Running good or bad?

Options
13»

Replies

• hottiebikerchick
    hottiebikerchick Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I just started C25K this week... and Im liking it and I just jog- No running for this FATgirl....LOL but Im feeling great! and Im at 230lbs- If I can do it anyone can!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I spent a year focusing on running. It has it's pros and cons, but if it's something you enjoy doing and something that works for you and allows you to keep active, then do it.

Everyone has an opinion, but finding what works for you is what you should stay focused on.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    I was a fat *kitten* when I started running 3 yrs ago. I didn't die. I was running a 14 min mile but I ran, lost weight, got healthy and now my fasted mile is 6.21. You can do it. Listen to your body not a chiropracter that doesn't run. You're doing awesome..Keep it up.
  • hottiebikerchick
    hottiebikerchick Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    ....and besides is being overweight that much healthier....Im just sayin.....
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    cinderbay - what does he know about you that qualify him to make that statement? I truly live in a world I don't understand.

I think your PCP is much more qualified to make statements related to your medical condition and the stress you are about to put on your body.

• ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I think you and your doctor are much smarter than the chiropractor - he should be encouraging people to run if he thinks it's bad for you - that would make him more business <sarcasm>
  • jillyt85
    jillyt85 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've told my sister in law (who is a chiropractor) and my chiropractor that I've been running and they think it's great. They don't personally like that exercise for themselves, but they think I'm doing awesom for running.
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I was a fat *kitten* when I started running 3 yrs ago. I didn't die. I was running a 14 min mile but I ran, lost weight, got healthy and now my fasted mile is 6.21. You can do it. Listen to your body not a chiropracter that doesn't run. You're doing awesome..Keep it up.

You're making me feel better about y 14 minute miles :)
  • asia_hanebach
    asia_hanebach Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Chiropracters are not an MD. They don't have extensive medical training nor do they understand the in's and out's of the body. I'm not hating on them, but really if your physician is OK with it then go ahead. I would suggest that if you want to start running start slow and use a C25k program as you have selected. Listen to your body and progress at your own pace.

^^This!! Chriopractors are not actual doctors. Anything recommended by them should always always always be confirmed by an actual trained MD.
  • BriaMc
    BriaMc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    My chiro runs to work (20 miles) 2 days a week. As long as you take care of your body, have "off" rest days, you should be fine!
  • jillyt85
    jillyt85 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I think you and your doctor are much smarter than the chiropractor - he should be encouraging people to run if he thinks it's bad for you - that would make him more business <sarcasm>

Chiropractors ARE doctors. DC. Stands for doctor of chiropractic. They spend more hours in lab than medical doctors and study HEALTH and wellness...medical doctors study medicine and for the most part, know very little about health. They know how to write prescriptions.
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    As another poster said...look up good running form. Running does not have to be hard on your knees. :)
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options

You're making me feel better about y 14 minute miles :)

I second that!!!!! I get overjoyed when I run a 12 minute mile...and that only ever happens for the very first mile of however many I'm running.