Low bar squats

Options
I read about trying low bar squats and how they will transform the squat. I tried to hold the bar lower on my back while doing squats yesterday and felt more of my butt involved which I loved! Does anyone know the exact place to hold it when doing these? I want to make sure I am holding the bar correctly. Also, does anyone find that holding the bar lower works better?

Replies

• HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Good stuff.

The low bar will lead to less of a knee angle and more of a hip angle at the bottom of the squat, so you'll use less quads and more glutes, as you've noticed.

The best place to put the bar is just below the spine of your scapula - that's the horizontal ridge you can feel at the top of your shoulder blades.

Hopefully that makes sense, if not let me know and I will try and explain better.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 826 Member
    Options

:)
  • LJC44
    LJC44 Posts: 221
    Options
    I do believe I know what you mean..hopefully! I truly wish I would have tried this a long time ago!! I always made sure my knees did not go over my feet but this is much easier for me and feels better! Although I did hit the bar off the back of my neck by accident haha.
  • HelloDan
    Options
    I hope you didn't have too much weight on it!
    To stop the bar dropping, you really need to squeeze your shoulder blades together, and press the bar against your back with your hands, rather than hold it in your hands.

The high bar squats are also called "Olympic squats" as they are more commonly used by Olympic lifters, as opposed to the low bar, which is more commonly used by powerlifters, and allows you to lift a greater weight.

I don't know how into training you are, but if you also want to do the Olympic squats, it's pretty hard to not let the knee go over the foot, and reach depth. Although some people think this is bad, it's generally fine. In fact if you look at weight lifting shoes, they have a higher heel to encourage this, so that it's easier to get depth when squatting.
  • janegalt37
    janegalt37 Posts: 270 Member
    Options

Thanks for that video. Interestingly, I had never seen a high bar back squat with the spine in compression. In all the vids I've been watching the past few weeks, the spine was always more in rotation and the knees over the feet. However, I believe these were not being taught as a progression into Olympic lifts, which makes all the difference, I suppose. That explanation and demonstration were great.

Great video.
  • LJC44
    Options
    I hope you didn't have too much weight on it!
    To stop the bar dropping, you really need to squeeze your shoulder blades together, and press the bar against your back with your hands, rather than hold it in your hands.

The high bar squats are also called "Olympic squats" as they are more commonly used by Olympic lifters, as opposed to the low bar, which is more commonly used by powerlifters, and allows you to lift a greater weight.

I don't know how into training you are, but if you also want to do the Olympic squats, it's pretty hard to not let the knee go over the foot, and reach depth. Although some people think this is bad, it's generally fine. In fact if you look at weight lifting shoes, they have a higher heel to encourage this, so that it's easier to get depth when squatting.

I did not go over my knees. I try not to because my knees hurt easily and if I do not do a leg exercise properly I feel it. I guess I am scared to let them go over my knees but I will trust that it will be fine to do that. How far apart are your legs? I started training years ago. After my trainer I continued to do it myself. As I got older I realized I was not doing as much I used to. I am trying to get back to the heavy again. I can never be the very light lifter though! I do not like high reps no matter what anyone says ha! Anyway back to the squat, I will continue to work on the lower bar..but I am surprised no one told me to do this earlier!
  • LJC44
    Options

Thank you!!
  • HelloDan
    Options
    I did not go over my knees. I try not to because my knees hurt easily and if I do not do a leg exercise properly I feel it. I guess I am scared to let them go over my knees but I will trust that it will be fine to do that. How far apart are your legs? I started training years ago. After my trainer I continued to do it myself. As I got older I realized I was not doing as much I used to. I am trying to get back to the heavy again. I can never be the very light lifter though! I do not like high reps no matter what anyone says ha! Anyway back to the squat, I will continue to work on the lower bar..but I am surprised no one told me to do this earlier!

If you get any pain from it, be careful, better to play it safe, rather than get injured.

When I squat, my legs are a bit wider than shoulder width, but not so wide that my knees aren't over my feet - as in if you look from front or back, my shin would be vertical, rather than my knees coming in (like knock knees), which is not good.

When exercising, I agree, heavy weight is good (not when accidentally knocking the bar off the back of your neck though!), and I'm not a fan of light weight and high reps, I could go into that, but that can be another thread for another day.
    If it's a new movement to you though like the low bar position, get the form right first and then worry more about the weight. As long as your progressing and adding some weight each workout, you'll easily and safely get back to heavy.
  • HelloDan
    Options

Cool video, could have saved myself some keyboard wear with that!
  • LJC44
    Options

If you get any pain from it, be careful, better to play it safe, rather than get injured.

When I squat, my legs are a bit wider than shoulder width, but not so wide that my knees aren't over my feet - as in if you look from front or back, my shin would be vertical, rather than my knees coming in (like knock knees), which is not good.

When exercising, I agree, heavy weight is good (not when accidentally knocking the bar off the back of your neck though!), and I'm not a fan of light weight and high reps, I could go into that, but that can be another thread for another day.
    If it's a new movement to you though like the low bar position, get the form right first and then worry more about the weight. As long as your progressing and adding some weight each workout, you'll easily and safely get back to heavy.

I only used 45 lbs to start because I waned to get the form. I will have to ask for someone to spot if I want to increase my weight blahh haha.
  • jenniferenz
    jenniferenz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes and yes! This really does work by forcing you to hold the correct form for a squat. The bar should be right across the middle of your shoulder blades ( think a few inches lower than is comfortable) to get the right positiion. You get more into your glutes because you are loading your quads less and keeping the weight further back. It's the form most power lifters use to maximimize strength in their glutes at the bottom of the squat!
  • LJC44
    Options
    Yes and yes! This really does work by forcing you to hold the correct form for a squat. The bar should be right across the middle of your shoulder blades ( think a few inches lower than is comfortable) to get the right positiion. You get more into your glutes because you are loading your quads less and keeping the weight further back. It's the form most power lifters use to maximimize strength in their glutes at the bottom of the squat!

I can't believe my trainer did not tell me that when I went to him years ago. He was so into the heavy lifting and legs!