Low Sodium Lunch Meat?

Options
Hey, I'm Matt from Philly. Wondering if anyone knows of any GOOD tasting lunch meats? Trying to monitor my sodium intake. Never realize how much sodium I eat on a daily basis till I joined MFP. Thank you.

Replies

• ericcumbee
    ericcumbee Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    this is about the best i have found, its pretty good though.
    http://www.jennieo.com/products/49-DELI-FAVORITESR-Oven-Roasted-Reduced-Sodium-Turkey-Breast
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    There aren't too many. I can't find any in my local stores so I stick to Tuna (that I rinse to get most of the sodium off) and then I bake extra chicken breasts for the week and cut them up and use them. Sometimes I get crazy and do a turkey breast. As long as you cook them with spices and no salt the sodium stays low (meat naturally has sodium so there is still some). I usually throw in the crockpot with rosemary and garlic.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    The best option is to cook your own meat and use it on a sandwich. :)
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    hillshire farms makes a "lower sodium" version of the ham and turkey but it's still like 400 something sodium for only one ounce (like 5-6 thinner slices). I'll be interested to also! I used to eat it regularly with breakfast but cut it out to stop going over in sodium every day
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    The best option is to cook your own meat and use it on a sandwich. :)

this....cook a bunch of boneless skinless chicken breast and throw it in the fridge or freezer. don't buy the pre frozen chicken breast though. the sodium in some of the brands is just as bad as deli meat.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Hi Matt from Philly.
    You can get Boars Head Brand Low Sodium lunch meats
    http://www.boarshead.com/nutrition.php

or

Dietz and Watson
    http://www.dietzandwatson.com/our-products/low-sodium/

Debbie from Philly
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Boars Head low sodium cold cuts are delicious and very low in sodium. Kind of expensive but well worth it.
  • pumalama
    pumalama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    http://www.lowsaltfoods.com/food_center/lsfoods/meat.htm

have a look there, it may give you some ideas too.
  • AmandaK3
    Options
    It is better to just make your own. Not only does deli meat contain lots of sodium, it can be full of lots of other nasty stuff.

I bought a vacuum sealer a while back, and I don't know what I'd do with out it. Basically I will cook up a nice big beef or bison roast (with lots of garlic and rosemary), slice it up and divide it into a few days worth of sandwiches. Then it will freeze nice and last a lot longer. Pound for pound it's WAY cheaper too.

This works awesome for turkey and chicken to of course.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    If you eat chicken or turkey just shave some off for sandwiches.

I've had the hillshire low sodium they are pretty good. One I had I THINK was oscar myer it was grained like turkey it was so much better but the cost is not productive for me. I do better just cooking extra chicken at dinner and use it for lunches.
  • atay18
    atay18 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If you start eating low sodium meat that others have talked about, first you may think it is bland. But eventually your taste buds change. Then, when you eat full sodium meat, you will gag from the huge amount of salt. It is AMAZING how salty that stuff is.
  • Jeyed
    Jeyed Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Wegmans - just turkey or their organic turkey. I believe there are a few Wegman's in the Philadelphia area.
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    If you start eating low sodium meat that others have talked about, first you may think it is bland. But eventually your taste buds change. Then, when you eat full sodium meat, you will gag from the huge amount of salt. It is AMAZING how salty that stuff is.

yes this definitely happens! but you will adjust and realize less salty tastes sooo much better!

also, i make my own chicken meat and shred it or half a chicken breast and use it in a sandwich with whatever you can think of to please your taste buds (healthily of course!)
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm Matt from Philly. Wondering if anyone knows of any GOOD tasting lunch meats? Trying to monitor my sodium intake. Never realize how much sodium I eat on a daily basis till I joined MFP. Thank you.
    Cook your meat.
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    does anyone know if the sodium content in the lunchmeat you can buy from the deli counter is high?
  • matto7347
    matto7347 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!!!. You gave me lots of insight on where to look and ideas about cooking my own meats. Thanks , again!!
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Market Pantry lower sodium ham from Target has 55% less sodium and tastes pretty good.

I don't lunchmeat very often because even lower sodium lunch meats still have lots of sodium. I had to quit Subway and Potbellys too. I never knew sandwiches could be so evil.

I make my own tuna salad or chicken salad for sandwiches to help keep the sodium under control. And I eat a lot of non-sandwich lunches.
  • cutierc72
    Options
    I use Land O' Lakes Naturally Slender Cheese and the Healthy Choice lunch meats. They are pretty good but can get expensive. It seems healthier eating is more expensive.
  • matto7347
    matto7347 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • spinachetr
    spinachetr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love Wegman's Just Turkey lunchmeat. It has 40mg sodium in a 2oz serving and only 60 cals. It tastes like you just carved it straight from the bird on Thanksgiving. It's over $9 a pound, but worth it. I have eaten it almost everyday for the past 2 months and have yet to get sick of it. http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10052&catalogId=10002&productId=358623