Did you know....

Options
124»

Replies

• Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Humans and Dolphins are the only species that have sex for pleasure.

Not true, sorry. Bonobo (sp) apes go at it like errrrr rabbits.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    All porcupines float in water.

Therefore, they are made of wood, and must be witches.

Burn them! BURN THEM.

What do we burn, apart from witches?

But what else floats?
    A DUCK!

therefore porcupines are ducks.
    its SCIENCE!
  • MrDude_1
    Options
    Fascinating Fact: Sperm is good for the skin

The proteins in sperm have a tightening effect on the skin. When sperm is left to dry, the evaporation of the water in it leaves behind protein which can help to reduce wrinkles. While this may be an excellent anti-aging treatment, the obvious downside is that you have to walk around with sperm on your face. :ohwell:

I have printed this out and placed it in my wallet to share. wish me luck.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    All porcupines float in water.

Therefore, they are made of wood, and must be witches.

Burn them! BURN THEM.

What do we burn, apart from witches?

But what else floats?
    A DUCK!

therefore porcupines are ducks.
    its SCIENCE!

You 2 totally made my afternoon lol
  • cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    If you click on a link with your scroll wheel button it opens in a new tab in your browser.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    "Ring Around the Rosie" is actually about the black plague and people dying, hence the "we all fall down".

Gotta call you on this one. Ring Around the Rosie didn't appear in print until 1881.

1347 was the first bubonic plague, then there was the Black Death plague in 1665. And yet no one bothered to write it down until 800 (or 500 depending on what plague you want to go with) years later? Suspicious.
  • avafrisbee
    avafrisbee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    red hair is a genetic mutation to produce more vitamin D. This is why red heads often have northern European or Scandinavian ancestry. It's cold and dark in the Winter and thanks to all the rain, not much Sun in the Summer either.
  • avafrisbee
    Options
    "Ring Around the Rosie" is actually about the black plague and people dying, hence the "we all fall down".

Gotta call you on this one. Ring Around the Rosie didn't appear in print until 1881.

1347 was the first bubonic plague, then there was the Black Death plague in 1665. And yet no one bothered to write it down until 800 (or 500 depending on what plague you want to go with) years later? Suspicious.

Not many people bothered to write children's games down in the middle ages because most people couldn't write. If they did I doubt they'd pay a bunch of monks to copy it out a million times for the benefit of children that couldn't read. Even after the printing press was invented, what is the point and where is the profit is printing for children that still couldn't read? But oral traditions get passed down all the same. Eventually probably in the 1800's when printing became cheaper and literacy rates were on the rise it became profitable to print children's stories and games and books.
  • MrDude_1
    Options
    If you click on a link with your scroll wheel button it opens in a new tab in your browser.

yea.
    i still do the right click out of habit though.
  • cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    It's possible to die from a broken heart; it's called Stress Cardiomyopathy.
  • hannahagraham
    Options
    So what's it called when you swear you feel your phone vibrating and it hasn't gone off or even worse isn't in your pocket? LOL

This happens to me ALL the time..
    And i'm not the only one.
    We call it "Phantom Vibrations".
    LOLrus
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options

Not many people bothered to write children's games down in the middle ages because most people couldn't write. If they did I doubt they'd pay a bunch of monks to copy it out a million times for the benefit of children that couldn't read. Even after the printing press was invented, what is the point and where is the profit is printing for children that still couldn't read? But oral traditions get passed down all the same. Eventually probably in the 1800's when printing became cheaper and literacy rates were on the rise it became profitable to print children's stories and games and books.

Very true. But the fact remains that the first 'plague' interpretation of this rhyme was not offered until 1961. (Sorry, very big into the stories behind nursery rhymes and fairy tales.) You'd think someone would have mentioned it before then if that was the origin.
  • ChirishGirl
    Options
    The world's largest rodent is the capybara.

capy10.jpg

Not true... I think it's my ex...
  • Elibasia
    Elibasia Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    There is a new fear called nomophobia..

it is the fear of losing/not having ones cell phone..

OMG I totally have this! *bites lip in fear*

The other day I was getting out of the car and got very frantic looking for my phone. Looked through purse, console, passenger seat, all on my right side....while holding my phone with my left hand.

I've done this a few times. It really freaks me out when I can't find my phone. My favorite was when I was talking on my phone while looking for my phone, and finally yelled "I can't find my phone!" to the person that I was talking to on my phone. Their reply: "Um, honey, you're on your phone."
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Elibasia
    Elibasia Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Fascinating Fact: Sperm is good for the skin

The proteins in sperm have a tightening effect on the skin. When sperm is left to dry, the evaporation of the water in it leaves behind protein which can help to reduce wrinkles. While this may be an excellent anti-aging treatment, the obvious downside is that you have to walk around with sperm on your face. :ohwell:

I have printed this out and placed it in my wallet to share. wish me luck.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • avafrisbee
    Options

Very true. But the fact remains that the first 'plague' interpretation of this rhyme was not offered until 1961. (Sorry, very big into the stories behind nursery rhymes and fairy tales.) You'd think someone would have mentioned it before then if that was the origin.

Not necessarily, it may not have been important enough to any one to look at before then. I mean children were "to be seen not heard" and pretty much hidden away to be taken care of by governesses or sent to the work house well into the 20th century. I mean you read what Victorian parents did to their children. Children didn't even receive anesthesia for dental work at one point because some doctor claimed their nerves weren't developed. So you hear your child screaming in pain and the doctor telling you "no he's not in pain, he's just scared'. Children were more like pets than humans at that time. Then dealing with 2 major world wars where every bit of research and talent was devoted to war effort (really I can't imagine someone saying to their university "I would like grant money to determine the origin of children's nursery rhymes in 1941). Followed by trying to kick the USSR's butt at everything. Probably wasn't until the late 50's or early 60's that the question was even brought up. I'm not saying I know for a fact that it is the origin of the nursery rhyme, I'm just saying that it is still possible due to oral traditions and the atmosphere and mentality regarding children at the time.

only fyi if I hear my son screaming in pain. I don't let someone tell me he's scared. I know the difference between the ouch cry and the "holy crap what the heck is that" cry.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    DoubleFacePalm.jpg
  • laurenkoszola
    laurenkoszola Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    OMG I totally have this! *bites lip in fear*

The other day I was getting out of the car and got very frantic looking for my phone. Looked through purse, console, passenger seat, all on my right side....while holding my phone with my left hand.
    [/quote]

LMAO that is me too! I freaked out until I realized I was on the phone that's why I couldn't find it! Blonde moment!! :laugh:
  • ladycypress
    ladycypress Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    So what's it called when you swear you feel your phone vibrating and it hasn't gone off or even worse isn't in your pocket? LOL

Lucky. Very, very lucky! :wink: