natural thing?
  • mstormth
    mstormth Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    stevia is not available in Canada.

Is splendia equivalant?
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, Xylitol is the best substitute, hands down. That and erythitol. Both are natural, have very, very little calories, minimal effect on blood sugar and taste fantastic. Erythitol has a slight cooling effect (note: do not make merigue cookies with erythitol-- i made that mistake it they were ridiculous... lol), but xylitol is hands down fantastic. I buy Ideal brand. :)