Sugar?Splenda?Stevia?

Options

Replies

• luvviebug
    luvviebug Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Go to most European countries, and you won't be able to find most artificial sweeteners. Why? Because they've done studies that show most artificial sweeteners pickle your stomach with formaldehyde, which IS a poison.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I personally try to avoid artificial sweeteners. I'm skeptical about how good they really are for you, and some reports have indicated they may inhibit weight loss.

More than anything though, I avoid them because I need to train my body to stop expecting overly sugary things. I try to reach for natural sugars now, rather than processed ones (including regular white sugar.) If I want something sweet, I grab a piece of fruit, and if I want to sweeten something I prefer to use honey or agave syrup. Agave syrup especially is great because it's minimally processed and is mostly fructose.
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I like brown sugar or organic honey :smile: just my personal preference.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    I'm all the sugar you need! I make anything sweet:wink:
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    stevia
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

*kisses the guns*
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    who do you trust more?

A chemist

or

a plant doing its natural thing?

There area a lot of plants I don't trust. Like poison ivy :P
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options

*kisses the guns*
    Mmhhmm dats right
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I tend to use honey as my drug of choice.. I mean sweetener of choice. :happy:
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Go to most European countries, and you won't be able to find most artificial sweeteners. Why? Because they've done studies that show most artificial sweeteners pickle your stomach with formaldehyde, which IS a poison.

AwJeezNotThisSheetAgain1.jpg
  • PaulaJKelly
    Options
    Dr. Oz did a segment and mentioned "coconut palm sugar" Supposed to be lower on the glycemic scale and you use it in the same proportion as regular sugar. Check his website, probably, for more details.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I'm so naturally sweet I just usually use my **** to stir stuff.
  • Allic1971
    Allic1971 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I use, CSR Smart - a blend of natural cane sugar with a pinch of stevia, and I like the taste, also you only need half as much.
  • SeaStar
    SeaStar Posts: 113
    Options
    I LOVE stevia! I put a dash in my oatmeal and tea each morning :) It's wonderful
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Whatever you like is what's best.
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    It depends on what I'm needing the sweetener for. When I bake, I use either molasses, honey, or raw sugar. I bake my own bread, so that's usually only a couple of tablespoons. When I'm adding sweetener to my coffee, I use Stevia that I get from Puritan's Pride (ingredients are stevia and fiber - nothing else, unlike some others). I'm getting ready to experiment with Xylitol to see if it's as great as the rest of the world says it is.

Since I stopped using Splenda and Equal, I have lost weight without trying and if I grab a diet drink or something sweetened with Splenda, my bowels revolt. I never had that problem when I was using the two sweeteners heavily, only since I stopped using them.

:-)

Link to Xylitol info:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol
  • Sierra_419
    Sierra_419 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    i use truvia...
    is that the same as stevia ?
    *shrugs* ...
    i dont use sugar in my tea anymore..
    the only thing i use truvia for is my strawberries... generally.
    i use regular sugar in baked goods.. splenda makes things taste icky : /
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Go to a restaurant and sample all 3 or 4 or whatever they have on the table. lol Then pick the one you like the best. I prefer Splenda myself and there is no aftertaste unless you are eating it with something that has sugar in it! My opinion anyway.
    I'd rather use sugar but I want the extra calories for 'food'. There is no way I'm going to waste 170 calories on a beverage when I can sweeten it with ZERO calories!
    Do what works for you.
  • snookeroo
    snookeroo Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Look into IDEAL NO CALORIE SWEETENER. It is made from Xylitol. It has absolutely no aftertaste. It is cheaper than Truvia and Sweet & Low. It measures the same as sugar. It is NOT and artificial sweetener. I have been using it for a couple of years...coffee, iced tea, cooking, everything. If you email them, they will send you free samples. Nothing to lose...but calories!

http://www.idealsweet.com/
  • Sb65513n
    Sb65513n Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Splenda is POISON stay away at all costs! Stevia is choice number one, then agave nectar, then honey then sugar (organic and the like).

Artificial sugars always make me hungry and they are poison for your body.

Rant over.
    Agree on the spenda rant please read the label on Agave nectar its almost entirely high fructose corn syrup.

Agave nectar contains NO H.F.C.S. whatsoever.

http://www.foodrenegade.com/agave-nectar-good-or-bad/

Made identically to HFCS..

Everyone likes what they like, I personally wouldn't put that in my body if I want a sweetener 'like sugar' I'll use sugar in moderation.